iPod integration Review: iSimple aka PXAMG (GM5) for the 03+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the PXAMG you can also chose whether or not you want to control from the ipod or the radio. There is an aux also that comes with the PXAMG so you can plug anything in that has a headphone port. That connection is AUX2, if you switch to AUX 1 you get control of your iPod, switch to iPod and the radio controls it.
That thing you mention about the first song in the folder playing doesn't happen with the PXAMG you can scroll around while another song is playing and it will switch just when you chose it.

If you want to switch i'll give you a good deal on a brand new in the package PXAMG with wiring harness. Here is the thread http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20040
I had one in my yukon for a while and the first time i tried to use the AUX cable it was staticy and would cut in and out as i moved it around. I sent the entire unit back and they sent me a whole new unit with the correct wiring harness and i no longer need it.

i use an ipod touch.

just to clarify, when hooked up to the pxamg with ipod, you cannot access the music library on the ipod itself, it can only be controlled thru the radio?

also, when navigating thru menu's to change artists or songs, the current track continues playing until the new track is selected, correct?

reason why i'm wondering this is because i installed a usa spec pa15-gm. it works great, but when scrolling thru artists or albums thru the radio, it begins to play the first song in the folder. like if i'm scrolling from As I Lay Dying to Metallica, it starts to play the first track in the Bad Company folder, CCR folder, Dethklok folder, etc etc until I stop turning the wheel when I get to where I want to be.

BUT, what i think is better, is that I can switch to "direct" mode and navigate thru the ipod's menu itself which is much quicker than going thru the head unit.

i think that both unts, pxamg and pa15-gm do just about the same thing, but both have their annoyances...

if the pxamg allows access to the ipod's library on the ipod it self while connected, i think i'm gonna switch to the pxamg. that way i can have better interface thru radio and be able to use the ipod menu itself.

mech5700

Reaction score
I called PAC tech support today and they told me the same thing you did about switching menus without losing the current song so I went ahead and got the ISGM575 from Cartoys for $169 and put it in. Navigating thru radio to control ipod is WAAAAAY more refined and easier than doing so with the USA Spec PA15-GM. Only thing I dont like is having to hit Band 5 times to get back to the XM channel to switch to AUX1 to switch to using the ipod controls. Whereas the USA Spec, all I had to do was hit preset 5 to go to direct control of ipod. The USA Spec is also a metal box and seemed to have a little bit more quality with the connectors, PXAMG is plastic and I thought the connectors were just a tad on the chinese side. Oh well, the PXAMG is close enough to bein perfect.

On a side note, anyone hear just a teeny tiny bit of alternator whine when either paused or on AUX2 with nothing connected? I hear just a little bit, called tech support and they said take it back and switch it out, if still there it has to do with my truck.

The best thing about all this trouble is that after I removed the USA spec module to return it (which connects into the XM module instead of the back of the radio) I now have a fully functioning, all channels available, XM radio (which I never ever subscribed for). No idea how the hell that worked but hey, can't complain.

And for jmyler, thank you for your offer, but I just decided it's be worth it to just buy it local and have warranty and the ability to return it for whatever reason...

Last edited:

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I'm glad you mentioned the XM thing I tried mine out this morning and sure enough I have free XM too! Score!

mech5700

Reaction score
Wow I'm glad you mentioned the XM thing I tried mine out this morning and sure enough I have free XM too! Score!

LOL wow I wonder why it does that? I lost my XM today tho.... someone on here musta ratted me out! lol jk...

But anyways, yeah PXAMG all the way. CD player took a dump n this is by far the best option to go with besides puttin an assload of cash into a new HU and all...

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well guys it has been a while, but a small update.

i havent even been IN the tahoe for a year now, nor do I have an ipod (it got lost, then found, then apparently stolen or lost again) anymore, though the kids now do. Priorities, you know!

However, my ex reports that PXAMG doesn't recognize the IPOD port anymore for the last few months on the head unit.
since she never allowed me to get her the $35 ios4 update chip, she was using the aux 2 headphone jack for the iphone anyway.
If I am ever allowed to work on the thing again, (ie she gets frustrated enough to let me take it apart) I will try resetting the module and see if that corrects the non-detection issue.

Sorry to not have completed the Ios4 update for you guys as i intended, but if she wasnt going to let me install it, why buy it? Lol :)

scribble

Reaction score
The one question I see no one has asked and I am guessing because they aren't using on is.

What is the lag on start up with the ipod and also when changing songs or playlists.

I ask as I have had several different HU with iPod adapters but got tired of waiting for them to get everything running every time I started the truck. I might be alone in this problem as I run a 120gig classic with all my music on and I also have a Nano 4g for quick setup or workouts.

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3-5 seconds tops

btw, i finally got the chance to unplug the pxamg on mother's day, and that fixed the issue with non-detection. so it is as good as ever.
saw on the 4th ex had her nano back in the tahoe again and is happy with it again.

scribble

Reaction score
Have you ever had problems were it would not play the Ipod again after restarting the truck until you unplugged the ipod and plug it back in.
I am using a Classic 160gb 5TH GEN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia