Need suggestions - After the mess I have gone through over the past 9 months, what should I ask GMC to do? Vehicle repurchased, new vehicle in shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djsassan

Reaction score
Long, long story short, here are the key points. Yes, I am cutting out a LOT of details. I'd like your thoughts on what I should ask GMC to do next.

Aug 2022: Bought a 2021 Yukon XL Denali with 38k miles, all highway.

Nov 2022: Car shut off on me in the middle of the highway in Maryland at 80 mph with my kids in the car on our first road trip in the new car. Towed to dealer in the middle of nowhere on a Saturday, had to beg repeatedly to get a loaner until Monday as there was not a rental car place open within 75 miles of the dealership. They gave me one, continued my journey to DC, returned on Monday and met at the agreed upon time of 130p. By 5p, they determined the engine needed to be replaced under powertrain warranty due to complete failure. They were also figuring out numbers if I were to trade-in on the spot so I could get a new one and drive home. By 8pm, they gave me a super lowball offer I rejected, then they told me I couldn't take the loaner car anymore because it was going to be a while before the engine was replaced. At 8pm at night (kids had not eaten since noon, you can imagine the scenario after sitting at a dealership for 8 hours) nothing open in this remote area of Maryland, so drove 70 miles back to Washington DC, got a rental, drove 70 miles BACK to the dealer, dropped off car, got a hotel for the night, then drove back to Ohio. Was in a rental car for over a month.

Dec 2022: Engine has been replaced, vehicle shipped back to me. Vehicle does not start while still on the carrier. Driver messed with the battery, we get it started and off the truck, pull into driveway and it immediately dies. Towed the next morning to my local dealership, they repair some things the first dealer did not complete and get the car ready for me.

Ten days later with one of my kids in the car, the car dies again on the highway at 70 mph. Missed a flight, had vehicle towed to a dealer where after speaking with GMC TAC, they deemed the engine was not replaced correctly by the first dealer and that it needed to be replaced AGAIN. The first dealer's engine lasted 146 miles. Four weeks later, engine is replaced and I drive 70 miles to the dealer to exchange in the loaner they gave me for my car. Had the loaner for a month.

March 2023: Car won't start. Towed to dealership, they assess and find issue with alternator and other engine components. By this point, I have a lawyer involved and GMC is agreeing to repurchase the vehicle, we are now going through all the details. GMC wants me to pay for the repair, I refuse because the issue is again related to the engine which has been replaced twice and killed the battery during the process (long story). I am in dealership loaner car for 32 days, car is finally repaired.

GMC has agreed to a repurchase at this point, if I get another GMC product. I love the truck, just not the one I have, so I agree.

April 2023: Local dealer says he has a Yukon XL Denali for me to see, so I immediately drive up there. He offers me this one, or one with the rear entertainment package coming in 3 weeks. I tell him I will wait and pay the extra 2k, it will be worth it with kids and I am waiting on GMC paperwork anyways.

May 31, 2023: I get a FULL refund of the vehicle and use that money as a deposit on brand spanking new 2023 Yukon XL Denali black-on-black with 2 actual miles on it. They held the car for me for 7 weeks. Local dealer has been great to work with.

June 2023: I own the car 3 days. Bought it on Wednesday, Saturday morning start the car to go out and get an error: Safety Restraint System something. Drive to dealer, they say they will look at it Monday. They determine the upper console has no power, and there is a technical service bulletin about it that came out at the end of April. No ETA on the part. The car has 102 miles on it now. If I drive it as is, the airbags and seat belts will not function correctly.

July 2023: The car is STILL sitting at the shop with zero ETA on the part. The dealership has been great keeping me updated, they were great during the sales process, they have been very understanding of my situation and frustrations and are trying to get some help from GMC. Put me in their biggest loaner possible which is an Acadia, and even rented a separate vehicle for me so I could go to Canada for a weekend trip that was planned months ago. They are trying their best, or so it seems to me from the surface as I don't know the inner workings of these scenarios.

I finally called in to GMC and raised a major stink, as well as asked the attorney to get back involved. I agreed to purchase a new vehicle if they bought mine back, and I fulfilled my end of the deal. I am even understanding that things happen and a brand new vehicle may have a thing or two that needs fixed/tweaked here and there. That said, I have a car payment due in 10 days on a car I don't even drive and have no clue when I will get it back. I have told GMC I feel I should not make a payment on the vehicle as I am not driving, and that at this point they should make additional payments for every month I did not have my previous vehicle as well which was almost 4 months worth. I am paying a large sum monthly to drive rentals and loaner vehicles.

I really, really, really like the product. It took me 6 months of research to settle on a Yukon, but I have lost hope.

What should I ask for at this point?

TLDR: I bought a GMC product in Aug 2022, as of July 2023 I have driven MY GMC vehicle a total of 5 months out of the 9 months I have owned a GM and have never had an oil change because I dont get to drive the car I own. What should I ask for as fair compensation?

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for one thing u shouldn’t be paying for a loaner from the dealership unless your talking about the rentals? I def understand you not wanting to make the payments but you probably should to look better on your side of things. Feel bad for you, I just had my 22’ Silverado in the shop for 2.5 weeks but was nothing compared to your situation…

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a very bad situation. It sounds like they tried yo make it right after a lot of hassle (which is unfortunate too as it shouldn’t be that difficult).

I love my ‘21 Tahoe but I also feel it’s a ticking time bomb after only half the lifters were replaced at 9,100 and currently have 21,000 on it. I’m fortunate that’s all I’ve had to wrong with it. I’m hoping to trade it in on a ‘24 model since that’s kinda version 2 of this platform (slight redesign), but I don’t think those start production till late this year. I’m also curious on the ‘24 Acadia as that should be a newer and larger vehicle again (similar to the Enclave/Traverse); I had a 2012 version of that before the 2017 model and liked it.

As far as immediate options, if I had to deal with all that you ran into I prob would’ve gotten fed up after the first ‘21 failure and got something else. Not sure what that would’ve been…maybe I’d consider an Expedition, but knowing me I’d probably get an Enclave…it’s about the same interior size, plus better gas mileage.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to your nightmare! So sorry to hear all of that, the worst auto experience anyone can imagine. I would not blame you one bit for trying something else. Maybe the new Toyota Grand Highlander? We have a 2022 Denali and so far so good. No problems and no complaints. Still, I am not sure if it is our forever vehicle.

rswaug

Reaction score
GM will cover your payments while the vehicle is in the shop, assuming it meets the time requirements. The dealership will have to submit a copy of your contract to prove what your actual payment is. There is also a limit on the amount of the payment but it's pretty substantial so that shouldn't be a concern. They'll have to complete the repair to know how many months they're going to reimburse you for so just keep making your payment in the meantime. I'd ask the service manager to use the empowerment tool and he'll be able to submit to GM as a warranty claim to reimburse you for the downtime.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long, long story short, here are the key points. Yes, I am cutting out a LOT of details. I'd like your thoughts on what I should ask GMC to do next.

Aug 2022: Bought a 2021 Yukon XL Denali with 38k miles, all highway.

Nov 2022: Car shut off on me in the middle of the highway in Maryland at 80 mph with my kids in the car on our first road trip in the new car. Towed to dealer in the middle of nowhere on a Saturday, had to beg repeatedly to get a loaner until Monday as there was not a rental car place open within 75 miles of the dealership. They gave me one, continued my journey to DC, returned on Monday and met at the agreed upon time of 130p. By 5p, they determined the engine needed to be replaced under powertrain warranty due to complete failure. They were also figuring out numbers if I were to trade-in on the spot so I could get a new one and drive home. By 8pm, they gave me a super lowball offer I rejected, then they told me I couldn't take the loaner car anymore because it was going to be a while before the engine was replaced. At 8pm at night (kids had not eaten since noon, you can imagine the scenario after sitting at a dealership for 8 hours) nothing open in this remote area of Maryland, so drove 70 miles back to Washington DC, got a rental, drove 70 miles BACK to the dealer, dropped off car, got a hotel for the night, then drove back to Ohio. Was in a rental car for over a month.

Dec 2022: Engine has been replaced, vehicle shipped back to me. Vehicle does not start while still on the carrier. Driver messed with the battery, we get it started and off the truck, pull into driveway and it immediately dies. Towed the next morning to my local dealership, they repair some things the first dealer did not complete and get the car ready for me.

Ten days later with one of my kids in the car, the car dies again on the highway at 70 mph. Missed a flight, had vehicle towed to a dealer where after speaking with GMC TAC, they deemed the engine was not replaced correctly by the first dealer and that it needed to be replaced AGAIN. The first dealer's engine lasted 146 miles. Four weeks later, engine is replaced and I drive 70 miles to the dealer to exchange in the loaner they gave me for my car. Had the loaner for a month.

March 2023: Car won't start. Towed to dealership, they assess and find issue with alternator and other engine components. By this point, I have a lawyer involved and GMC is agreeing to repurchase the vehicle, we are now going through all the details. GMC wants me to pay for the repair, I refuse because the issue is again related to the engine which has been replaced twice and killed the battery during the process (long story). I am in dealership loaner car for 32 days, car is finally repaired.

GMC has agreed to a repurchase at this point, if I get another GMC product. I love the truck, just not the one I have, so I agree.

April 2023: Local dealer says he has a Yukon XL Denali for me to see, so I immediately drive up there. He offers me this one, or one with the rear entertainment package coming in 3 weeks. I tell him I will wait and pay the extra 2k, it will be worth it with kids and I am waiting on GMC paperwork anyways.

May 31, 2023: I get a FULL refund of the vehicle and use that money as a deposit on brand spanking new 2023 Yukon XL Denali black-on-black with 2 actual miles on it. They held the car for me for 7 weeks. Local dealer has been great to work with.

June 2023: I own the car 3 days. Bought it on Wednesday, Saturday morning start the car to go out and get an error: Safety Restraint System something. Drive to dealer, they say they will look at it Monday. They determine the upper console has no power, and there is a technical service bulletin about it that came out at the end of April. No ETA on the part. The car has 102 miles on it now. If I drive it as is, the airbags and seat belts will not function correctly.

July 2023: The car is STILL sitting at the shop with zero ETA on the part. The dealership has been great keeping me updated, they were great during the sales process, they have been very understanding of my situation and frustrations and are trying to get some help from GMC. Put me in their biggest loaner possible which is an Acadia, and even rented a separate vehicle for me so I could go to Canada for a weekend trip that was planned months ago. They are trying their best, or so it seems to me from the surface as I don't know the inner workings of these scenarios.

I finally called in to GMC and raised a major stink, as well as asked the attorney to get back involved. I agreed to purchase a new vehicle if they bought mine back, and I fulfilled my end of the deal. I am even understanding that things happen and a brand new vehicle may have a thing or two that needs fixed/tweaked here and there. That said, I have a car payment due in 10 days on a car I don't even drive and have no clue when I will get it back. I have told GMC I feel I should not make a payment on the vehicle as I am not driving, and that at this point they should make additional payments for every month I did not have my previous vehicle as well which was almost 4 months worth. I am paying a large sum monthly to drive rentals and loaner vehicles.

I really, really, really like the product. It took me 6 months of research to settle on a Yukon, but I have lost hope.

What should I ask for at this point?

TLDR: I bought a GMC product in Aug 2022, as of July 2023 I have driven MY GMC vehicle a total of 5 months out of the 9 months I have owned a GM and have never had an oil change because I dont get to drive the car I own. What should I ask for as fair compensation?
This sucks and I hate that it's happening to you. It also seems that you have been patient and balanced throughout the whole ordeal. One breakdown on the road with my family in tow would've been enough for anyone - especially with such a costly vehicle.

All of that said, I wouldn't mess around with the payments. Your lawyer should know this, but from a contract perspective, your financing and your warranty/restitution are two separate agreements. As such, you are contractually obligated to make payments regardless of whether or not you are having h3ll with the vehicle itself and/or the manufacturer.

If I were in your shoes, I would think about what I want to feel whole. Is it yet another new Yukon with perhaps a different powertrain like the Duramax? Is it compensation for any money you've had to spend through all of this? Is it for them to reimburse you for a few payments you had to make on a vehicle you can't drive? Or some combination of these? Then I would chat with the lawyer about what it might take to negotiate with GM for those things.

The answer may be it's not worth it. Or it may be that if you work with GM in good faith, as you have, that you have a good chance of them making you whole. Or it may mean pursuing a lawsuit of some kind. Your lawyer may be the aggressive kind who wants to spend your money to get all that he can back for you. Personally, I avoid those types at all costs. If it were me, I would have to ask myself at what cost will that really come at in terms of my time, energy and money. And I would also prepare myself mentally for letting it go if it comes to that, so I don't have to carry around angst.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Geotrash said it best above.

My $0.02:
1) Keep paying your vehicle loan; that is an agreement between you and a financial institution (whether that is GM's finance arm, or another party). You don't want to affect your credit, good faith, etc on that.

2) Think about what you need to feel OK with the situation; then negotiate in good faith for that. Patiently, calm, and reasonable like...you can easily stick up for yourself in a firm and nice way; no point in being a pain to work with...grandpa always said "you gather more bees with honey than you do with vinegar." (sounds like this is the approach you have been taking)

3) Don't sleep on the dealer GM, Service Manager, etc...they can really be your advocates. Remember, they didn't build the vehicle; GM did...so they have as much interest in you being a satisfied customer as you do. With them on your side; things can and will go better in the long haul.

4) Your attorney can be an asset or a hinderance; make sure you channel him/her to the asset side.

Good luck, I know it has been frustrating. This last problem you have seems to be a known one...so hopefully they can get you some parts and on the road again smoothly.

OP
OP
D

djsassan

Reaction score
This sucks and I hate that it's happening to you. It also seems that you have been patient and balanced throughout the whole ordeal. One breakdown on the road with my family in tow would've been enough for anyone - especially with such a costly vehicle.

All of that said, I wouldn't mess around with the payments. Your lawyer should know this, but from a contract perspective, your financing and your warranty/restitution are two separate agreements. As such, you are contractually obligated to make payments regardless of whether or not you are having h3ll with the vehicle itself and/or the manufacturer.

If I were in your shoes, I would think about what I want to feel whole. Is it yet another new Yukon with perhaps a different powertrain like the Duramax? Is it compensation for any money you've had to spend through all of this? Is it for them to reimburse you for a few payments you had to make on a vehicle you can't drive? Or some combination of these? Then I would chat with the lawyer about what it might take to negotiate with GM for those things.

The answer may be it's not worth it. Or it may be that if you work with GM in good faith, as you have, that you have a good chance of them making you whole. Or it may mean pursuing a lawsuit of some kind. Your lawyer may be the aggressive kind who wants to spend your money to get all that he can back for you. Personally, I avoid those types at all costs. If it were me, I would have to ask myself at what cost will that really come at in terms of my time, energy and money. And I would also prepare myself mentally for letting it go if it comes to that, so I don't have to carry around angst.

Thanks. I am absolutely going to make the payments, my credit is too good to mess with. I am not looking to sue or fall into litigation, I just want them to fix the truck immediately even if that means pulling a part from production to make this happen. I know it will impact someone else, but I am sorry I have been much more than patient to this point. I feel it would be fitting that they extend the bumper-to-bumper by a year, powertrain by a year, and pay for 5 months of payments because that is how long I have not driven MY vehicle. I signed away the right to litigate when they purchased the previous vehicle back, but that's ok because I was cool with the agreement assuming the new vehicle was working.

Well for one thing u shouldn’t be paying for a loaner from the dealership unless your talking about the rentals? I def understand you not wanting to make the payments but you probably should to look better on your side of things. Feel bad for you, I just had my 22’ Silverado in the shop for 2.5 weeks but was nothing compared to your situation…
I have not been paying for a loaner. I paid for the first rental and the dealership reimbursed me once they got reimbursed by GM. $1900 note I carried for them, but it played out.

GM will cover your payments while the vehicle is in the shop, assuming it meets the time requirements. The dealership will have to submit a copy of your contract to prove what your actual payment is. There is also a limit on the amount of the payment but it's pretty substantial so that shouldn't be a concern. They'll have to complete the repair to know how many months they're going to reimburse you for so just keep making your payment in the meantime. I'd ask the service manager to use the empowerment tool and he'll be able to submit to GM as a warranty claim to reimburse you for the downtime.

Thank you, this is great info to have. Any other suggestions?

All the lawyer is trying to do is to get the right attention on the matter and try to get the car back on the road asap.

Thanks for all the replies. Again, going to repeat what I put above for your opinions. Would this be fair: I feel it would be fitting that they extend the bumper-to-bumper by a year, powertrain by a year, and pay for 5 months of payments because that is how long I have not driven MY vehicle.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Again, going to repeat what I put above for your opinions. Would this be fair: I feel it would be fitting that they extend the bumper-to-bumper by a year, powertrain by a year, and pay for 5 months of payments because that is how long I have not driven MY vehicle.
Yes, seems fair.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might consider asking them for a GM Protection Plan to 8 years and 120K miles? Start with adding this to your list...but as a "walk away" consider this instead of the 5 months of payments.

Thought Process:
Financially, this may be a better deal for you long term, purchasing tha coverage is around $4k, I think. Not sure how Much your Payments are...so might be a wash or close.
Mentally, leaves you in a better head space, knowing this thing won't nickel and dime you over the period of ownership.
GM may like it better than writing you a check, so may be easier to get done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts