So you want to buy an old Tahoe/Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving thru our neighborhood this evening saw neighbor w garage door up getting mail and inside was a Yukon GMT800. We chatted a few minutes about our trucks. Turns out hers is a one-owner 2005 Arizona, darn near mint SLT, with 45K miles on it. Forty-five. Asked if she wanted to sell it on the spot, she said no way. But I’ma take the long road on this one. One day….
Same scenario for me except that said incredibly low mileage GMT800 pickup belongs to a close family friend’s mom. Mom already knows when the time hits hit that truck is getting sold to me and no one else lol.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading these posts..... I must admit..... I was very fortunate to find my '05 YukonXL SLT.... Nearly brand new condition inside and mechanical outside. ( The vin, maintenance service list was as long as my arm. ) Heck,.. even the entire roof is a shiny as the hood!
Having said that..... If the purchase of this '03 was fair priced, doing your own list of 'fixes' makes this Yukon YOUR TRUCK now, and you are in control of the reliability!!

I miss my old '88 GMC C 2500 rergular cab truck. I sold it with 396,000 on the clock, but, it was actually 'fun' to work on ! A simple truck. These '99 to '06 trucks are nearly the same, since they don't have the 'silly' electronics as the $80,000 priced new ones are.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theyre almost identical in power tbh.
I had a client with a 2004 limited. Drove it every time he wanted it detailed as I’d pick it up from his work and take it to my house to do the work and then bring it back to him. I liked it so much that I wanted one when I sold my Durango, before buying my Yukon. But once I drove both a 5.3 and a 6.0 powered GM, there was no comparison. While his Seqoiua was definitely a nice ride it lacked the get up and go power I wanted in a big SUV. Plus that engine is not as easy to work on for someone like me who isn’t a professional mechanic. The choice was clear that the 4.7L V8 was not the engine for me when I could get into a GM with an LS based engine.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a client with a 2004 limited. Drove it every time he wanted it detailed as I’d pick it up from his work and take it to my house to do the work and then bring it back to him. I liked it so much that I wanted one when I sold my Durango, before buying my Yukon. But once I drove both a 5.3 and a 6.0 powered GM, there was no comparison. While his Seqoiua was definitely a nice ride it lacked the get up and go power I wanted in a big SUV. Plus that engine is not as easy to work on for someone like me who isn’t a professional mechanic. The choice was clear that the 4.7L V8 was not the engine for me when I could get into a GM with an LS based engine.
They're better at different things. For offroading, camping and interior space i like my sequoia for on road and long trips i like my tahoe with the 6l80e. 5.3 vs 4.7 pretty similar 6.0 is a different story

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make your case, then ...
they're cheap and reliable, just as the gmt800s. Typically the same price. Build quality with toyota is better, I don't think too many people will disagree with that. But i like both of them.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they're cheap and reliable, just as the gmt800s. Typically the same price. Build quality with toyota is better, I don't think too many people will disagree with that. But i like both of them.

I’d argue that the GMT800 edges the Toyota out simply because they’re a dime a dozen. I see old Tahoes and Yukons and Suburbans CONSTANTLY. Versus the occasional Sequoia. Hence parts are much more readily available and competitive. Hence why we’re all here on a forum talking about a vehicle that was discontinued almost 20 years ago ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar