The Case for the Tech-2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should be getting my Tech2 in a few days.

First thing I need to do with it is hook it up to the '01 Yukon and command a HVAC actuator recalibration. I'm hoping that's what's causing the mode actuator to continuously click when turned all the way to the left (dash vents). It will stop clicking if you move the dial one click up. It just seems that when the dial is turned all the way the actuator is moving past it's range and will constantly click every second. I tried to do a recalibration in the past by unplugging the fuse for a bit then KOEO, but didn't hear the actuators moving/recalibrating
I’m interested if you can find a way to do that. I didn’t see that option for my 02 but it might have just been me not the Tech 2.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this guy has usa stock in california, has received positive reviews for them, he's selling about 1 a day on average, if i was in the market again I would buy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Tech-I...816442?hash=item287f436a7a:g:iH8AAOSwPlhdBGN7
Second this. He is who I bought mine from a couple of years ago. I've used it quite a bit and had no issues. Besides running diagnostics, I have also done a VIN relearn on a radio, reprogrammed a seat module with the reversed switch problem and updated the software in my instrument cluster.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Second this. He is who I bought mine from a couple of years ago. I've used it quite a bit and had no issues. Besides running diagnostics, I have also done a VIN relearn on a radio, reprogrammed a seat module with the reversed switch problem and updated the software in my instrument cluster.
Do you need a laptop or anything else that isn't included in that ebay tech2?

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A note on doing VIN relearn on radios, I have read that for some models of radio, such as the UC6, you can't simply do the relearn procedure. You have to reprogram the radio, so laptop needed. I haven't gotten around to checking this to see if what I have read was accurate though. I do know that the TNR unit is a simple relearn, because I have done that one.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you get that separately? If so, where? Thx.
TIS2000 came on a CD with my Tech2, and also a USB dongle to activate it. As I recall, I had to have USB stick in the computer when I installed TIS2000, and everything worked after that. TIS2WEB is GM's newer system for programming. It is just a website that you pay a subscription to and use a web browser to access the programming features of the Tech2. I have not used TIS2WEB, so I can't tell you much more than that about it. I don't see the point in using anything but TIS2000 for the GMT800s though. I think about the 2007-08 MY you have to use TIS2WEB because TIS2000 doesn't contain the programming for the newer vehicles.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TIS2000 came on a CD with my Tech2, and also a USB dongle to activate it. As I recall, I had to have USB stick in the computer when I installed TIS2000, and everything worked after that. TIS2WEB is GM's newer system for programming. It is just a website that you pay a subscription to and use a web browser to access the programming features of the Tech2. I have not used TIS2WEB, so I can't tell you much more than that about it. I don't see the point in using anything but TIS2000 for the GMT800s though. I think about the 2007-08 MY you have to use TIS2WEB because TIS2000 doesn't contain the programming for the newer vehicles.

Exactly right AFAIK. Everything for the GMT800s and earlier should be on TIS2000 discs which come with the Tech-2 usually. I have it. I also use TIS2000 to view snapshots which some of you have seen me post about on here via youtube.

I'm glad Doug chimed in as I have no experience with programming.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I found out you have to install the TIS2000 on a laptop either running WinXP or in compatibility mode if it’s running Win7 or 10.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Also I found out you have to install the TIS2000 on a laptop either running WinXP or in compatibility mode if it’s running Win7 or 10.

Does it have to be a laptop? In other words, do you NEED the computer and the scanner AT the vehicle at the time or can you use the tech2 as a go between from a desktop like the autocal for tuning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu