Very high pitched squeaking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything was sounding good before my trip from NE South Dakota to the cities. I got my coolant flushed, oil changed and power steering fluid flushed and changed. Also did the engine cleaner flush all at Valvoline. She was running like a top. Drove smooth all the way there and back. No complaints. There was a lot of hard braking in the cities.

I’m back in town now and what started off as a small and barely noticeable high pitched squeak is getting louder and more persistent. It seems to only happen under 30 mph and when turning and going slow so far. I had an inspection done as well before winter hit and brakes were good I was told. I was only told the rear shocks may need service in the spring or summer. I have another trip coming up and just wanna make sure she’s good to go again. I am taking it in to shop tomorrow. I was told it can be the suspension but I jumped up and down on the front and back end and didn’t hear much out of the ordinary. Was also told it could be the U joint. I had a similar noise I posted about here in the past and it was a rock. So I’m hoping it’s that again and nothing major. This one guy swears up and down he had the same issue and it was the u joint. Also maybe glazed pads from the hard braking in the city traffic?

Here’s the noise maybe you guys can hear it maybe not. It’s really high pitched and the processing of uploading the video kinda makes the sound quality worse.

Video below: TIA for all your help

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything was sounding good before my trip from NE South Dakota to the cities. I got my coolant flushed, oil changed and power steering fluid flushed and changed. Also did the engine cleaner flush all at Valvoline. She was running like a top. Drove smooth all the way there and back. No complaints. There was a lot of hard braking in the cities.

I’m back in town now and what started off as a small and barely noticeable high pitched squeak is getting louder and more persistent. It seems to only happen under 30 mph and when turning and going slow so far. I had an inspection done as well before winter hit and brakes were good I was told. I was only told the rear shocks may need service in the spring or summer. I have another trip coming up and just wanna make sure she’s good to go again. I am taking it in to shop tomorrow. I was told it can be the suspension but I jumped up and down on the front and back end and didn’t hear much out of the ordinary. Was also told it could be the U joint. I had a similar noise I posted about here in the past and it was a rock. So I’m hoping it’s that again and nothing major. This one guy swears up and down he had the same issue and it was the u joint. Also maybe glazed pads from the hard braking in the city traffic?

Here’s the noise maybe you guys can hear it maybe not. It’s really high pitched and the processing of uploading the video kinda makes the sound quality worse.

Video below: TIA for all your help

Train whistle. I didn't hear anything else out of the ordinary in that video.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iboughtatahoe23 Does it happen when you slow down or brake in a straight line?
No seems to be when taking off. And slowly. happens only under 25mph Not all the time. I had a similar issue and it was a pebble but much more dynamic and louder noise. This noise is softer, quieter, and seems to revolve like whatever is making then noise is turning with the wheel speed I had my brake pads checked and can’t recall I wanna say maybe at least 8mm left on the pads. It doesn’t shake on the highway. Don’t think it’s the rotors. I tbink that Checked out too. I was told my rear shocks are leaking don’t know if that might be why. That was in the fall before winter. They seem to be holding up fine. The shop when they told me about the rear shocks gave me really crappy and small black and white pictures on paper and i couldn’t even see any leaks. I checked myself and saw no leaks either. I tested the shocks for that squeak noise By hopping on the front and back. Nothing. So maybe that rules that out. Figured I’d share that part

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to add that my 2014 Tahoe has 172300 miles.

I also recently took it in one morning for an inspection bc I’m going on a trip soon. (Took it on a 500 mile round trip to Minnesota 2 weeks prior and it drove fine, it still does)

any ways, Said they didn’t hear anything and had the vehicle back to me that afternoon. Wonder if they even looked or did an inspection. Went back to pick it up and the same three Yukons were on the lifts. They don’t charge me anything and i specifically asked for an inspection. Guess im confused bc it’s a reputable shop based off the reviews.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iboughtatahoe23 I wonder if the calipers aren't releasing properly and are dragging, when was the last time you replaced your caliper hoses?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went back to pick it up and the same three Yukons were on the lifts. They don’t charge me anything and i specifically asked for an inspection. Guess im confused bc it’s a reputable shop based off the reviews.
If they couldn’t hear anything while driving it, they probably didn’t bother putting it up on a lift.

As @Dustin Jackson suggested, you might have a brake hose at one or more of the wheels that’s starting to break down in the inside restricting the brake fluid from letting the caliper fully retract.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they couldn’t hear anything while driving it, they probably didn’t bother putting it up on a lift.

As @Dustin Jackson suggested, you might have a brake hose at one or more of the wheels that’s starting to break down in the inside restricting the brake fluid from letting the caliper fully retract.
How to fix? I don’t own much for tools or a jack. I need to take this trip. I hope it will make it this last trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel