Stability System Disabled/Engine Power Reduced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is probably the most dangerous thing that's ever happened to us in a vehicle, & I can't believe a car manufacturer would actually incorporate a feature like this.

Feature? Huh?

In hectic Florida traffic our new-to-us, one-owner, 100K mile, 2004 Escalade ESV went into Stability System Disabled/Engine Power Reduced mode, with the TC warning light also on. This is our second Escalade of that generation, 6.0 L, AWD, and we've never had that before.

We have been driving this platform Yukon/Escalade/Tahoe for 300,000 miles, and this is a shocking first for us.

60 MPH to 40 MPH without warning!!!!! Other drivers flipping us off, us crossing our fingers and limping, left-turning across two lanes of oncoming 60 MPH traffic. The car behind us, assuming we would be moving normal speed, almost got creamed.

We've driven this car about 1800 miles, last week 1200 miles from Missouri to Florida.

It could have been worse; we were within 5 miles of home, and made it. But, this is crazy dangerous!!!!!

Last edited:

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is really unbelievable that a car manufacturer build a car, where only 18years later a technical system has a failure... :Big Laugh:

Why don't you just switch of the system, with the switch right to the climacontrol panel?

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a power cycle fix the issue?

I've done the whole put er in N while coasting and do a quick restart to clear a glitch. It's can be sketchy depending on how much traffic you're in - and I know what you are referring to in FL. DAMN are there a lot of people down there!! LOL

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, do this, do that . . . .

I did quite a few of those coasting, restarts, trying to time traffic lights, in five miles. It really did not want to restart at all, especially when we had that left hand turn across two lanes of traffic.

Like other forums, with shocked/panicked GM SUV owners of the same vintage, there seems to be enough solutions/answers to keep me searching for awhile.

Maybe I did not state what I believed to be obvious, that after owning and driving this platform for 300,000,and never having had this issue, I had not idea how to handle it. My wife was with me, and she always knows the answer to everything, and she did not for this!!!!! Go figure.

& that having a vehicle go from highway speed to 40 MPH in crazy Florida traffic is not a safe feature, regardless of anything else. What if it had happed on I-75, when the vehicle approaching from behind was doing 120?

We have never had a serious message in a Message Center. Now that we know this can happen, it will always be there, wondering if it's going to happen again, and when.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to read that you experienced this issue. But, having driven this platform for 300,00 miles without any significant issue like this, I'm thinking that you've been fortunate with this platform.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to read that you experienced this issue. But, having driven this platform for 300,00 miles without any significant issue like this, I'm thinking that you've been fortunate with this platform.
Yes we have been. Thanks for understanding.

(stuff unrelated to the problem deleted.)

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you read all the codes to see what the underlying cause of this might be?

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes.

P0220 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor Switch

&

P2135 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor Switch A/B voltage Correlation

The same codes mentioned on another forum.

Just going out on a limb here . . . if it's the throttle pedal, I'm guessing disabling TC and SS would not resolve it.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe way off base . . . this vehicle has pedal positions as part as the Driver 1/Driver 2 settings, and I moved them a bit when I set Driver 1. That was 2000 miles ago.