Odd Bose radio issues. No sound when cold. Randomly powers off for a few seconds. Occasional theftlock briefly then works fine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys have more patience than me. I would've ripped it out and set it on fire by now

OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_1018.jpegIMG_1019.jpegIMG_1020.jpegIMG_1021.jpegIMG_1022.jpeg
Disassembled it and the main board looks fine. I know late 90s and early 2000’s were known to have solider failures due to switching to lead free solider. Anywho it’s not to bad to disassemble just wish I found an obvious issue or knew where to look lol

OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled oem radio and will keep in house warm while rest of the burb is cold overnight
40F degrees this am. Kept radio in house. Hooked up in cold suburban and works just fine so it’s definitely the radio acting up when it gets cold. Rules out the Bose amp under the console or anything else.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since its out i would hit the larger solder joints with an iron. That ROHS stuff is hard to work with.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since its out i would hit the larger solder joints with an iron. That ROHS stuff is hard to work with.

^^^ This. With a magnifying glass I would inspect every possible solder joint on the underside of the board, looking for cracked or weak solder joints and reflowing any suspect ones. Use leaded solder.

You could also reinstall the warm, working radio without the case panels and use an inverted can of "air" to chill components one by one as it's playing sound to see when it quits. That might help you pinpoint the culprit.

OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This summer I reflowed all the large soldier joints and where all the pins connect to the board. I’m amateur at best. I just held my soldering iron on the joint until it liquified then moved on to the next.

Only other thing I’m capable of is busting out the heat gun and trying to evenly heat the board up to 300F?

Although I may kill it since it’s easy to overheat a part and fry a chip.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen youtube videos about people just putting the devices/boards/whatever in a oven at a certain temp for a certain amount of time, and it does all the joints. I have not done it thou.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This summer I reflowed all the large soldier joints and where all the pins connect to the board. I’m amateur at best. I just held my soldering iron on the joint until it liquified then moved on to the next.

Only other thing I’m capable of is busting out the heat gun and trying to evenly heat the board up to 300F?

Although I may kill it since it’s easy to overheat a part and fry a chip.
That should be all you need to do for cold soldier joints. Capacitors are the next mostly to fail item, but I don't know if they are heat sensitive. From your pictures they look ok. But I am using my phone to view them.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The surface mount capacitors are the ones that benefit from time in the oven. Please don't do this on my word. I'm just an A-hole who likes to drink beer and type smart on my phone. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts