What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
You scored an L9H Tahoe from a buy-here-pay-here lot?! I'd think that people that own those know what they have and take care of them and trade them in at new car dealerships. In my mind, it's just the type of vehicle that's too nice to end up at those types of car lots.
Believe me, I was just as surprised as you are. And the lot was only 4 mi from where I live! The only other ones I'd found were in like Dallas and Jacksonville. I really lucked out. I had been looking for a UZJ100 Land Cruiser, but the F-150 I had at the time was having some issues so my new car search escalated quickly. I found my Tahoe on a Tuesday night and bought it the next afternoon.

It was listed on Autotrader as a 5.3L, but the 8th VIN digit was 2. I took that to mean that the lot didn't know it was a 6.2 and hoped that meant i could lowball them, but unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

Two years ago that was true. But I'm seeing them show up at those lots quite a bit recently. They usually have over 150k miles, and/or obvious cosmetic issues (ragged interior, crap wheels, questionable mods). Even then, they ask a premium for them.
This is kinda the case with mine. Photos on Autotrader carefully hid the horribly cracked dash and dent in the front passenger door. Both were a surprise to me when I went to test drive. There were also some random interior bits I had to replace. But I'm the 3rd owner and mechanically it's super solid so I don't regret the purchase. 403 HP can cover a multitude of sins.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the back up bulbs with OE replacements from a Buick/GMC dealer in Escondido, Cali for under $6 delivered. Of course, in the nice cool air my youngest daughter and I each broke the top guide pin to each taillight assembly! Tried pulling straight back but had more leverage the other way. One of the tradeoffs of tight body lines, no give! Everything went back together nice and tight though.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth! Love my 6.2L. Gonna love it even more after Sunday, when I get my BB tune.
I want a review. The cats are bad on mine and I want to put on the speed engineering headers and y pipe. Then get a tune to turn off the o2. So I want to know your impressions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want a review. The cats are bad on mine and I want to put on the speed engineering headers and y pipe. Then get a tune to turn off the o2. So I want to know your impressions.

Sure.

I've been debating whether or not to buy the AutoCal, too. I have no need to return it to stock. And I don't have any plans to mod it. But plans change, lol. If I ever have to mechanically delete the AFM, the likelihood of a cam upgrade is pretty high. And BB offers a $50 discount on the tune with purchase. Decisions...

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure.

I've been debating whether or not to buy the AutoCal, too. I have no need to return it to stock. And I don't have any plans to mod it. But plans change, lol. If I ever have to mechanically delete the AFM, the likelihood of a cam upgrade is pretty high. And BB offers a $50 discount on the tune with purchase. Decisions...
That's what is so hard for me as I already have an autocal from my GMT800. But I agree with you on deleting the afm and getting a cam at the same time.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Technically I didn't do anything to her BUT...

I did order the Rancho RS999784 struts for the front for myself for Christmas.

http://www.gorancho.com/products/sh...nce-strut/rancho-rs9000xl-strut-rs999784.html

rps20181212_232330_368.jpg

They are 9 way adjustable so I can tune them to the firmness I desire hopefully.

I plan on installing them the way @07Burb has his by mounting them below the control arm to achieve the ride height I am looking for instead of having to buy spring relocators and losing strut travel.

The Belltech drop struts will be available after I get these put on if anyone is interested. Probably after the first of the year.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically I didn't do anything to her BUTT

Giggity.

I plan on installing them the way @07Burb has his by mounting them below the control arm to achieve the ride height I am looking for instead of having to buy spring relocators and losing strut travel.

Wait- this is a thing?! I've been plotting on this lately trying to come up with a way to make some simple brackets to "hang" the struts from the underside but with the weight still on the top just as it was designed. I don't wanna rely solely on bolts to hold it together. If the bolts fail, that side will slam to the ground. Done correctly, I'm estimating this to be good for about a 2" bolt-on drop. @07Burb, you gotta fill me in, bro!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Giggity.

Wait- this is a thing?! I've been plotting on this lately trying to come up with a way to make some simple brackets to "hang" the struts from the underside but with the weight still on the top just as it was designed. I don't wanna rely solely on bolts to hold it together. If the bolts fail, that side will slam to the ground. Done correctly, I'm estimating this to be good for about a 2" bolt-on drop. @07Burb, you gotta fill me in, bro!

Look up rough country 2/4 lowering kit.

They simply bolt the strut to the bottom of the control arm with a 1/4" spacer.

They do however provide what they call "grade 9" bolts in there kit... which I had never heard of before.

Turns out "grade 9" is also known as F911 or L9 and has a 180,000 LB shear strength which they claim is 20% stronger than grade 8.

I certainly don't plan on doing this without the "grade 9" hardware which I have already been looking into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar