Thoughts from a 2018 owner to a 2021

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, an easy fix would be to add a shortcut button to the infotainment screen where the home, audio, phone, NAV and climate shortcuts are always displayed. That would allow quick one button access to the cameras. This new system is supposedly able to update OTA so maybe GM will do something about it.

Good point. That could be a simple solution.

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The camera button would be nice. I moved mine to the closest app position once inside the home screen. The extra size over the previous generation has caused both the wife and I to use it when parking in tight spaces.

Another item for me is the automatic running boards. My 2016 Yukon Denali had the fixed boards, so this behavior is new for me. Every time that you open/close a door while in park they go up and down right away. Drivers gets out boards deploy and go back up when driver closes the door. Kid gets out of back seat after you yell at them to get off of their damn phones and the boards deploy again. You can get stuck in the middle with kids jumping out with the boards on their way up. When parked they should stay down for a longer period of time or until you lock the vehicle. There is an option menu item to change this and keep them deployed while in park (in order to access the roof), but it is buried deep and it only works for a single use. So the truck reverts back after it is restarted (this needs it own thread).

Denali Brad

Reaction score
With the extra 6" in length, are you able to park it in a standard 20' deep garage?

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the 2021 Tahoe is 18'10" so it should fit as long as you have nothing in the way. I have stairs going up to the interior door, so the best I could do is to reconfigure the stairs so that the hood sits under the stairs. It would be impossible for me to have a multiday repair project and keep the garage door closed at night.

The Tahoe has grown 2'5" over the last 15 years. Good news for some, bad for others.

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine fits with a few feet to spare. Still tight. Truck just seems much bigger all the way around.

OP
OP
Dogged

Dogged

Reaction score
-The idea of a hard camera switch in that blank spot is brilliant, I hope someone at GM actually peruses these forums for real customer feedback. It is frustrating (and dangerous) to punch home then the camera button when whipping into a parking spot. It's also equally frustrating when you want to turn it off with no "x" out of that view.

-I too cringe whenever I hear the motorized steps go up, down, up.. thinking of how many duty cycles we have left. It does not look like that hard to swap out the motor, so maybe it won't be such a pain in a few years. It would be great to have a permanent down setting.

-The extra length sort of sucks to me as well. I would have left it shorter and if anyone needed the XL, buy a 'Burb. With my trailer hitch I would have a hard time putting it in the garage ( I did fit it without the hitch the first night, but it was tight). My wife's '18 gets that coveted spot anyway, so the 2021 gets the rain and Texas heat.

rjr

Reaction score
My wife's 2019 Acadia Denali has a camera button on the home screen. It is very handy when parking

Reaction score
Dogged - thanks for the detailed review. I just picked up the ‘21 SLT after owning several Expeditions, so it was helpful reading how things have changed on the Yukon over the years and what you are finding positive and negative. I was a little leery of buying the first model year, but got tired of waiting for the new Expy, and the Yukon remodel looks great! Good luck (to all of us) with the ‘21!

OP
OP
Dogged

Dogged

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. Now over 3k miles and I have grown to enjoy it even more. Hope you do as well.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curiosity question from a full time detailer. Are you guys saying with the folding running boards that there’s no way to keep them while I the vehicle is off? I always keep them down on equipped vehicles the entire time I’m working a detail, to use as a step, to be able to properly clean them, and to avoid unnecessary battery strain on the system while I’m working. It seems like it’s getting harder and harder to utilize this function. I have a client with a brand new top of the line ram 1500 and the setting to keep the automatic running boards deployed is buried in the menu on the infotainment screen with seat controls. It makes no sense why they would do it that way. Like why out the running board setting there?! I miss they days of a simple push button on near the main drivers controls. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
korzone

Latest posts