The DOD tick finally got to me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fernando Escobar
Reaction score
hey guys I know somewhere on this thread someone recommended me to change the torque converter. Is a 6l90 torque converter good for this application? They seem to be cheaper than the stock 6L80 reman units everywhere I look at.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys I know somewhere on this thread someone recommended me to change the torque converter. Is a 6l90 torque converter good for this application? They seem to be cheaper than the stock 6L80 reman units everywhere I look at.
You can run the 6L90 converter, no problem. You'll just use 3 instead of 6 flex plate bolts. If you do, might be worth having a tuner tune out the factory slip.

OP
OP
Fernando Escobar
Reaction score
You can run the 6L90 converter, no problem. You'll just use 3 instead of 6 flex plate bolts. If you do, might be worth having a tuner tune out the factory slip.
My OEM had three bolts on the flex plate so its all good then ohhhh
I miss understood you but i get what you are saying now just use the on the three pertaining holes

OP
OP
Fernando Escobar
Reaction score
Hey guys, how’s it going update on my engine rebuild I am down to checking pushrod lengths and the measurements, assuming I’m at top dead center my pushrod length is 7.37 the kit I purchased had 7.40 length pushrods. This truck engine is not gonna be race engine or a high reving. Should I call the place and see if I can swap out the pushrods or just send it???

Attachments

• IMG_7313.jpeg
    IMG_7313.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7319.jpeg
    IMG_7319.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7343.jpeg
    IMG_7343.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7352.jpeg
    IMG_7352.jpeg
    376.3 KB · Views: 2

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

it kinda depends on the preload your lifters like if you want it correct. but in general, no one really does this stuff. ls rockers just bolt down. everyone I know that's ever done a ls cam just throws 7.400 in them and sends it.

OP
OP
Fernando Escobar
Reaction score

it kinda depends on the preload your lifters like if you want it correct. but in general, no one really does this stuff. ls rockers just bolt down. everyone I know that's ever done a ls cam just throws 7.400 in them and sends it.
there was no preload when I measured. There was no lash only if i lifted the rocker arm with force then the pushrod would actually plunge

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there was no preload when I measured. There was no lash only if i lifted the rocker arm with force then the pushrod would actually plunge

hydraulic lifters when pumped up with oil can be very very hard to push down making it eaiser to measure. dry ones push down pretty easily. all this is much eaiser in a sbc since you can spin the rod with your fingers while tightening it down so you can feel zero lash.

my take is you want to measuring for zero lash and then do the math to add extra length your style of lifter wants for preload. like if I remember right the Johnsons want less than the z06 lifters. and there's also zo6 style lifters and actual zo6 lifters. the 2 get confused.

so try to find out what lifter you have and do the math. if you are sure you have zero lash with what you have. you should probably order a longer rod to set the preload.

OP
OP
Fernando Escobar
Reaction score
hydraulic lifters when pumped up with oil can be very very hard to push down making it eaiser to measure. dry ones push down pretty easily. all this is much eaiser in a sbc since you can spin the rod with your fingers while tightening it down so you can feel zero lash.

my take is you want to measuring for zero lash and then do the math to add extra length your style of lifter wants for preload. like if I remember right the Johnsons want less than the z06 lifters. and there's also zo6 style lifters and actual zo6 lifters. the 2 get confused.

so try to find out what lifter you have and do the math. if you are sure you have zero lash with what you have. you should probably order a longer rod to set the preload.
Yeah saw the video and ibguess i did it right lol.
The lifter is the standard ls7
The tool is 6.8
The per load is .05 right
And the tool was 10.5 turns.
So 6.8
+ 5.25
+. .05 preload
= 7.375

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, how’s it going update on my engine rebuild I am down to checking pushrod lengths and the measurements, assuming I’m at top dead center my pushrod length is 7.37 the kit I purchased had 7.40 length pushrods. This truck engine is not gonna be race engine or a high reving. Should I call the place and see if I can swap out the pushrods or just send it???
Good job on doing the measurement work. I had measurements similar to yours when I did my cam swap but used Chevrolet Performance LS7 lifters, which are pretty forgiving. I agonized over using slightly shorter pushrods, like you, but ended up going with 7.400 anyway. 30K miles later and all is well and quiet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019