Motor oil revelations !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as its not ****** top off oil from 7/11 and you change it regularly at 4 or 7K for conventional, or 8-10K synthetic, it really doesnt matter which oil you use. its the same as the old Chevy/Ford debate.

LittleFish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Given that an engine will not wear out and fail in at least 20 years of use, using a quality synthetic oil and oil filter, is it really worth the expense and trouble of a centrifugal oil bypass filter? Unless you like spending extra money just to say "I will die before my truck does", I don't think I'll go crazy with oil and filters. I'll stick with a synthetic oil and Wix or ACDelco filters.

Up here in the PNW and Canada, the bodies would rust out first, other mechanical components would wear out and fail, and the lure of newer technology usually causes us to purchase a new or newer vehicle long before an engine would wear out. I doubt my cylinder head cracked because of extended oil changes.
Larryjb: The normal things that used to fail were the high pressure parts on the injector pumps. Since using the centrifugal filters, they have had 2 failures in a fleet of 50+ buses. Most motors run 680,000 miles between mechanical repair intervals (excluding belts and exterior compressors, alternators, etc). Most problematic is injector clogs/injector relays. They swear by it and we do not have the salt or rusting down in the south USA. The biggest failure they had was transmissions from stop and go letting kids up and going again. I wish you well Sir!

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bobby, my comment was for consumer level vehicles, like my Tahoe, not situations that you describe where you have fleet vehicles accumulating hundreds of thousands of miles. I guess I didn't make that distinction in my response.

From your information I'd agree that fleets would benefit economically and practically from the centrifugal filter.

brichter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a n00b here.

I spent most of my life working on jets and cars/motorcycles as a career.

Want to get rid of ~80% of lubrication-related wear on your engine? Get an Accu-sump, or some other means of pressurizing the oil system before you start the engine.

Even cheap oil is good nowadays because refining technology has come so far from 50 years ago.

Another thing: high pressure pumps waste energy and cost mpgs and horsepower. Engines are now designed with low pressure high volume systems, with no negative effect on longevity.

Extended interval oil changes are a function of reducing the total cost of ownership of vehicles, and they give an advantage only to the manufacturers. Depending on how you run the engine, change more or less often. Personally, my race car gets changed every 5k on a 6 quart system (10W-60 full synthetic). My tow vehicle gets changed every 10k or when the reminder comes on, but it holds 2.5 gallons of oil (15W-40 Rotella or equivalent).

Use a service like Blackstone to do analysis, and they can tell you whether you can run longer on your oil changes.

:2cents:

brichter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's a bit of insider oil info that will get everybody arguing.

I work for a Nascar team. We test oil in ways that you can't imagine. 9300 rpm, and the ability to cushion parts and prevent wear is more important than any other characteristic. All oil flows fine, cold starts fine, it's what it does to keep metal from rubbing that matters.

We would pay $10,000 per quart if a product helped us win. Price is no object when an engine costs half a million dollars.

We tested many oils, looking for a clear winner. A big takeaway is how great all oil these days performs. Walmart Supertech synthetic for $15 for 5 quarts is terrific stuff. None of us would have an oil related failure, ever, using any modern oil, Syn or dino, if we just change the stuff. These extended intervals, like 15,000 miles on my Mercedes, is a recipe for disaster. Oil is cheap, change it every 5-7,000 miles.

Back to the winner...we tested Amsoil, Royal Purple, Castrol, all of the boutique stuff. They were all good, but not measurably better than Supertech. Marketing and hype sells products on an emotional level.
The best oil with the best performance at any price is Mobile 1 off the shelf at Walmart. It goes into our Toyota engine, and we were the Nascar champs in 2017, second place in 2018 and 2019.

Yup yup yup and yup.:beer: