Lifter tick help will mmo or motor flush help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Thanks for the update @Trey Hardy Can you refresh my memory on if you are using AFM or have it turned off?
I only have it tuned out through HP tuners
This was the first thing I done when I got it at around 250,000
However I still had two lifters “stick” on me still with it being turned off.
I don’t have the money to rebuild right now and I’d rather swap in a 6.0 if I’m going through all that trouble. One day…

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have it tuned out through HP tuners
This was the first thing I done when I got it at around 250,000
However I still had two lifters “stick” on me still with it being turned off.
I don’t have the money to rebuild right now and I’d rather swap in a 6.0 if I’m going through all that trouble. One day…

since it's turned off in the turn, I think it would be super interesting if you pulled the intake, blocked off the oil supply to the vlom and clipped the gaskets at the ports. just to see if they ever stick again.

also if it's turned off in the tune, the filter under the oil pressure sensor can be tossed.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@j91z28d1 Recently another member installed a standard valley cover on top of AFM lifters and cam. It is unclear if the members motor had AFM turned on in the programming but after he installed the standard valley cover he has problems with his AFM lifters and it is suspected this happened because the AFM oil ports were blocked off.

I think the consensus after that situation was that if you are running AFM lifters it is best to not modify the AFM oil delivery system.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@j91z28d1 Recently another member installed a standard valley cover on top of AFM lifters and cam. It is unclear if the members motor had AFM turned on in the programming but after he installed the standard valley cover he has problems with his AFM lifters and it is suspected this happened because the AFM oil ports were blocked off.

I think the consensus after that situation was that if you are running AFM lifters it is best to not modify the AFM oil delivery system.

I remember it, it was an interesting thread but I feel like he missed a chance to improve the delete long term. the theory is that since oil pressure disengages the lifters, and they stick down. the vlom solenoid vent the oil pressure backinh up thru the port when they are off, then send oil pressure when on to release. so when he put the non vlom top on it, he blocked off the venting, oil pressure builds up and lifter released, probably all 8 but only 1 got stuck.

again in theory, the vlom vent can get clogged up with slug and stuff over time, so since it's turned off anyways, you clip the gasket giving the oil a way to bypass and then you're not relying on the vlom. and since the solenoids can fail and leak on the pressure side as well, you also block off the oil going to them. at that point you've removed everything except the pins in the lifter that keep them from collapsing. if the pins hold and the lifter tray holds up, it again in theory will be as reliable as a non afm lifter, just a bit heavier.

was just thinking since he's got so many miles, has had to unstick a lifter twice, something is releasing the lifter pins, and that once releases they stayed good for a while means to me the pins are in good shape still. be a good candidate to test.

just my thoughts on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz