Why don’t my batteries last !!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walmart top battery in the big size for a Tahoe has a four year replacement warranty - when I last looked. Had good luck with their batteries overall.
No joke, that is all I used when I worked there in the early 2000s. And the old yellow "MAXX" batteries lasted forever. I put a couple in my dad's company vehicles and they lasted 7 or 8 years. And I had one that lasted 6 in my old Blazer, and it was shaken and knocked around, run dead a few times. But after a charge would be fine again.

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had similar luck seems like if they last 3 years it’s a miracle.

When mine finally gives out I’ll be swapping over to lithium to try out its around 450-500$ but has better constant voltage quick charge and lasts 10 years supposedly
View attachment 421529View attachment 421530
420$ but by the time you get the box and mounting hardware your over 500$

I quit using interstate batteries
I’ve had good luck with my diehard so far
My My we are so close. I think you need to add the Flux-Capacitor, available on ebay.
1708015139638.png

OP
OP
Kgitti

Kgitti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My orielly brand in my f150 is about 6 years old, the Silverado is 4 and I think the Tahoe is 3ish years old. It may be the heat, or are you short tripping alot and they don't fully charge?
Maybe. But on my Highlander I was still working full time and traveling all over the state.

OP
OP
Kgitti

Kgitti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pay good money for batteries I think, in the $200 range, and they last me from a year to 2.5 years. I’m not talking about just my 2002 Yukon, but also our Highlander and Rav 4. These have included Interstate, AAA (real junk). Diehard Gold etc.
I live in New Mexico and my vehicles live outside in the heat but jeez, has battery quality just gone in the ******* or am I buying the wrong battery?
If memory serves when I was a kid,
Batteries always outlasted the warranty significantly.

OP
OP
Kgitti

Kgitti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Search for "12v24v intelligent pulse repair charger." These are available on amaozon for under 30.00 and on other sellers for less that 20.00. I have two and use the repair function often on vehicles that may sit unused for a couple of months.
I’ve never heard of this. Thanks.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced one under warranty in my Yukon. It lasted 22 months.
did you at least get it pro rated on the cost of the new one?

im in NJ. it gets pretty hot here in the summer and pretty cold come winter. only time its failed on me was when i left the key to run for a hr by accident. and im only doing 4-5 miles each way to and from work, and dont work in the winter so it can sit for a week at a time. never a slow crank even.

have you checked for a power draw or if its charging it fully? older trucks the battery cables do go bad and fail flow current or ground out like they should.

RoosterTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a 2005 tahoe, since new i've basically had to replace the battery within 3yrs. Regardless of usage. Around that age, i will inevitably have a "no start" and need to be jumped. After being left in inconvenient spots a time or two, i always just replace the battery within 2yrs, especially if i know i'm about to go on a trip.

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
No joke, that is all I used when I worked there in the early 2000s. And the old yellow "MAXX" batteries lasted forever. I put a couple in my dad's company vehicles and they lasted 7 or 8 years. And I had one that lasted 6 in my old Blazer, and it was shaken and knocked around, run dead a few times. But after a charge would be fine again.
That was my experience with Optima yellow tops in the early 2000s. My 02 Tahoe had yellow tops (eventually dual yellow tops) that lasted almost 8 years first round, 4 or 5 on the second round, and just out of warranty the last time before I got the 09.

Manufacturer quality is not the same. IMHO, as the technology improved it allowed the companies to know how to build them to guarantee most last through their warranty, but not significantly exceed it so you’d need another.

And also IMHO, while someone could probably also do a 48 or 60 month battery at a premium price, I’ll bet their research indicated:
1) Not enough people would buy them at the same time-adjusted profit margin, and
2) There’s a higher risk that temperature extremes and short distance driving would cause premature failure and warranty claims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019