Occasional light lifter tick starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 XL Denali, 130K miles.

Some history, long-winded but bear with me.

Oil pressure sensor and screen was replaced last year due to cluster gauge going wacky.

I bought this with about 82K miles, maintenance history was good, dealer oil changes every 5-7K.

I changed the oil when I bought it and ran Mobil 1 5W-30 and changed every 5K. At about the 118K-ish mile mark, I would hear a very light, occasional tick when pulling through a drive-thru, and would go away if I raised the RPM slightly.

I figured since this was near the end of the oil change interval, perhaps the oil was thinning, oil pressure on the gauge was just above the 20 PSI mark, idling, hot engine.

So I wanted to try some Redline 5W-30/NAPA Gold filter and that solved the hot, ticking issue, again, this was a random tick and nothing continuous.

Near the end of that oil change interval, which went a little long to about 6K miles, it started ticking again but this time it would be a random tick, like....tick,tick..........tick..........tick, tick, tick.....................tick,....etc. It sounded like the lifter was starting to varnish up and barely hanging up.

I changed that oil with another dose of Redline but had a M1 filter and this time the tick didn't go away at first, took about 500 miles. Then at the end of a 1000 mile road trip, and 2500 miles on this oil, the tick started again but was more consistent, and would go away if I raised the RPM to about 900-1000 RPM.

For the sake of science, I drained that oil and did a 5 quart Valvoline 5W/30 and 1qt MMO treatment, PF-63, then the next day I added 1 can of Liqui-Moly Hydraulic lifter additive.

The oil I drained with 2500 miles, had no metal, no flakes, but a small layer of a velvety-dusty goop and maybe what the last few oil changes was breaking up. Not alot, but maybe a couple finger tip amounts.

I currently have about 100 miles on the cleaning concoction of oil, MMO, Liqui-Moly.

The symptoms seem to be improving slightly. The tick usually doesn't happen until about 20 sec after I start the engine when hot, but sometimes it will happen right away.

If I raise the idle, it tends to stop.

If I shut the engine off and restart, it sometimes takes about 10-15 sec to start up.

I drove home from work, about 30 miles today and it was quiet. I let the engine idle for 20 min and it was quiet. I ran an errand today after it cooled and it came back at idle.

Sometimes it will tick at half cam speed, and stay very consistent.

This is hit or miss, but I have some questions...

Could this possibly be the O-Ring restricting some volume and not pressure? Or does a bad O-ring only drop pressure?

My hot oil pressure reading on the sensor displayed in Torque is 21-23 PSI at a hot idle, oil temps at 200-210 deg,.this is also with a slightly thin oil/MMO mix.

It sounds like it's either cyl 4,6,or 8, hard to tell, but on the pass side.

Engine runs fine, smooth idle and smooth power.

Not an exhaust leak or loosen spark plug wire, it almost sounds like a spark but definitely a lifter....again, high-pitched, light tick.

I'll get some videos posted shortly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This video is with the oil/MMO mix. After driving it, I shut it down then restarted, went over to the pass side wheel well and started the video, so maybe 10 sec elapsed after engine start

This is pretty much the worst it sounds when acting up.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the oil pump o-ring (I lived the same saga with a 2007 Denali). But, since you have the AFM, just make up your mind that you are doing an oil pum o-ring, valley gaskets/VLOM gaskets. Your oil pressure will be fine after that.....

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just make up your mind that you are doing an oil pum o-ring, valley gaskets/VLOM gaskets

So is this not just a pan removal, pick-up tube removal, then O-Ring change? Does the front cover need to be removed?

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my oil pressure reading through two short traffic lights. I tried to vary the RPM a little bit.

Pic of hot idle.

Screenshot_20231026-215111_Gallery.jpg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2012 XL Denali, 130K miles.

Some history, long-winded but bear with me.

Oil pressure sensor and screen was replaced last year due to cluster gauge going wacky.

I bought this with about 82K miles, maintenance history was good, dealer oil changes every 5-7K.

I changed the oil when I bought it and ran Mobil 1 5W-30 and changed every 5K. At about the 118K-ish mile mark, I would hear a very light, occasional tick when pulling through a drive-thru, and would go away if I raised the RPM slightly.

I figured since this was near the end of the oil change interval, perhaps the oil was thinning, oil pressure on the gauge was just above the 20 PSI mark, idling, hot engine.

So I wanted to try some Redline 5W-30/NAPA Gold filter and that solved the hot, ticking issue, again, this was a random tick and nothing continuous.

Near the end of that oil change interval, which went a little long to about 6K miles, it started ticking again but this time it would be a random tick, like....tick,tick..........tick..........tick, tick, tick.....................tick,....etc. It sounded like the lifter was starting to varnish up and barely hanging up.

I changed that oil with another dose of Redline but had a M1 filter and this time the tick didn't go away at first, took about 500 miles. Then at the end of a 1000 mile road trip, and 2500 miles on this oil, the tick started again but was more consistent, and would go away if I raised the RPM to about 900-1000 RPM.

For the sake of science, I drained that oil and did a 5 quart Valvoline 5W/30 and 1qt MMO treatment, PF-63, then the next day I added 1 can of Liqui-Moly Hydraulic lifter additive.

The oil I drained with 2500 miles, had no metal, no flakes, but a small layer of a velvety-dusty goop and maybe what the last few oil changes was breaking up. Not alot, but maybe a couple finger tip amounts.

I currently have about 100 miles on the cleaning concoction of oil, MMO, Liqui-Moly.

The symptoms seem to be improving slightly. The tick usually doesn't happen until about 20 sec after I start the engine when hot, but sometimes it will happen right away.

If I raise the idle, it tends to stop.

If I shut the engine off and restart, it sometimes takes about 10-15 sec to start up.

I drove home from work, about 30 miles today and it was quiet. I let the engine idle for 20 min and it was quiet. I ran an errand today after it cooled and it came back at idle.

Sometimes it will tick at half cam speed, and stay very consistent.

This is hit or miss, but I have some questions...

Could this possibly be the O-Ring restricting some volume and not pressure? Or does a bad O-ring only drop pressure?

My hot oil pressure reading on the sensor displayed in Torque is 21-23 PSI at a hot idle, oil temps at 200-210 deg,.this is also with a slightly thin oil/MMO mix.

It sounds like it's either cyl 4,6,or 8, hard to tell, but on the pass side.

Engine runs fine, smooth idle and smooth power.

Not an exhaust leak or loosen spark plug wire, it almost sounds like a spark but definitely a lifter....again, high-pitched, light tick.

I'll get some videos posted shortly.
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with that hot idle pressure - especially with thinner than normal oil in there. That's about where both of mine sit, too. The sound is likely a lifter that won't keep oil pressure consistently and thus can't maintain lash. There's a pintle valve in each one that can leak down if the spring isn't strong enough to keep it closed fully any more. In any case, my bet is that it's a mechanical problem with the lifter that continued treatments with various chemicals will not resolve. It's not a big deal to leave it as it is, in my view, but the fix will be new lifters. And when that time comes, you might as well do a mechanical AFM delete with new cam, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In any case, my bet is that it's a mechanical problem with the lifter that continued treatments with various chemicals will not resolve
This could be the case, naturally I still want to exhaust a few possibilities before I throw in the towel.

I'm removing the current oil/MMO today and will give Rislone a try with some fresh oil. After that, I will see if I can run some B12 down the pushrod of the trouble lifter.

What has me guessing is possibly the cleaning properties of the Redline may have allowed a small buildup in the tiny oil passage of the lifter. The fact I found a little bit of that fine, velvety dirt in the oil makes me think the 10K miles of Redline over the course of 2 intervals could have been aggressive enough with cleaning.

I'm not knocking Redline, I've used it for years and still will, but my motor could have had some gunk somewhere and not their fault...may not even be related.

This light tap if it were a mechanical problem, wouldn't it happen all the time?

I drove 30 miles home and could hear it halfway home at a red light when next to another vehicle.

When I got home, I shut it off and restarted after about 5 sec, and all was quiet for a good 5 min or more.

:think:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is this not just a pan removal, pick-up tube removal, then O-Ring change? Does the front cover need to be removed?
You can do it with the pan removed, front cover stays on. Very simple once the pan is off.

But, I do agree with what @Geotrash stated. I don't see anything that looked abnormal to me. Mine shows very similar on the dash when warmed up. If it is some varnish buildup, then some MMO or ATF with a couple oil changes may cure it. If it's a mechanical wear issue, then you will need to replace hard parts.

The noise from your 1st video through the wheel well sounds similar to what my daughter's 3.8L did before some MMO. It takes some time for the varnish to dissolve. If it goes away after a short bit, then I'd say try and get some longer drives on it to really move the fluid around.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This light tap if it were a mechanical problem, wouldn't it happen all the time?
Not necessarily. The oiling of a lifter isn't a precisely metered process where exactly 3 ml of oil gets in there every time. Sometimes it might be 2 ml, sometimes it might be 5, depending on many factors, so if the pintle valve isn't sealing right it would lead to inconsistent taps accordingly. That's why I think it's a mechanical problem with the lifter. And again, I see no problem with driving it as it is. It's still just a light tap. You'll know when it's time to get that lifter out of there.

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
Hmm... This is a 'zen and the art of motorcycle maint' moment.. Do you let it go and replace the engine/parts when it tears up or do you fix it now?

If it wasn't such a clean truck, I'd let that sucker tick and smoke until it gave up it's ghost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar