The DOD tick finally got to me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first i thought it was an exhaust tick. Then realized it was probably the lifters. After our annual roadtrip to Mexico (Guadalajara) its gotten worse. And one day i did the remote start and it almost sounded like it was grinding. So its time to get ready for the rebuild. Im on the fence about still about a regular camshaft vs a a stage 1-2. Nothing wrong with a little more umph!
But most kits a see on line have vvt deleted. Good thing i know what I am doing... Except for the tune, i need to outsorce that
pulleys can make some weird grinding noses too.. replace them as well

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after 180,000 of religiously changing my oil at the 50% life marker the lifters are looking like they are going bad and i am sure the camshaft is getting scored.
SO Its time to start looking for a cam and rockers that will be necessary for the DOD delete.
I don't know if I want to keep the truck as stock as it is or go with a mild stage 2 that does not need any major reprogramming and tuning.
So can any of you point me in some directions or threads to see if I can figure out a good build. like for example can I use a corvette/camaro cam with LS7 lifters and springs?
as I look at aftermarket brands, the more I research, the more overwhelmed I get with options.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
every how many miles? 5,000 7,000? 10,000

Writefast

Reaction score
At first i thought it was an exhaust tick. Then realized it was probably the lifters. After our annual roadtrip to Mexico (Guadalajara) its gotten worse. And one day i did the remote start and it almost sounded like it was grinding. So its time to get ready for the rebuild. Im on the fence about still about a regular camshaft vs a a stage 1-2. Nothing wrong with a little more umph!
But most kits a see on line have vvt deleted. Good thing i know what I am doing... Except for the tune, i need to outsorce that
What made you think exhaust? My headers have a couple of rusted through bolts. She ticks a bit.

OP
OP
Fernando Escobar
Reaction score
What made you think exhaust? My headers have a couple of rusted through bolts. She ticks a bit.
I had replaced the bolts with studs and the bolt nearest cylinder 7 was broken flush the tick started getting louder at that time which coincided with my oil pan replacement and oil pick up tube o ring

Last edited:

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Texas speed dod delete kit
ls7 lifters and springs
And their stage 2 truck cam
You’ll be happy with it and it won’t be too too much probably around 1000$ maybe 1500$ if you get arp hardware all new gaskets and pushrods etc
How much you chargin for this lol ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar