I might regret my purchase.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a GM tech and no service records. I’ve bought a lot of cars and never once have gotten service records.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was given a ball park quote from the body shop for $2000 to repaint the hood and roof if I do as much work as possible in taking off the roof rack, antenna, trim, etc. That doesn't include the windshield R&R (I want a new one anyway before I have it tinted) or the front bumper being replaced and painted. They said $800 to do just the hood so if I rewrap the roof for $400 that would come to $1200. If I did that, I could probably also get the front bumper done, maybe have them sand and clearcoat the headlights, and possible get the windshield replaced for the $2000. If I do rewrap the roof, I think I would go with satin black so it isn't trying the mimic the paint like the old wrap was doing and wouldn't have a reflection to notice that it isn't paint.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I was given a ball park quote from the body shop for $2000 to repaint the hood and roof if I do as much work as possible in taking off the roof rack, antenna, trim, etc. That doesn't include the windshield R&R (I want a new one anyway before I have it tinted) or the front bumper being replaced and painted. They said $800 to do just the hood so if I rewrap the roof for $400 that would come to $1200. If I did that, I could probably also get the front bumper done, maybe have them sand and clearcoat the headlights, and possible get the windshield replaced for the $2000. If I do rewrap the roof, I think I would go with satin black so it isn't trying the mimic the paint like the old wrap was doing and wouldn't have a reflection to notice that it isn't paint.
I would just paint it and be done with it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure hope not. I took the chance based on the tops of the fenders and doors looking to be in very good condition. If the whole truck needed a paint job, I would probably resell it considering all the other stuff it needs. Just the rear shocks, sway bar links, and belts from Rock Auto are going to cost $600.
You can have a paint shop paint just the hood and just the roof without doing the whole thing and it will look just fine. All that other stuff will add up to a pretty penny but then you'll have an $80K truck for much less.

It's got good bones and you know how to fix what needs fixing. Buyer's remorse is a natural reaction to a purchase. You did good, get to work!

Thought I pressed the button on this yesterday...

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is all the little stuff adds up to quite a large number and a good bit of it is already discontinued or I’m worried it will get discontinued. I should have bought a Premium with the regular interior since all these Platinum pieces wear more if not taken care of like a King Ranch. The seat covers are the main thing I’m worried about being able to get and that will cost $1000 just for the front seats. The window appliqués I’m not really worried about being discontinued yet since those aren’t Platinum specific but they’re still going to cost $750 and look really bad. The driver door panel is all scratched up and is discontinued. The window switch trim is covered in makeup and is discontinued. The front door sill plates are damaged and discontinued. Weatherstrips are torn at the bottom but at least those for Tahoe and Yukon so I can get those. I’m really disappointed so much is discontinued for a vehicle that is only 8 years old. And it’s all the stuff that wears or gets torn up with normal use. And most of it wasn’t even that expensive! I’ve been able to get all kinds of stuff for my 2008 regular Escalade that I figured would have been discontinued.

I also talked to my tint guy some more today and he said he would charge me $350 to wrap the roof if I take the roof rack and antenna off. The wrap would be warrantied for 5 years.

The body shop also said they’ll need the truck for a week and can’t get it in until the second half of December so if I go that route I will have to keep my Yukon and get another insurance policy and risk the market changing and the Yukon being worth less.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You’re not going to miss the Yukon headlights or changing the bulbs. Are you going to gut the oem head unit or keep it?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I’m sorry that you’re feeling badly about your purchase. But in my opinion, that is a pretty fair deal in this market, as long as there are other signs of maintenance such as regular oil changes, at the very least. And that goes double if the frame and suspension parts are corrosion free. And, that is a beautiful truck.

Have you considered having the whole truck painted instead of just the hood and roof? Chances are the top of the doors, liftgate and fenders won’t be far behind.
normally the people who buy these can't afford the maintenance
as they were barely able to make the payment

tenn? yeah meth state

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go the wrap method myself. Like others have said, the rest of the paint probably isn’t far behind. Once it starts it’s a sign that there’s more to come. Paint the hood though, that should only be $500 or so. That way at least you’ve bought some time to see what happens with the rest of the paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne