Build Log: Down8's Tahoe Has a Nickname

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
I finally got around to working on my washer pump yesterday. Long story short: the pump was probably fine.

I replaced it, and it still didn't work. I spent 3-4 hours messing with this, between pulling it apart, draining the entire thing via a tiny-ass opening, checking one thing or another, re-draining, and running to get fuses.
PXL_20231223_223213916 (Large).jpg

First, I think there's a clog in the line somewhere, b/c I plugged the working rear pump into the front line, and it just blew off at the fender connection.
PXL_20231223_223221137 (Large).jpg

Second, Once I put it all back together, the front still wasn't working. Checked the fuse (which I should've done before even ordering the pump): missing. Grabbed new fuses, plopped it in in the parking lot of O'Reilly's and even with the truck off, spraying everywhere! So, possibly a relay issue? Looking under the dash (again, should've done this before), and there's extra crap wired in there. So now a longer process begins.

And still no front washer. I considered plumbing the rear to the front, decided against it.

-bZj

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to working on my washer pump yesterday. Long story short: the pump was probably fine.

I replaced it, and it still didn't work. I spent 3-4 hours messing with this, between pulling it apart, draining the entire thing via a tiny-ass opening, checking one thing or another, re-draining, and running to get fuses.
View attachment 417232

First, I think there's a clog in the line somewhere, b/c I plugged the working rear pump into the front line, and it just blew off at the fender connection.
View attachment 417231

Second, Once I put it all back together, the front still wasn't working. Checked the fuse (which I should've done before even ordering the pump): missing. Grabbed new fuses, plopped it in in the parking lot of O'Reilly's and even with the truck off, spraying everywhere! So, possibly a relay issue? Looking under the dash (again, should've done this before), and there's extra crap wired in there. So now a longer process begins.

And still no front washer. I considered plumbing the rear to the front, decided against it.

-bZj

Maybe someone improperly deleted the heated washer thing or cut into the switch wiring and now there's a short keeping power going to it?

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
Maybe someone improperly deleted the heated washer thing or cut into the switch wiring and now there's a short keeping power going to it?
Possible, but I don't think I had the heated fluid (from RPOs). I will mess with it after Christmas.

The mirrors are looking/doing fine. Got a wash, and waxed the doors under the BSM, where the adhesive promoter had left them a little funky.

PXL_20231224_183621635 (Large).jpg

Still need to stop being lazy and (re)clean the running boards. The little white specs from "overspray" of the buffing compound are sort of easy to ignore when there's dirt on them from day to day use. The fun never ends.

-bZj

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible, but I don't think I had the heated fluid (from RPOs). I will mess with it after Christmas.

The mirrors are looking/doing fine. Got a wash, and waxed the doors under the BSM, where the adhesive promoter had left them a little funky.

View attachment 417298

Still need to stop being lazy and (re)clean the running boards. The little white specs from "overspray" of the buffing compound are sort of easy to ignore when there's dirt on them from day to day use. The fun never ends.

-bZj

Being an LT, I wasn't sure. I'd check the multifunction switch. I don't think the washer pump has a relay so it's not simply a stuck relay, unfortunately.

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
I installed a new Android 12 radio. Cheap-o unit from Amazon, but everything works so far. Android Auto connects automagically when I get in, which will work well when I just toss my phone on the wireless charger I put in the center console. Only twisted one wire together to ensure Bose stayed alive. All speakers work. It's maybe a bit loud at lowest volume, but not as bad as my brother's Android unit, and I haven't looked into hacking it, yet. The steering wheel control needs either some tuning on the unit's end, or some re-alignment on my end (volume is fine, but other controls changed).

I was happy that the GPS signal is pretty good - antenna is taped under the upper vent (wedged in a bit, and heat usually goes to toes, so shouldn't melt off... until a really hot summer in a few months). I put foam tape over the buzzer, b/c all the reviews said it was overly loud. It is a bit lower than stock now, but still audible. There's a USB cable tucked in the glovebox, for future music stuff I guess (my old MP3 collection is ~120GB, so can fit on a USB stick these days).

PXL_20240120_220333655 (Large).jpg

I pre-wired to back-up camera, but need to install the camera itself, and tap power from the reverse lamp. That's for tomorrow. Then I need to get the USB/RCA adapter to get the RSE screen to mirror the front screen. Still need to confirm whether the rear radio controls function at all, now. And I haven't gotten internet to work on the thing. It doesn't seem to just pull from my phone, and the signal was weak from my wifi when I was playing with it, so not sure what the issue is yet. More trouble-shooting to come.

[Strange; uploads giving me issues, so minimal 'in-progress' pics.]

PXL_20240120_200059187.MP.jpg

-bZj

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
Got the rear camera installed. Super painful, broke many clips/bolts. That applique should absolutely not be held on by 2 clips, and 4 bolts (with a shit-ton of thread-lock): it's a trim panel.

Took 4 hours, even though the wiring was already run, and the trim panels were already removed. Insanity.
PXL_20240124_220401796.jpg

One thing that is aiding my OCD is being able to clean in all the nooks and crannies as I repair/maintain the truck. Nice to clean/buff/wax away that 17+yrs of dust.
PXL_20240128_195246967.jpg

Hope this holds.
PXL_20240128_213459332.jpg

LEDs are super bright and come on with reverse lights (including door-unlock). Picture is garbage, but $10, so good enough to let me hit the center of a parking space when backing in. Lines are built into the camera's projection.
PXL_20240128_220937238.jpg

The crappy part is I think I need to pull it all apart today, to put a weather seal where the bolts went through. Was so frustrated & just wanting to wrap before the 49ers game that I thought it would be OK. But I'm rethinking that.

-bZj

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the rear camera installed. Super painful, broke many clips/bolts. That applique should absolutely not be held on by 2 clips, and 4 bolts (with a shit-ton of thread-lock): it's a trim panel.

Took 4 hours, even though the wiring was already run, and the trim panels were already removed. Insanity.
View attachment 420198

One thing that is aiding my OCD is being able to clean in all the nooks and crannies as I repair/maintain the truck. Nice to clean/buff/wax away that 17+yrs of dust.
View attachment 420197

Hope this holds.
View attachment 420196

LEDs are super bright and come on with reverse lights (including door-unlock). Picture is garbage, but $10, so good enough to let me hit the center of a parking space when backing in. Lines are built into the camera's projection.
View attachment 420195

The crappy part is I think I need to pull it all apart today, to put a weather seal where the bolts went through. Was so frustrated & just wanting to wrap before the 49ers game that I thought it would be OK. But I'm rethinking that.

-bZj

I used this flush mount camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts