Stability System Disabled/Engine Power Reduced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
throttle body and or the pedal can cause this. they need to communicate, if they cant, all you said happened can happen.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will look at the pedal assembly tomorrow, but if it's similar to the '07 Silverado pedal assembly replacement video, it's an easy peasy DIY.

The sensor is all part of the assembly, with a typical electrical connector. Click off the old, click on the new.

But, being an Escalade, and being a Platinum, who knows.

That pedal assembly is $64 at O'Reilly, available in one day, and the replacement is a 30 min task.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pedal problems aren't super common luckily, but I know of two 2500hd pickups that had glitchy pedals. One did weird stuff with how it ran, the other had dead zone right off idle and ran fine for another 100k. Guess it just depends on how they fail.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I picked it up at O'Reilly's (ordered online and picked up 2 hours later), the guy behind the counter knew exactly what it was, and what had happened to us, without me saying anything. He said it happened to him on I-75 at a very-busy Sarasota exit. He agreed that a feature that shuts a vehicle down without warning is scary stuff, extremely dangerous, and should never happen.

There's a difference between aging, failing parts and stupid engineering.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh oh! First issue. The old assembly has what appears to be a speedometer cable coming down from above, on the right, and the replacement assembly does not. Both assemblies are the same shape, with the electrical connector to the left, and above. So, I'm stumped.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone reads this thread for advice, just buy the sensor and switch out from the old one, and don't replace the pedal assembly. I got the assembly and it's the wrong one. I have adjustable pedals and that assembly is much harder to work with, much more expensive, and probably not available anyway. I have it all switched out, by putting a new sensor on it, but, and it's a really big but, I cannot get what appears to be a speedometer cable to seat, so that I can get that to slide down where it needs to be, to twist the locking thingie.

The assembly that was recommended, and that I bought, does not have that speedometer cable assembly.

Also, I had to buy $40 worth of extensions and swivel sockets to get the top nut of the pedal assembly back on.

I've given up for today, tomorrow always being full of hope.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A funny thing happened on my way to O'Reilly's, to return the $40 of excess crap they sold me yesterday.

A guy from O'Reilly Corporate called and said I was right, it is an error in their online catalog to not show that the pedal assembly I bought was for a vehicle Without Adjustable Pedals. He apologized for the horrible day I had yesterday, and this morning, and is sending me a gift card for notifying them of their online catalog error.

I'm hoping the gift is for Famous Dave's, but it will probably be for O'Reilly's. :cool:

He also apologized for the inhospitable, condescending attitude of the employee who treated me like a total dufus, when I'm really just half a dufus. Fell free to try to run me down . . . I check here every now and then.

I have some other hints about how to do this task, so you won't have to find them on your own, after trying the wrong way on a few things.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me emphasize that if you DIY this fix, 1. you replace just the sensor, and not the entire pedal assembly, and 2. make sure you get the correct sensor, either for adjustable pedals or not adjustable pedals.

Not all online catalogs are worded correctly.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing again today:

P0120: Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor Switch

P2135: Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor Switch A/B Voltage Correlation

Wife was driving alone, and made it home.

This could get annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC