Weird smell when A/C is turned on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t describe it, but when I turn my A/C on a weird smell comes out. First thought was to change the canine filter, but soon found out there isn’t one.

Any idea of what this could be? It doesn’t smell like road kill or anything. Maybe like a cleaning agent of some type or wet type smell. Idk. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife’s Tahoe had a funky smell. Almost an acidic moldy smell. Dealer sprayed it, cane back. Chevy replaced it all. Came back. They say it is mold growing. She doesn’t have it anymore

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta cut the box open, clean the core and put a filter in. Make sure the condensate drain isn’t plugged up. Run the heat a minute before you turn off the truck. Helps to dry it all out. Sucks but it’s the only way until you clean everything out.

yugrus

Reaction score
That's mold growing in your evaporator. There are products to spray into cabin air intake set on recirculation.
Alternatively, you can cut open the slot to install your own cabin filter, which is right in front of heater core and evaporator, and spray there before you install the filter. I did that years ago, lots of instructions online, and there's a stock lid for sale to close the opening.
Turn your A/C off 5 minutes before you park, and let the blower dry the evaporator. Alternatively, ask your dealer to enable "afterblower" mode. With good scanner you can do it yourself. It blows the fan at full power few minutes after you park, several times, and this too dries evaporator very well.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

yugrus

Reaction score
This would make a rig the whole $10 cheaper to produce...

OP
OP
chilleblanco36

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's mold growing in your evaporator. There are products to spray into cabin air intake set on recirculation.
Alternatively, you can cut open the slot to install your own cabin filter, which is right in front of heater core and evaporator, and spray there before you install the filter. I did that years ago, lots of instructions online, and there's a stock lid for sale to close the opening.
Turn your A/C off 5 minutes before you park, and let the blower dry the evaporator. Alternatively, ask your dealer to enable "afterblower" mode. With good scanner you can do it yourself. It blows the fan at full power few minutes after you park, several times, and this too dries evaporator very well.

By doing this, would I still need to cut open the box and etc.? I wonder if blackbear tuners can do this? I have their tune right now in my truck. Thanks for replying

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You don't have to, although they managed to sell the truck to you :) With no filter!

Wrongo bucko. Look at my signature and see my Tahoe info. It is a 2002 and mine has a cabin air filter from the factory. What is the next excuse or assumption you want to use?

Next time look before you leap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak