Failing lifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bcbickers

bcbickers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Impatience got the better of me, so I went out at lunch, checked the plugs, and reseated all of the wires (benefit of working from home, and may I say...that #8 plug location suuuucks). Went for a drive and all appeared well....until six or eight minutes later when the oil warmed up and the pressure dropped to around 30 psi. Then the stumble and tick came back. Once I start driving and the oil pressure comes up to 40 psi, the stumble and noise go away. When I stop again and the pressure drops to 25-30, the stumble and tick come back. So, it looks like a bad or going bad lifter.

Anyways, thanks to all of you for your help, input, and advice. :)

Now I need to figure out next steps. Do I delete the AFM and cam the 5.3 or swap in a L96 6.0L? Decisions, decisions...

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impatience got the better of me, so I went out at lunch, checked the plugs, and reseated all of the wires (benefit of working from home, and may I say...that #8 plug location suuuucks). Went for a drive and all appeared well....until six or eight minutes later when the oil warmed up and the pressure dropped to around 30 psi. Then the stumble and tick came back. Once I start driving and the oil pressure comes up to 40 psi, the stumble and noise go away. When I stop again and the pressure drops to 25-30, the stumble and tick come back. So, it looks like a bad or going bad lifter.

Now I need to figure out next steps. Do I delete the AFM and cam the 5.3 or swap in a L96 6.0L? Decisions, decisions...
Very exspensive questions hahaha

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wires I got from Rock Auto don't have the metal shields and springs. They are just a standard rubber boot. See the pic below. I will definitely recheck all of the plugs and wires this afternoon. Worth the effort before I rebuild the engine.

View attachment 416983

Ah. Some part numbers for OE wires come with new shields. You're supposed to transfer your originals over. Not a big deal to run without 'em.

I don't think it is gas related because I filled up at a couple of different locations in different cities this past weekend. I drove to my family's ranch on Saturday (350 mile round trip), and it started acting up on that trip. Gas mileage was 14 mpg mostly 90% freeway running 70-75 mph.

Dammit. Well, there goes one easy fix.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oof. Yeah, this sounds like a valvetrain issue now. IMO, if you're wanting a 6.0, start looking around. Houston is a strong market for engines of all types. You can swap it in and flash the appropriate tune and be done in a weekend. Replace that torque converter with an upgraded one while you have the engine out.

Or, you can cam the 5.3 and have the same or more power than the 6.0. You'd have to be wise with your cam choice, though. For a Z71 that might do offroad ranch duties, I'd go with the 6.0 and a torquey cam.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not for us! It's easy to spend OPM.
Facts. I'm doing a projector retrofit because i hate halogen lights. Why they put halogen lights in 50k+ suv when new is beyond me. My 2009 lexus has hids and this 2013 doesn't.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... need to figure out next steps.
Do I delete the AFM and cam the 5.3L ...
... or swap in a 6.0L L96?
Decisions, decisions ...
Best bang-for-the-buck: 6.0L L96.
Although I suppose it would depend on what kind of cam you decide on for the 5.3L?
Keep in mind that nearly all of our engines spend nearly all of their lifetimes UNDER 2500RpM; that's where I'd want more oumpf.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best bang-for-the-buck: 6.0L L96.
Although I suppose it would depend on what kind of cam you decide on for the 5.3L?
Keep in mind that nearly all of our engines spend nearly all of their lifetimes UNDER 2500RpM; that's where I'd want more oumpf.
Powertrain tv did a great budget 5.3 build

dkmoneypit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I got a set of AC Delco wires for my 09 Yukon and 1 of the wires was bad. Decided to do a resistance test before I got to #8 cylinder and found a bad wire. Purchased from the AC Delco store on Amazon. Check your new parts if you can.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts