I might regret my purchase.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since we found out #3 was on the way, I’ve been on the lookout for an ESV to replace my 2012 Yukon Denali SWB. We’ve had the Yukon about 2.5 years. I love these trucks so I’ve done quite a bit to it and was basically “done” with it when we found out we were probably going to need more space. I decided a while ago if we ever replaced it that it would be with an Escalade because I like them better and in my mind that would be more of an upgrade for spending money vs just the space.

I’m pretty picky about what I want and am generally willing to wait for it. So I was on the lookout for a Black Ice, Xenon Blue (2012 only), Sapphire Blue (2013 only), or silver (which was the last choice since the Yukon is silver). Black Raven and White Diamond were absolutely not happening and since my 08 is red, I didn’t want two the same color. 2WD is very important to me. Wasn’t terrible particular in trim level but a Premium or Platinum was preferred and black interior a must. If you’ve shopped for these at all, you know how hard this was going to be to find. On Cargurus within a 500 mile radius there were 163 07-14 ESVs and only 17 were 2WD.

My plan with buying something was to swap as many parts as possible that I’ve replaced on our Yukon, most of which in the last 10k miles. This includes: all 8 control arms, front springs (the last two in the country), Belltech lowering kit, Spohn panhard bar, steering column, intermediate shaft, wheels and tires, sunroof glass I had tinted, putting the stock exhaust back in and selling the Corsa (won’t work on a LWB or a Platinum). Unfortunately the AFM hardware delete would have to be done again. I’m not trading the Yukon but will be selling privately because it has 191k miles so trade im value is trash even though it looks nicer than many with 100k less miles.

So I came across this 2013 ESV Platinum 2WD in Black Ice with the black interior and 166k miles asking $19995. I went and looked at it twice and liked it overall despite it needing a fair amount of work but noticed the hood and roof were wrapped. The truck was from Tallahassee so I figured the paint was either perfect or trashed under the wrap. The front bumper is damaged, all the seat covers are fairly worn, the driver seat cushions are very worn, all four window appliqués are trash, rear shocks completely gone, oil leaks, engine mounts, trans lines, oil lines, belts. Plus some other odds and ends little crap. Some of this stuff I expect with almost any Escalade so I don’t necessarily hold every bit of it against it but with the Platinum the seat covers are expensive and starting to be discontinued so I need to get them while I can so it all adds up. The engine seems to run well and sounds good and the oil pressure is in the 20s when fully hot. Transmission shifts nicely even though it has never been serviced. Differential seems quiet. It doesn’t seem like a terrible truck. I got them to $18,200 plus tax and fees. I figured the price seemed good in today’s market so I took a gamble and pulled the trigger. Got it back to work yesterday and pulled the wrap off the third brake light spoiler and the paint looked good so I got a little excited. Then I started pulling the wrap off the roof and found that the house always wins. I did not pull the wrap off the hood for now. So now I’m kinda regretting my purchase. I suppose I had myself convinced the paint was going to be perfect under it since it looked like it had been on there a while and even though I knew better.

And before anyone asks, I didn’t like the look of the wrap. The orange peel and reflection look nothing like the paint on the rest of the truck and this color is a great color out in the sun, which is why I wanted it. I haven’t gotten any quotes yet but I’d assume on the $3k range to repaint the hood and roof. Then I still need a new front bumper. Another option would be to rewrap the roof (my window tint guy quoted $400 without seeing it) and only repaint the hood and replace the bumper. I’m not 100% sure how happy I’d be with that but at least the hood would be nice.

Attachments

• 0242B858-C95F-47CC-AB42-7D8F1027597C.jpeg
    0242B858-C95F-47CC-AB42-7D8F1027597C.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 4A59CC66-633E-41F7-8FBF-77A46CA118D5.jpeg
    4A59CC66-633E-41F7-8FBF-77A46CA118D5.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 05AF7D20-C6EB-45CD-90D0-8BCA3096F13B.jpeg
    05AF7D20-C6EB-45CD-90D0-8BCA3096F13B.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 1DD76774-3BDA-481B-B338-50A6FF1D1E05.jpeg
    1DD76774-3BDA-481B-B338-50A6FF1D1E05.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 52
  • DCDFF8E0-7BD8-4AF1-B21F-7E9C4FBA7402.jpeg
    DCDFF8E0-7BD8-4AF1-B21F-7E9C4FBA7402.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I didn’t realize how long that post was and that was me trying to not be long winded… Here’s another picture of the whole roof with the wrap removed.

Attachments

• 035A536C-B118-48CF-AD2B-64E9E0B3C987.jpeg
    035A536C-B118-48CF-AD2B-64E9E0B3C987.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I didn’t realize how long that post was and that was me trying to not be long winded… Here’s another picture of the whole roof with the wrap removed.
Man, I’m sorry that you’re feeling badly about your purchase. But in my opinion, that is a pretty fair deal in this market, as long as there are other signs of maintenance such as regular oil changes, at the very least. And that goes double if the frame and suspension parts are corrosion free. And, that is a beautiful truck.

Have you considered having the whole truck painted instead of just the hood and roof? Chances are the top of the doors, liftgate and fenders won’t be far behind.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure hope not. I took the chance based on the tops of the fenders and doors looking to be in very good condition. If the whole truck needed a paint job, I would probably resell it considering all the other stuff it needs. Just the rear shocks, sway bar links, and belts from Rock Auto are going to cost $600.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't understand the need to go to the longer wheelbase now. You could have waited a while as even the regular Denali has has LOTS of room. Having said that your purchase seems OK....

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you’re lucky! The roof paint on that esky is nowhere near as bad as the roof of my 2006! Lol mine is app times worse and I cringe a bit every time I’m cleaning. I wanna get mine repainted so bad. But mine has spread to the fenders, and the tops of the doors as well as just below the window seals.... I hate it so much and I’ve never had a vehicle with this much clearcoat failure. I love my Denali and I’ve come to love the gm full sizes but damn their paint really sucks! Lol.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't understand the need to go to the longer wheelbase now. You could have waited a while as even the regular Denali has has LOTS of room. Having said that your purchase seems OK....
Three kids, he has 2nd row captains chairs, and the SWB models have zero cargo room behind the third row. What's not to understand?

When I'd load up my Suburban for family vacation (we also have 3 kids), everything we needed for 2 1/2 weeks fit in the cargo area. No need to put anything on the roof rack. And we still had all 3 rows available for seating. Try that with a SWB.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you’re lucky! The roof paint on that esky is nowhere near as bad as the roof of my 2006! Lol mine is app times worse and I cringe a bit every time I’m cleaning. I wanna get mine repainted so bad. But mine has spread to the fenders, and the tops of the doors as well as just below the window seals.... I hate it so much and I’ve never had a vehicle with this much clearcoat failure. I love my Denali and I’ve come to love the gm full sizes but damn their paint really sucks! Lol.

My mom has a black 2005 Tahoe and it looks terrible. I either need to rewrap the roof or get it repainted ASAP or it will continue to get worse and cost more and more money.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three kids, he has 2nd row captains chairs, and the SWB models have zero cargo room behind the third row. What's not to understand?

When I'd load up my Suburban for family vacation (we also have 3 kids), everything we needed for 2 1/2 weeks fit in the cargo area. No need to put anything on the roof rack. And we still had all 3 rows available for seating. Try that with a SWB.

Exactly. Even if you take one third row seat out of the SWB if you put a stroller back there, you're done. Although it wasn't an immediate need, I figured I had time to look for the right one and I thought this was it.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since we found out #3 was on the way, I’ve been on the lookout for an ESV to replace my 2012 Yukon Denali SWB. We’ve had the Yukon about 2.5 years. I love these trucks so I’ve done quite a bit to it and was basically “done” with it when we found out we were probably going to need more space. I decided a while ago if we ever replaced it that it would be with an Escalade because I like them better and in my mind that would be more of an upgrade for spending money vs just the space.

I’m pretty picky about what I want and am generally willing to wait for it. So I was on the lookout for a Black Ice, Xenon Blue (2012 only), Sapphire Blue (2013 only), or silver (which was the last choice since the Yukon is silver). Black Raven and White Diamond were absolutely not happening and since my 08 is red, I didn’t want two the same color. 2WD is very important to me. Wasn’t terrible particular in trim level but a Premium or Platinum was preferred and black interior a must. If you’ve shopped for these at all, you know how hard this was going to be to find. On Cargurus within a 500 mile radius there were 163 07-14 ESVs and only 17 were 2WD.

My plan with buying something was to swap as many parts as possible that I’ve replaced on our Yukon, most of which in the last 10k miles. This includes: all 8 control arms, front springs (the last two in the country), Belltech lowering kit, Spohn panhard bar, steering column, intermediate shaft, wheels and tires, sunroof glass I had tinted, putting the stock exhaust back in and selling the Corsa (won’t work on a LWB or a Platinum). Unfortunately the AFM hardware delete would have to be done again. I’m not trading the Yukon but will be selling privately because it has 191k miles so trade im value is trash even though it looks nicer than many with 100k less miles.

So I came across this 2013 ESV Platinum 2WD in Black Ice with the black interior and 166k miles asking $19995. I went and looked at it twice and liked it overall despite it needing a fair amount of work but noticed the hood and roof were wrapped. The truck was from Tallahassee so I figured the paint was either perfect or trashed under the wrap. The front bumper is damaged, all the seat covers are fairly worn, the driver seat cushions are very worn, all four window appliqués are trash, rear shocks completely gone, oil leaks, engine mounts, trans lines, oil lines, belts. Plus some other odds and ends little crap. Some of this stuff I expect with almost any Escalade so I don’t necessarily hold every bit of it against it but with the Platinum the seat covers are expensive and starting to be discontinued so I need to get them while I can so it all adds up. The engine seems to run well and sounds good and the oil pressure is in the 20s when fully hot. Transmission shifts nicely even though it has never been serviced. Differential seems quiet. It doesn’t seem like a terrible truck. I got them to $18,200 plus tax and fees. I figured the price seemed good in today’s market so I took a gamble and pulled the trigger. Got it back to work yesterday and pulled the wrap off the third brake light spoiler and the paint looked good so I got a little excited. Then I started pulling the wrap off the roof and found that the house always wins. I did not pull the wrap off the hood for now. So now I’m kinda regretting my purchase. I suppose I had myself convinced the paint was going to be perfect under it since it looked like it had been on there a while and even though I knew better.

And before anyone asks, I didn’t like the look of the wrap. The orange peel and reflection look nothing like the paint on the rest of the truck and this color is a great color out in the sun, which is why I wanted it. I haven’t gotten any quotes yet but I’d assume on the $3k range to repaint the hood and roof. Then I still need a new front bumper. Another option would be to rewrap the roof (my window tint guy quoted $400 without seeing it) and only repaint the hood and replace the bumper. I’m not 100% sure how happy I’d be with that but at least the hood would be nice.
I hope you had this ESV checked out by a real good independent mechanic before buying it and got most of the service records. If you did and got the green light stop regretting your decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9