Motor oil revelations !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was using AAP Carquest 10W40 full syn( got 5qt jug for 5 cents lol HA) and a mobil M1 filter and My burban DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL !!
OIL PSI VERY VERY low and engine idling rough

So I did a motor flush and went to Mobil super synthetic 10W30 and XG 10060 filter and now she's happy again PSI back up, da 5.3 running like normal !!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the increased pressure applied to the bearings? is pressure measured before the filter or after? How can a filter increase pressure?

Not sure but I reckon the pressure is higher because the filter media is less restrictive. Pressure readings taken from Tech-2 and the dash gauge only.

even since I was in a Navy CB unit, the mechanics always stuck by their statement, "You can never have too fresh of oil in the engine!"

Sea Bees huh? When? Had the pleasure of spending time after hours on base with a reserve unit once back in the '80s. NAS Glenview.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a Wix Guy for years with the occasional Delco or Fram. Oil wise I used the master parts blend from Bumper to Bumper for years in all our vehicles. The 4.2 L6 in the Envoy did not like the fram filter and threw several cam timing codes before I swapped the filter.

Now with my first AFM motor I am contemplating which full synthetic to run.

ACDelco's or Shell Rotella would be my suggestion. The ACDelco performs better in my motor than plain old Mobil One. Numbers from Blackstone are better too.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Is the increased pressure applied to the bearings? is pressure measured before the filter or after? How can a filter increase pressure? Ill throw a K&N at it tomorrow without changing the oil cause it only has a couple hundred miles on the "sub standard mobil one 5/30"lol! but i would like to see if i get the same results.
The increased pressure is applied to the bearings. Pressure is measured after the filter. The pressure is created by the restriction to the flow caused by the components down stream of the pump and if taken ahead of the filter would measure higher. The higher pressure is due to the added flow through the filter. As the bearings and things wear more oil can pass through and the pressure will begin to decrease unless the volume viscosity or restriction to flow is increased. It’s part of the reason it is important to have the same clearance on components like rod bearings. If one is too different it will get more or less oil than the rest.

Fluid dynamics is interesting.

OP
OP
James Ward

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
Not sure but I reckon the pressure is higher because the filter media is less restrictive. Pressure readings taken from Tech-2 and the dash gauge only.

Sea Bees huh? When? Had the pleasure of spending time after hours on base with a reserve unit once back in the '80s. NAS Glenview.

1969 Vietnam, 21 Naval Regiment, NMCB-1 Alpha company, 7th platoon. I was an operator and we all got to set down after work to drink beer and shot the S*&T with the mechanics at the EM club. Great guys and these guys did mostly high end diesel engines, but some of the lighter equipment was gas powered. I had one friend, Bobby Rhodes, and what he could do to the Volkswagen engine was truly amazing, and back in the sixties, turbos where only in the Diesel engines for the most part. And Oil pressure is the result of volume after the oil filter, a high volume oil pump will give higher PSI. And I didn't say Mobil-1 isn't good, it is. I had a LS1 in a 2003 Corvette, and if I had one guy mention the valve tap in their LS1, I must of had 30 of them mention it. It wasn't a valve tap, but piston slap. It's really harmless, it only happens when the engine is cold and only lasts about 60 seconds after start. Mobil-1 5W/30 was the oil of choice by GM back then and it was great oil, never let anyone I knew, but I have run across a few tests showing maybe Pennzoil might be a little better? And WIX filters have always been top shelf since I cut my teeth on engines in 1967. But engines today have very little to do with modern engines. The engineering and manufacture is so good today that they have almost nothing to do with 40 year old engines. However, the Ford 3 valve triton engine is a and will forever be a sad low point for the brand. This is engineering gone wrong from the get-go. And GM's AFM or DFM are running a close second. i Engineering and installing valve lifters, a Integral Engine part that run the very good chance of coming apart in the engines lifetime is very very sad point. So many of today's top brand engines have become "Throw-Away" engines and are a stain on automotive engineers everywhere. In aviation this would never be allowed, any doubt, would seal it's fate. And I don't want to rant, so please excuse me, but if the EPA WANTED clean air, they would and should start with Power Plants and Aviation. Since I live fairly close to a Major airport I promise you, you would not believe how much pollution a Jet engine puts out and multiply it by 45.000 roughly, the number of fights a day, and you get the picture. The EPA always comes after the domestic automobile market, and it is because we are defenseless, low-hanging fruit as we are known in our society. That's not leadership, it's just underhandedness and fraud.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1969 Vietnam, 21 Naval Regiment, NMCB-1 Alpha company, 7th platoon. I was an operator and we all got to set down after work to drink beer and shot the S*&T with the mechanics at the EM club.

Was that at Danang? Was that during the time you guys supported the Green Berets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667