Kinda newish member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been posting on here a year +/- (after previously spending most of my time on the old Z71TahoeSuburban forum and a little bit on the Tahoe Forum) and realized I don't think I ever posted an intro here. I live in the greater Seattle area and am more comfortable doing electrical accessory work than mechanical work on the trucks. I've been driving & playing with Tahoes & Suburbans for 16+ years after upgrading from a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder (old hard-body style). I'm currently using my 3rd & 4th Tahoe/Suburban:

Daily Driver:
2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ (6.2L 4x4)
- White Diamond, purchased last fall out of Portland, Oregon before used prices went crazy
- Nothing too crazy yet for mods: OEM-parts "RV Package" dual battery install by local dealership, black 17" XD rims (wanted the option to use chains), swapped in a 2010 radio w/ USB, replaced some outlets with USB ports, added a few extra USB ports, swapped out the 7-way trailer plug for a 7-/4-way combo (easy plug & play and highly recommended), removed 3rd row seats
- In planning: add brake controller, front row Silverado jump seat just arrived for a 2nd row install, and have plans to build a cargo area box
- Intending to do in future: Ham radio, rechargeable flashlight mount in back, & towing mirrors from Boost Autoparts
IMG_0302.JPG

Family trip & heavier towing:
2010 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LT (6.0L 4x4)
- Black purchased from Montana in 2019
- Limited mods: OEM tow mirrors added at my purchase, color-match fender flares, aftermarket dual-battery system (2500 = no charging issue) replaced some outlets with USB ports, added a few extra USB ports, swapped out the 7-way trailer plug for a 7-/4-way combo
- In planning: cargo area box
- Intending to do in future: Ham radio, rechargeable flashlight mount in back, & may install a Silverado jump seat for a 2nd row install if the Tahoe install goes well, may also swap out the towing mirrors for the Boost ones (if for nothing else but the heated lower mirrors)
- Researching: Can the heated seats be swapped out for heated & cooled seats? That feature was amazing in the Tahoe this summer!
IMG_0304.JPG

The old:
Daily Driver (RIP):
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 (4x4)
- Metallic Green, dual batteries, HAM radio installation, hide-away strobes (ambers), custom-modified 2004 towing mirrors, a bunch of other convenience electrical add-ons from my time in S&R (most of these installed myself)
- Wanted to get 20 years out of it but transmission finally gave out and elected to upgrade to the 2009 LTZ instead of repairing it
IMG_2041a.jpg

Towing truck (soon to be selling):
1992 Suburban K2500 "Silverado" (454ci)
- Blue, Dual Batteries, HAM radio installation, a bunch of other convenience electrical add-ons for camping & trailer towing (All of these installed myself)
- This thing is a beast - its in my driveway waiting to take my big old toy hauler trailer on its last trip to the junk yard
- Tailgate version: has been having leaking issues and as it got closer to 30 years we saw the need to upgrade to the 2010

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

Nice 2009 Tahoe LTZ and 2500! Your previous Daily Driver the 2002 Z71 was real nice also.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

OP
OP
E

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
Welcome. Nice rides too. I noticed your Z71 had an HD hood too.
It did. I was a sad camper when that transmission failed. I already had the 2010 at the time and it took me months to decide a new transmission wasn’t worth it. I would have fixed the tranny but it also had an intermittent ABS code that two different shops looked into and ruled out the normal sensor issues without a definite answer (one had a guess at the ABS computer itself).

But I can’t complain with the upgrade to 6.2L!

OP
OP
E

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

Nice 2009 Tahoe LTZ and 2500! Your previous Daily Driver the 2002 Z71 was real nice also.
I have to also admit that I almost held off on the 09 due to the color. The pearl white makes it look more like a Caddy and I prefer dark.

I loved the color of my 02, it was the metallic forest green they discontinued in 04, just a hair lighter than my old 94 Nissan Pathfinder. Full body painting is just too expensive to worry about.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...swapped out the 7-way trailer plug for a 7-/4-way combo

- Researching: Can the heated seats be swapped out for heated & cooled seats? That feature was amazing in the Tahoe this summer!
Welcome to the forum, glad to have ya here to share your projects with us!

Do you have any photos of that 7/4 combo receptacle or plug?

Yes, you can add the heated and ventilated seats but the module has to be programmed for them via ACDelco's TDS system and a Tech-2 or an MDI and a laptop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu