The DOD tick finally got to me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So after 180,000 of religiously changing my oil at the 50% life marker the lifters are looking like they are going bad and i am sure the camshaft is getting scored.
SO Its time to start looking for a cam and rockers that will be necessary for the DOD delete.
I don't know if I want to keep the truck as stock as it is or go with a mild stage 2 that does not need any major reprogramming and tuning.
So can any of you point me in some directions or threads to see if I can figure out a good build. like for example can I use a corvette/camaro cam with LS7 lifters and springs?
as I look at aftermarket brands, the more I research, the more overwhelmed I get with options.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
So after 180,000 of religiously changing my oil at the 50% life marker the lifters are looking like they are going bad and i am sure the camshaft is getting scored.
SO Its time to start looking for a cam and rockers that will be necessary for the DOD delete.
I don't know if I want to keep the truck as stock as it is or go with a mild stage 2 that does not need any major reprogramming and tuning.
So can any of you point me in some directions or threads to see if I can figure out a good build. like for example can I use a corvette/camaro cam with LS7 lifters and springs?
as I look at aftermarket brands, the more I research, the more overwhelmed I get with options.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Texas speed dod delete kit
ls7 lifters and springs
And their stage 2 truck cam
You’ll be happy with it and it won’t be too too much probably around 1000$ maybe 1500$ if you get arp hardware all new gaskets and pushrods etc

OP
OP
Fernando Escobar
Reaction score
Texas speed dod delete kit
ls7 lifters and springs
And their stage 2 truck cam
You’ll be happy with it and it won’t be too too much probably around 1000$ maybe 1500$ if you get arp hardware all new gaskets and pushrods etc
thanks been looking at their products and it seems like most cams you need to delete VVT. wasnt looking to going that route but i guess I might have too.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's a ton of posts around here about stock cams without afm but with vvt. they are out there.

what's it doing? random tick, constant tick? if it's random, you. right catch when it's not ticking and turn it off in the tune.. you'll need to turn it off in the turn anyways when you swap cams.

OP
OP
Fernando Escobar
Reaction score
At first i thought it was an exhaust tick. Then realized it was probably the lifters. After our annual roadtrip to Mexico (Guadalajara) its gotten worse. And one day i did the remote start and it almost sounded like it was grinding. So its time to get ready for the rebuild. Im on the fence about still about a regular camshaft vs a a stage 1-2. Nothing wrong with a little more umph!
But most kits a see on line have vvt deleted. Good thing i know what I am doing... Except for the tune, i need to outsorce that

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first i thought it was an exhaust tick. Then realized it was probably the lifters. After our annual roadtrip to Mexico (Guadalajara) its gotten worse. And one day i did the remote start and it almost sounded like it was grinding. So its time to get ready for the rebuild. Im on the fence about still about a regular camshaft vs a a stage 1-2. Nothing wrong with a little more umph!
But most kits a see on line have vvt deleted. Good thing i know what I am doing... Except for the tune, i need to outsorce that

The options are almost too many to count. Your first decision is to pick a course of action AND STICK TO IT. Switching up halfway through it often costs a lot more in money, but always in more time.

At 200,000 miles, I set out to delete mine with a stock non-AFM cam. I had all the parts and AFM was already turned off in the tune. It would've been exactly as it was before, but with no AFM and no special tuning needed, costing me about $600 all-in (pre-2020 prices on GM OEM parts). A friend offered me a deal too good to pass on a TSP Stage 2 and I jumped on it. With that brought a couple thousand dollars more in mods to support that cam in all reasonable manners, including a torque converter and custom tune. I have NO regrets and use the hell out of the package. My project starts here. It's a lot but should be very relevant and comprehensive for you.

Decide on what you wanna do and then we can help to narrow down your options. I will say that, since yours has VVT, it must be a 2010+, meaning it'd have the 6L80E. Unless it's been addressed already, I'd strongly suggest factoring an upgraded torque converter into the budget, even if keeping your engine stock, but especially if upgrading the cam.

If you get a SENSIBLE performance cam that deletes VVT and an appropriate converter, you won't sacrifice any low-end.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I just added this post to another thread. It fits just right here too …

You’re overthinking this. Grab an 08+ 6.0 motor from a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. They’re plug n play and only require the existing BCU to be re-tuned so the AFM/DOD is tuned out.

Low price, low effort, increased hp/tq, retains Reg fuel and it’s a factory No AFM/DOD motor dream swap.

OP
OP
Fernando Escobar
Reaction score
The options are almost too many to count. Your first decision is to pick a course of action AND STICK TO IT. Switching up halfway through it often costs a lot more in money, but always in more time.

At 200,000 miles, I set out to delete mine with a stock non-AFM cam. I had all the parts and AFM was already turned off in the tune. It would've been exactly as it was before, but with no AFM and no special tuning needed, costing me about $600 all-in (pre-2020 prices on GM OEM parts). A friend offered me a deal too good to pass on a TSP Stage 2 and I jumped on it. With that brought a couple thousand dollars more in mods to support that cam in all reasonable manners, including a torque converter and custom tune. I have NO regrets and use the hell out of the package. My project starts here. It's a lot but should be very relevant and comprehensive for you.

Decide on what you wanna do and then we can help to narrow down your options. I will say that, since yours has VVT, it must be a 2010+, meaning it'd have the 6L80E. Unless it's been addressed already, I'd strongly suggest factoring an upgraded torque converter into the budget, even if keeping your engine stock, but especially if upgrading the cam.

If you get a SENSIBLE performance cam that deletes VVT and an appropriate converter, you won't sacrifice any low-end.
thanks your post has been a good read so far. I might take some ideas from you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts