Motor oil revelations !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ACDelco PF48E filters down to 21 microns, the PF63E to 25-30 microns. The K&N HP-2011 down to 10-12 microns. All at 90%.

The PF48E flows 660 gallons per hour, 792 for the PF63E and 960 for the K&N. It beats WIX and Mobil 1 too.

Does it add up to a hill of beans? Well, I can say that my engine makes more oil pressure with the K&N compared with the PF63E or Mobil M1-212A. So the increased oil pressure AND the nut are what keep me buying them when on sale. They're expensive but that's nothing compared to how much I spend on my women! LOL
probably redesigned thier filters since the last report i read from motor trend. was a while ago but the report put the wix and fram right besides the k&n with i think the napa trailing by a very small margin. most of the rest were in the same ballpark with a few junks.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
The ACDelco PF48E filters down to 21 microns, the PF63E to 25-30 microns. The K&N HP-2011 down to 10-12 microns. All at 90%.

The PF48E flows 660 gallons per hour, 792 for the PF63E and 960 for the K&N. It beats WIX and Mobil 1 too.

Does it add up to a hill of beans? Well, I can say that my engine makes more oil pressure with the K&N compared with the PF63E or Mobil M1-212A. So the increased oil pressure AND the nut are what keep me buying them when on sale. They're expensive but that's nothing compared to how much I spend on my women! LOL

Is the increased pressure applied to the bearings? is pressure measured before the filter or after? How can a filter increase pressure? Ill throw a K&N at it tomorrow without changing the oil cause it only has a couple hundred miles on the "sub standard mobil one 5/30"lol! but i would like to see if i get the same results.

OP
OP
James Ward

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
so how is penzoil superior to mobil one? I cant believe im asking because i dont really want to open this can of worms but ill bite.

And neither do I, but a PH-63 is a AC delco filter and while I am only exposed to current auto news, it does seem like Pennzoil has a better product, even if only marginal. As far as oil filters, I really don't think GM would produce a product like a oil filter that they were going to try to pinch a few pennies, so I am a creature of habit, and even since I was in a Navy CB unit, the mechanics always stuck by their statement, "You can never have too fresh of oil in the engine!" I don't knock down all that many miles on my Tahoe, so in that sense I'm even worse on the oil than say a heavy used driver. I should say that Mobil-1 is still a 'Dexos oil' so GM thinks it's ok, but . . . ? I do wonder about is the Viscosity oil have. Is a 0W/20 oil really necessary ? At 210 degrees or hotter all that good on a super hot summer drive?, is that 20W really all that good or is maybe somethings else better ? Got me guessing ! Oil pressure is the result of the volume of oil the pump puts out. Every rebuilder ( Jasper, powerstroke ect) installs a high volume oil pump as standard policy. I assume GM went with a high volume oil pump for the same reasons, and as a result of the lighter weight oils like the 0W/20 oil.

Last edited:

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
And neither do I, but a PH-63 is a AC delco filter and while I am only exposed to current auto news, it does seem like Pennzoil has a better product, even if only marginal. As far as oil filters, I really don't think GM would produce a product like a oil filter that they were going to try to pinch a few pennies, so I am a creature of habit, and even since I was in a Navy CB unit, the mechanics always stuck by their statement, "You can never have too fresh of oil in the engine!" I don't knock down all that many miles on my Tahoe, so in that sense I'm even worse on the oil than say a heavy used driver. I should say that Mobil-1 is still a 'Dexos oil' so GM thinks it's ok, but . . . ? I do wonder about is the Viscosity oil have. Is a 0W/20 oil really necessary ? At 210 degrees or hotter all that good on a super hot summer drive?, is that 20W really all that good or is maybe somethings else better ? Got me guessing ! Oil pressure is the result of the volume of oil the pump puts out. Every rebuilder ( Jasper, powerstroke ect) installs a high volume oil pump as standard policy. I assume GM went with a high volume oil pump for the same reasons, and as a result of the lighter weight oils like the 0W/20 oil.

i have used mobil one for a long time, i "drank the koolaide" back in my Mercedes Benz days and have never looked back. I will say that i have tried a couple different brands and each one amplified "cold start piston skirt slap" in the denali. My 6.2 has no noticeable skirt slap with mobil one? i think it flows better cold. I did notice on a trip to sedona in august coming home north on 17 it is like a 50 mile climb at 75 mph and my pressure went from normal 40 psi at highway rpm to maybe 36 psi. is the 5/30 oil not up to those extremes? probably, i know in all my MB i ran 0/40, i have never tried it in this vehicle.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would not use E series acdelco they use cardboard

so if you want a cardboard soup in your engine then go for it

I should put one in and have a cardboard soup then GM buys me a new engine for free.. (or it might blow apart from the HIGH pressure )

I can keep putting it in then get unlimited free engines once every 3,000 miles

Last edited:

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Been a Wix Guy for years with the occasional Delco or Fram. Oil wise I used the master parts blend from Bumper to Bumper for years in all our vehicles. The 4.2 L6 in the Envoy did not like the fram filter and threw several cam timing codes before I swapped the filter.

Now with my first AFM motor I am contemplating which full synthetic to run.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have used mobil one for a long time, i "drank the koolaide" back in my Mercedes Benz days and have never looked back. I will say that i have tried a couple different brands and each one amplified "cold start piston skirt slap" in the denali. My 6.2 has no noticeable skirt slap with mobil one? i think it flows better cold. I did notice on a trip to sedona in august coming home north on 17 it is like a 50 mile climb at 75 mph and my pressure went from normal 40 psi at highway rpm to maybe 36 psi. is the 5/30 oil not up to those extremes? probably, i know in all my MB i ran 0/40, i have never tried it in this vehicle.

the mobil1 filters work great no PSI loss or anything like that

1qt of 0w30 and 5qt of 5w30

i changed the oil at 94306.0 and it's at 98090 Still Clean

So clean in fact it can be Recycled into another engine

if I had a second car or something i'd recycle it into another engine That is how confident how clean it is ..

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
the mobil1 filters work great no PSI loss or anything like that

1qt of 0w30 and 5qt of 5w30

i changed the oil at 94306.0 and it's at 98090 Still Clean

So clean in fact it can be Recycled into another engine

if I had a second car or something i'd recycle it into another engine That is how confident how clean it is ..
Please excuse my ignorance but why the 0w30 5w30 mix?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance but why the 0w30 5w30 mix?
My own custom blend. heh..

but the bottom line was the 0w30 mobil1 was on sale at the time
was about $23 (bought it before hand) Way better then spending 7$-10$ for a single qt when i can get 5qt for 23$ which is good for 5 oil changes

these engines require a minimum of 6qts of oil

I did not want to use up(or open ) a 45$ bottle of mobil1 annual protection..(after all the super sized discounts and rebates it was 8$ for 5qt) I went to all the autozones around town even though i hate autozone

and scooped them all up for 20ea and 12$ rebate each I still got 3 5qt bottles left.

the deal exceeded the hate for the item i wanted..

Autozone lost money...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts