2021 PPV Front Brakes on 2013 Escalade ESV, and rear brake overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whiterimedsupra

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, stumbled onto your thread as I’m looking for a rear big brake kit now for my brothers 18. I wanted to share I just installed his front “GM performance setup” I got via piecing together front rockauto sneakily.

This is the $2500 kit I got for <$1400 via rockauto from piecing it together. Everything was bolt on and no modifications needed (clearing his stock 22’). Took less then hour an half to install and it stops HARD now!

2 calipers #1722891 (DR flip bleeder/plugs)
2 Rotors #60447079
Power stop pads #z361910
Need 2 - m10x1.0 banjos (I had some from old caliper off my vette I did a wilwood setup on) should be Dorman 14100

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The R/A piece together kit is great. You might save a grand or two but it won’t come with the Chevy or GMC stickers to put on the calipers.

Whiterimedsupra

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The R/A piece together kit is great. You might save a grand or two but it won’t come with the Chevy or GMC stickers to put on the calipers.
Correct, for Chevy or GMC stickered ones they are different part numbers. We got the Cadillac/brembo ones.

Attachments

• IMG_5487.jpeg
    IMG_5487.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5916.jpeg
    IMG_5916.jpeg
    680.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5915.jpeg
    IMG_5915.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 12

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
That 3rd pic really threw me for a loop. Had to think on why would an Escalade have two sets of discs up front and only one Brembo?

Ahhh. The perfect before & after comparison pic. Nice!

wulfpack06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you think there would be any need for a master cylinder upgrade for these? 6 piston should need more fluid i would think.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think there would be any need for a master cylinder upgrade for these? 6 piston should need more fluid i would think.
I do not. I have been daily driving my Escalade with this brake conversion on the stock master cylinder.
No issues. There is no excessive pedal travel, either.

RTLINGR2

Reaction score
OK, here is where it got 'interesting'. And no longer straight bolt-on.

On a youtube video of a guy installing these 6 piston calipers on a 2007 Escalade, he mentioned having to grind a little on the spindles for the caliper mounting ears to sit flat. Not much.
Hmmm...

On my 2013 Escalade ESV AWD, it was a little more than 'not much.' Luckily, since I am an incompetent machinist, it was a long and painful process. And I only did the passenger's side.

I initially started by placing the stainless steel fender washers on the outer sides of the spindle mounting tabs then running the bolts in from the back side. The lower washer sat flush with no issue. For the upper one, I traced around the washer on the protruding part of the casting with a sharpie.
And then got to work grinding.
I was using a small drill with a round nose and flat faced rotary metal rasp. I had used them eons ago to clean casting flash from a cast iron engine block, so I figured they would do OK on a cast iron spindle. They worked, though it took quite a long time.
I ended up grinding a flat on the top stainless steel washer to clear the casting.

When I mocked up the caliper, I realized I had made a mistake. Or at least missed something. The caliper mounting ears had their own interference points. Since I used my little battery powered ratchet to snug up the mounting bolts, the caliper ears got nicked. :mad: Dumba$$.

More marking, more grinding, more mocking. I finally got the passenger's side caliper to mount flush. Granted, this is with the 0.060" thick washers. When I go to install the rotor and check how the caliper is centered, my luck says I will need the 0.040" thick washers. ;)

View attachment 421338
Upper mounting pad on spindle, with ground spacer washer and ugly hand machining.

View attachment 421339
Lower mounting pad on spindle, with full spacer washer and slightly less ugly hand machining. Sorry for the lousy focus.

View attachment 421340

View attachment 421341
Nicks on passenger's side caliper mounting ears.

Since it is going to be a few days until I get back to this little project, I have ordered a set of carbide burrs. I think I will be able to clean up the ugly hand machining on the passenger's side spindle. And do better on the driver's side. I will probably open it up a little so I don't need the ground off washer. It is a pain to get the flat side lined up with the ground away part of the spindle. And that is with no rotor and no pads.

Until then...
Good write up, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660