Redoing front brakes again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
She should not press as hard as she could. You do want constant pressure while the bleeder is open, but just steady slow pressure for maybe 1/2 the pedal travel and to never ever ever relax back or release pressure while the bleeder is open. If she just stomped on it and you opened the bleeder and then that pedal went to floor before you could close the bleeder, there is air that got in there, IMO.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@OR VietVet She's only 8 so I just had her press it as hard as she could and hold it and then I would crack it open for a second and then tighten it and then I would tell her she could release it.

You're right, we probably messed up some where but I went through great legths to avoid it. I was hoping that having the tube and bottle over the bleeder valve would help mitigate any error in that area but luckily I have a lot more brake fluid left to try again.

This will be the 3rd time bleeding these brakes just from replacing the front brake hoses

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, just remember that the air will climb to a high point. It could be higher now and continuing to climb.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went back out today and had my wife help me this time, we were able to get some more air out of there and its a lot better but still not feeling 100%, might try again next week or just wait until it cools down in fall

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a hand pump vacuum kit from Amazon, it seems dummy proof.. which I need apparently.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I didn’t buy the hand vacuum bleeder, I just went back out today with my water bottle with a hose.

I started by cracking the bleeder and observing what happened, I waited until I got a little stream of brake fluid coming into the hose but not enough that air would be able to get back in. I went into the Tahoe and pumped the brakes a few times and did this until the hose was full of fluid without air bubbles, then I tighten the bleeder and did the same on all 4 corners.

After that I took it for a drive and it wasn’t right still.

I decided to do the same thing but had my daughter help me with the brake pedal, somewhere along the way I realized that when I was telling her to “hold the brake” she wasn’t actually holding the brake and I went and felt the brake pedal and it just went to the floor…

So I caught my kid up to speed on what we are supposed to be doing and told her she needs to hold that brake pedal down until I tell her she can let go.

We pumped a crap ton of air out of the lines, and then I ran out of fresh brake fluid so I went to get a new bottle.

I came back and it was pretty hot out so I told my kid to go in the house, I continued to bleed the brakes myself with my Tahoe running, cracking the bleeder just barely, and using a broom stick to push the brake pedal while I laid on the ground so that I could watch what was happening with the bleeder hose and if there was air still.

Finally my pedal was solid! But I had a stabilitrak light with a “service brake system” message??!!

I cycled the motor a couple times and the message went away and now my brakes feel better than ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia