Very high pitched squeaking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they couldn’t hear anything while driving it, they probably didn’t bother putting it up on a lift.

As @Dustin Jackson suggested, you might have a brake hose at one or more of the wheels that’s starting to break down in the inside restricting the brake fluid from letting the caliper fully retract.
I understand not hearing anything but I still asked for a vehicle inspection. With a receipt . Never got a receipt or a packet like other places. I leave for my trip tomorrow.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my money is on wheel hub, jack up the front end so the wheels are off the ground and spin each wheel, listen to each one carefully. they should be mostly dead silent
also check for wheel play at 12 & 6 there should be none, some slight play will be normal at 9 & 3 because of the steering.
@170k plus you are past the typical life of hub's which is 165k
if it is not that then you should be able to hear some kind of noise by spinning the wheel if it is a rock or brake related, the brake pad sensor could be the culprit as well.
take the wheels off and use a flashlight to look at the pad thickness
you can grab a jack at harbor freight for cheap

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my money is on wheel hub, jack up the front end so the wheels are off the ground and spin each wheel, listen to each one carefully. they should be mostly dead silent
also check for wheel play at 12 & 6 there should be none, some slight play will be normal at 9 & 3 because of the steering.
if it is not that then you should be able to hear some kind of noise by spinning the wheel if it is a rock or brake related, the brake pad sensor could be the culprit as well.
Don’t have the stuff to do that. I did take it to a reputable local shop and they said it’s most likely debris, salt or a rock stuck somewhere. I’m not sure exactly what the mechanic all did I’ll call back and ask. I know he said he cleaned the brakes and rotors. It was less than an hour so not sure what he all did in that time. Imagine he checked the wheel hub for play and stuff?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They said pad thickness is good.

My trips is tomorrow morning and I’m not really confident doing that all myself to be honest. Two shops said it’s fine so I guess I’m just gonna ride it. If it it gets worse or something tragic happens I’ll limp it or tow it to where I’m traveling and get it dealt with. Not gonna lie I’m still anxious bc the noise is still there.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t have the stuff to do that. I did take it to a reputable local shop and they said it’s most likely debris, salt or a rock stuck somewhere. I’m not sure exactly what the mechanic all did I’ll call back and ask. I know he said he cleaned the brakes and rotors. It was less than an hour so not sure what he all did in that time. Imagine he checked the wheel hub for play and stuff?
that really depends... on how much effort was used
if the problem is not consistent and is intermitent then that could be harder to narrow down
if it does it all the time and still is doing it after this "inspection" then perhaps it is time to find another mechanic.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
consistent noises are generally not that hard to narrow down with the exception of internal engine or transmission noise which can require opening it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019