Lifter tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got home from about a 7 hour trip in our 2015 Tahoe and my wife said the car sounded weird. Is this lifter tick?

I have one of the Range devices to keep it from going into 4 cylinder mode, but this sound worries me. My 2010 Avalanche had a stuck lifter a while back and it took me a few weeks of tinkering to finally get it to release.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure. There is extra noise, but it doesn't sound too bad to me. How's the oil level and condition? Maybe put in a quart of ATF or some MMO and give her a good run- let it idle for a bit first and see if anything changes.

It could just be injector noise as well.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure. There is extra noise, but it doesn't sound too bad to me. How's the oil level and condition? Maybe put in a quart of ATF or some MMO and give her a good run- let it idle for a bit first and see if anything changes.

It could just be injector noise as well.
I literally changed the oil right before our trip so it probably has about 800 miles on it. I've put a bottle of Rislone in it before an oil change in the past, but I didn't have time to do that this time since I procrastinated on the oil change. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen to this video in link there is a difference.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen to this video in link there is a difference.
Interesting. You think the sound could be different because he had the engine taken apart and everything was open? I really don't feel like digging that deep into the engine right now. Did that several times on my Avalanche and it ain't fun. What else could make a ticking sound like that?

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From listening to your video the shield is off intake which makes fuel injectors louder which is what I'm hearing and engine seems to idle smoothly.
You can always pull valve covers and check things out. From problems I have seen their is a bent push rod a lot of times.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From listening to your video the shield is off intake which makes fuel injectors louder which is what I'm hearing and engine seems to idle smoothly.
You can always pull valve covers and check things out. From problems I have seen their is a bent push rod a lot of times.
What do you mean by "the shield is off intake?" I don't have anything removed. I simply opened the hood and took a video of the side of the engine I felt like the ticking was coming from.

I'll probably need to pull the valve covers, but damn I don't want to dig into that right now. :)

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I literally changed the oil right before our trip so it probably has about 800 miles on it. I've put a bottle of Rislone in it before an oil change in the past, but I didn't have time to do that this time since I procrastinated on the oil change. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.
My mistake I seen the prongs with ball end sticking up at intake and though it had cover(insulator) over intake.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mistake I seen the prongs with ball end sticking up at intake and though it had cover(insulator) over intake.
Gotcha. I haven't done much work on the Tahoe and saw those the other day when I was changing the oil and had to do a double take too. My Av has a much bigger shield over the engine so my immediate thought was that at some point I took it off and lost it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts