Redoing front brakes again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OE supplier in '19 and '20 was Akebono, a Japanese company. Might still be, don't know.

I can confirm. I picked up some 30K mile take-off calipers, brackets, pads and rotors from a '19 Suburban a couple months ago. Calipers are Akebono. My originals are PBR. I really need to get them steel braided hoses and get it all swapped on.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm. I picked up some 30K mile take-off calipers, brackets, pads and rotors from a '19 Suburban a couple months ago. Calipers are Akebono. My originals are PBR. I really need to get them steel braided hoses and get it all swapped on.
Whose steel braided lines are you going to use?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have looked for steel braided lines and I can't seem to find a kit that is for the Traction Control rigs. That was about 2 years ago I looked. Is there anything now?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whose steel braided lines are you going to use?

I've only talked to Kore3. I had a full set of their lines on my '02 S10. Got five cuz I did a rear disc conversion. But, they were just rear brakes from a Blazer so they were off-the-shelf parts. Great product and were cheaper than the bigger known companies. My Tahoe has StabiliTrak, so it has six flex lines. Back when I was looking, around 2016-2017, nobody had a full kit. In my mind, it's kind of a waste to not do it all the way. Anyway, they looked up the stock hose and thread sizes and quoted me a price for all six. I'm currently trying to find that email.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If memory serves, caliper wear reveals itself as uneven wear across a pad. Slide pin wear is one pad wearing more than the other.
This I did not know. And it explains the wear pattern I'm seeing on our '07 front pax side rotor inside surface. I believe it still has the original calipers at 235K. It almost looks like the pad is only contacting the inner 2/3 of the rotor's surface, yet the pad seems to be wearing normally in terms of its thickness all around. I was about to pull it to see what's going on and may now just replace everything at all 4 corners.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only talked to Kore3. I had a full set of their lines on my '02 S10. Got five cuz I did a rear disc conversion. But, they were just rear brakes from a Blazer so they were off-the-shelf parts. Great product and were cheaper than the bigger known companies. My Tahoe has StabiliTrak, so it has six flex lines. Back when I was looking, around 2016-2017, nobody had a full kit. In my mind, it's kind of a waste to not do it all the way. Anyway, they looked up the stock hose and thread sizes and quoted me a price for all six. I'm currently trying to find that email.
Never heard of them but your testimonial is as good as Gold with me! I'll let Julia know as she needs longer lines for the white Sierra.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today did the front rotors, pads, and brake hoses.

Old rotors and pads looked good, they were just wore out but everything was worn evenly.

Did a quick ride around the block and everything sounds and feels good. Tomorrow I’ll bed the brakes in. It was 108 when I got the job done so didn’t want to do that today.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Today did the front rotors, pads, and brake hoses.

Old rotors and pads looked good, they were just wore out but everything was worn evenly.

Did a quick ride around the block and everything sounds and feels good. Tomorrow I’ll bed the brakes in. It was 108 when I got the job done so didn’t want to do that today.

I just bought some Akebono Ultra Premium Ceramic ProACT pads for my DD and, after looking for the bedding-in directions, found this:

1688344548549.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10