The Case for the Tech-2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be a laptop? In other words, do you NEED the computer and the scanner AT the vehicle at the time or can you use the tech2 as a go between from a desktop like the autocal for tuning?
There are two options for programming a module. One is to have the computer and Tech2 connected at the vehicle, and it is done all in one step (called passthrough mode). The second option is to connect the Tech2 to the vehicle and obtain the module information for the programming that you want to do, then you take the Tech2 to the computer (so no, it does not have to be a laptop), and once connected, use the TIS2000 menu to download the module software to the Tech2, and finally, take the Tech2 back to the vehicle to program the module. I've done it both ways, and passthrough is quicker, but the remote option isn't as tedious as it sounds.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I found out you have to install the TIS2000 on a laptop either running WinXP or in compatibility mode if it’s running Win7 or 10.
Yes, I run it on an older laptop that I have both Win7 and XP hard drives for. I just stick the XP drive in it when I want to use TIS2000. I have been wanting to see if it will work on the Win7 drive, but haven't tried it yet. I have a docking station for the laptop that has the old type serial port, which is what I have used to connect the Tech2, but I recently bought a USB-serial adapter so I don't have to use the dock. I haven't tried the adapter yet, it's a Sabrent brand which uses the Proliphic chip, but I'll try to test it soon and report on whether it works (I've heard some brands don't). The KeySpan adapter that James mentioned I believe uses a TI chip, which generally has very good compatibility.

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
There are two options for programming a module. One is to have the computer and Tech2 connected at the vehicle, and it is done all in one step (called passthrough mode). The second option is to connect the Tech2 to the vehicle and obtain the module information for the programming that you want to do, then you take the Tech2 to the computer (so no, it does not have to be a laptop), and once connected, use the TIS2000 menu to download the module software to the Tech2, and finally, take the Tech2 back to the vehicle to program the module. I've done it both ways, and passthrough is quicker, but the remote option isn't as tedious as it sounds.

Thanks Doug. Exactly what I wondered.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really don't need a laptop unless you are planing on programming a calibration, otherwise all the software does is emulate the tech2, much easier to just use the tech2, I also ran tis2web on windows 7 64bit on my pc desktop by just running a Ethernet cable w/serial adapter out to the tech2 connected to the truck

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be a laptop? In other words, do you NEED the computer and the scanner AT the vehicle at the time or can you use the tech2 as a go between from a desktop like the autocal for tuning?

Only need laptop for programming or to download snapshot from Tech-2 to TIS2000 for viewing. The Tech-2 is handy in the car when driving. A laptop is cumbersome and a pain.

Edit: My browser is not updating and am missing posts until after I respond, like a "Johnny come lately"!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So tech2win is the emulator, right? Do you know how fully functional it is ( I imagine that's part of the experiment)? What's gds2?
Ya tech2win is the emulator, gds2 is a interface type (i think) I will find out what it can and can't do when I get the tablet, I bought this just as a experiment, maybe I can set it up and sell it for $350 like that other guy did, lol if nothing else I figured it might be nicer to use a touch tablet than a laptop or even the tech2

***I think some gm vehicles use the gds2 interface instead of the tech2

gds.JPG

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya tech2win is the emulator, gds2 is a interface type (i think) I will find out what it can and can't do when I get the tablet, I bought this just as a experiment, maybe I can set it up and sell it for $350 like that other guy did, lol if nothing else I figured it might be nicer to use a touch tablet than a laptop or even the tech2

***I think some gm vehicles use the gds2 interface instead of the tech2

View attachment 227957

The MDI and MDI2 is the interface that replaces the Tech-2. GDS and GDS2 is the software used on the laptop/tablet.

The tablet would be so much handier, especially if it connects to the internet to download and program modules. Handier than the Tech-2 when driving around too! It is backwards compatible with older vehicles too if I remember right. Most GM platforms switched over to MDI/GDS around 2013-2014. K2s use this and not the Tech-2.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The MDI and MDI2 is the interface that replaces the Tech-2. GDS and GDS2 is the software used on the laptop/tablet.

The tablet would be so much handier, especially if it connects to the internet to download and program modules. Handier than the Tech-2 when driving around too! It is backwards compatible with older vehicles too if I remember right. Most GM platforms switched over to MDI/GDS around 2013-2014. K2s use this and not the Tech-2.
should be but I will find out more once I get the tablet and software put on it, the adapter is obd2 only so best case scenario it will go back to 96

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157