iPod integration Review: iSimple aka PXAMG (GM5) for the 03+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: 8/9/10
I have read that the newest batch of PXAMGs now include the IOS4 jumper board installed. If you are looking to purchase an Ipod solution, this is IMO the best device on the market.
I only wish it had scrolling text.

If yours is more than a month or two old...

Unfortunately, the without the ios4 authentication board, a PXAMG connected to *any* device running iOS4, continuously produces the dreaded "accessory not supported" error until it's disconnected.

So... don't update to OS4 until the fix is procured.
You have to purchase an authentication jumper from PAC
Info:
http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=276&CategoryID=36
Jumper:
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1003&CategoryID=22
Install video
[yt]9uo_YNlrfW4[/yt]

This is a review of the PXAMG Media Gateway, aka iSimple Media Gateway

COST: ~$150
RETAIL SOURCE ~ Best Buy and others.
Install difficulty: 2 wrench
(no special tools or knowledge required, some disassembly required)
Tools required: 7mm socket for OEM radio removal

Generic picture:
pxamg_pghgm2.jpg

My Ranking:

Ease of install: 5 stars
Ease of use: 4.8 stars
Full functionality of ipod and iphone: 4.7 stars
Audio Quality: 5 stars

Common Questions:

Compatible with Touch screen NAV (TNR)? YES
Compatible with non touchscreen nav (INR)? YES
Compatible with 6-disc radio? YES
Compatible with Rear Audio? YES (limited- see notes)
Compatible with Steering Wheel Controls? YES
Compatible with OEM XM? YES
Requires OEM XM to work? NO - just has to be xm compatible
Support for SIRIUS? YES - replace AUXIN w/ Sirius SCC1 Tuner + PXAMGSR cable
HD Radio Support? YES Optional module replaces AUX-IN - not tested
Software Upgradeable by end user? YES
Charging Support for Iphone 3g, Touch 2g, and 4g/5g Nano? YES
Support included if recently purchased, new cable available ($20?) to retrofit older models

PLAYLIST LIMITATIONS? NO -UNLIMITED playlists and quantity possible
DISPLAY TYPE? SINGLE TEXT LINE
PAUSES ON KEY/RADIO OFF? YES
LAST TRACK/PLAYLIST MEMORY? YES
FAST FORWARD AND REWIND? YES - But not usefully so.

Install review/tips:

PXAMG (gm5)
I literally installed mine while parked on a sidestreet waiting for my son to get out of school. install time was about 20-30 minutes.
Requires a 7mm socket for OEM radio removal. It helps to have a pick tool if running the cable out of the center console somewhere.

Included in the package are two (2) Fully Plug N Play (PnP) adapters, the GM5 (ours) and the later 07+ adapter harness. Make sure you use the correct one.

Both are true plug n play, the adapter harness goes in between the existing connector and the radio. This means no soldering or scotch-locking wires as with some earlier adapters.

WARNING: PLEASE READ THE DIRECTIONS! THE IPOD CABLE GOES TO A SPECIFIC CONNECTOR.

Tip: I put the bubble wrap back on the module after plugging in the adapter harness, the ipod cable and the aux in cable (terminates in both mini-headphone jack + rca).
I then tucked the module away in the upper left corner of the radio bay, towards and above the gauge cluster. I have experienced no rattles and no 'overheating' of the module.

HOW TO USE: (6 disc - no xm)

Basically you use the band button to shuffle thru radio bands and you will find IPOD appears on screen. You use a combo of the rotary selector to scroll thru slections, preset 3 as the "yes" or "enter" button, and 4 as the "menu" button, while skip forward and back change tracks like a cd.

Example:

I want to listen to a Song by the Band LUSH on my ipod but am listening to CD

BAND (repeat until ipod appears)

(selector -> ipd1)
wait ~1 second, barely audible click as engages and syncs devices

4 ( to access ipod menu)

selector -> artist (or playlist)

3 (enter)

selector -> Lush

3 (enter)

selector -> ALBM: ALL (or ALBM: Ciao)

3 (enter)

selector -> TRK:ALL (or TRK: For Love)

3 (enter)
track begins playing.

Push the button in the middle of the rotary selector to view artist name, song etc while playing.

It sounds complex in writing, but is no different than drilling down thru the menus on a regular ipod to get to a specific song.

Since it has unlimited playlist support, I generally set up playlists by band or category (90's hits A-B, 80's top 100, Jamiroquai, Rap OG, etc) with 50-60 songs, then choose artist: all and album: all

It does remember what song you were on IF YOUR IPOD IS NOT PLAYING SOMETHING WHEN YOU PLUG IT BACK INTO THE VEHICLE... if you are it continues playing what you were listening to.

REAR AUDIO SUPPORTED (sort of)

And I just discovered yesterday that I CAN access the ipod/aux in on the headphone jacks in the rear.

I was playing around today with my 3 year old, who is a BIG fan of 'Boom Boom POW" by B.E.P., and had two sets of head phones on hand... long story short as I was changing rear modes to turn the CD on for him while I listened to ipod up front, I stumbled across the Ipod audio on the headsets, though the REAR display still showed the last radio station tuned.

ie 104.3 came up TWICE, once with Ipod audio and Ipod skip forward/back control, and once as Fm radio.

it shows up as a radio station but the audio IS Ipod or aux (which ever the head unit left it on).

USER NOTES:
You can not Use Aux in the rear and Ipod up front simultaneously.

You can not select playlists etc from the rear controls, but the main radio can set them for the rear passenger, exit ipod mode, and then rear passengers can skip tracks within a playlist themselves.

You can still use the iPhone for apps, calls, etc. it only locks out the 'iPod' app on the phone. However, audio on other apps and the ringer will mute the ipod music.

MY THOUGHTS ON ACCESSORY MODULES FOR SIRIUS AND HD RADIO:

You can Add either HD radio, OR Sirius to the OEM radio with additional modules, but not both at once. they both have text support so you get artist title etc.

EITHER MODULE requires giving up the aux-in.

I have not tested ether one, so i have no idea how/if they would show up on the rear controls, My guess is the same as the ipod, no display W/ skip ahead tuning.

HD radio is a separate tuner, and thus you have to relocate the OEM antenna to it, which means you lose the regular FM radio for for the main radio and rear passengers... unless you install a second Antenna to keep normal FM working.

Last edited:

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some more thoughts.

As mentioned on another thread. You have th option of either adding another ipod cable and using the AUX option on the adaptor or adding any other device with a 3.5minijack out. You'll have to control the device using its own menu but once your in a playlist you can still use the steering wheel fwd/back controls . I actually prefer this method as I am not a big fan of using the headunit controls. Plus, if you are using an iPhone in a 3G network, you can listen to either Pandora Radio or Sirius XM via the phone. Awesome!

Eagle, I was thinking....How about a sepeate line from the adaptor to the 3.5 jack? Would it play loud enough to be a handsfree device? It does not work well through the dock connector on Aux mode but perhaps through the jack. I am thinking about giving it a try.

BB

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used my PXAMG as a 'handsfree' device in the truck with the 3.5mm jack plugged into my iPhone 3G.
IIRC, you have to unplug it though to get audio out of the 30 pin connector, so I quit doing that.

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used my PXAMG as a 'handsfree' device in the truck with the 3.5mm jack plugged into my iPhone 3G.
IIRC, you have to unplug it though to get audio out of the 30 pin connector, so I quit doing that.

Yeah it kind of adds a few unnecessary steps. Was it loud enough? The prob that I have with the dock connector and set to Aux1 function is that I can barely hear the voice of the phone call and the music still plays out of the iPhone! They can hear me but I cannot hear them.

I am still hoping to afford a HU with streaming Bluetooth for both phone calls and music. Someday...

BB

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it was absolutely loud enough. the music pauses/stops when I get a call while connected either way.

Teqdogg

Reaction score
To remove the head unit on these, do you need to remove part of the dash? I am trying to find an install write-up, but am having no luck. Trying to figure out where the 7mm screws are located

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You pull the entire dash bezel off with the trans lever in "1",

then the bolts are what hold the head unit in and are readily visible.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got this same thing a couple months ago from a member and i love using mine. Very easy install and easy to use, once you figure out what button does what. But very easy.. XM, Radio, CD, IPOD, cant ever say nothing to listen to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21