Odd Bose radio issues. No sound when cold. Randomly powers off for a few seconds. Occasional theftlock briefly then works fine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macks2DrTahoe

Reaction score
Wow looks like you are having fun doing some great troubleshooting. I still recommend going with a nice upgraded touch screen audio system. With your apparent technical capability you could go simple and just replace the head unit (HU) (cost from about $125 and up) or go for a full replacement (HU, speakers, amp(s) and wiring). Google '2003 suburban aftermarket radio images' to see what it can look like. Plenty of help on the forum but from reading your posts I don't think you need it. Great pics

OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow looks like you are having fun doing some great troubleshooting. I still recommend going with a nice upgraded touch screen audio system. With your apparent technical capability you could go simple and just replace the head unit (HU) (cost from about $125 and up) or go for a full replacement (HU, speakers, amp(s) and wiring). Google '2003 suburban aftermarket radio images' to see what it can look like. Plenty of help on the forum but from reading your posts I don't think you need it. Great pics
Yeah it’s starting to piss me off now. Got a random locked message yesterday, cycled key and it’s back to normal.

Ugg, I may tear the damn thing down one last time so it’s just the main board in the metal shell, I can get it stripped down but can’t really remove it from the metal box shell. Bust out the heat gun and warm up the board until I see solider liquify. Apparently 222C aka 430F is the magic temperature.

I’ll either fix it or kill it!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am no rocket scientist but I have seen these coil/transformer/choke things be a issue before, I would inspect it real good and maybe try to reflow the legs on the board, they change temperature while they are on so if there was anything prone to getting a poor connection when cold this might be it.
look at it up close with a magnifying glass on all sides and feel it to see if it is loose at all, look under the board where it sits also
choke.JPGchoke1.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting pretty good pulling this out of the dash and removing the guts to get to the main board.

I got the main and small power board HOT. Like Brooke shields 1980s hot.

I used my heat gun on medium - high heat. 600F to 800F on medium low fan and went as evenly around bottom of board until my infrared temp gun read 380 - 420F I then flipped the board over and heated the top to same temp. I had to be careful with the fan speed because it would blow over the small brown capacitors. I didn’t see the solder liquefy but I figured high 300s low 400s should be hot enough to fix any joints that don’t function when cold.

I let the whole thing cool down 10 minutes, reassembled and the good news is it still works.

I’ll have to wait for another cold morning to see if I actually fixed no sound when cold

IMG_1306.jpegIMG_1304.jpegIMG_1303.jpegIMG_1302.jpegIMG_1305.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had a few 30F mornings and radio has been working fine. Calling it fixed!

Still have some odd issues like the radio will just randomly reboot. I'll be listening to radio and it just powers off then comes back on.

Still get these codes (probably due to the random radio power cycle)
U1000 Class 2 Data Link Malfuction
U1167 Lost communications with Rear Seat Audio/Rear HVAC

OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I performed the reheat Hail Mary on the rear seat audio circuit boards as well. I only heated up the bottom of the boards not the front. Didn’t want to melt the RSA display. Got both boards to 380F - 420F.

Rear seat audio has always worked, but thought it would get rid of the RSA disconnect code, but no change guessing this code is coming up because the dash radio randomly loses power reboots once in a while.

IMG_1321.jpegIMG_1318.jpegIMG_1320.jpegIMG_1317.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20F this am and no sound no chimes but radio powers on and can change stations. Back to its old problems.

Oh well.

Sandaman

Reaction score
20F this am and no sound no chimes but radio powers on and can change stations. Back to its old problems.

Oh well.
Having similar issues and I live in the middle east.

Nothing works as there is no audio from the radio, even though i replaced amp and radio. Worked for a while then sub stopped working, then completely stopped working (after i left the battery off for a bit). all i hear is low static like a thud noise once instead of chimes when i open the door.

Also recently the driver door controls stopped working for a while then worked when I turned off and on again. Now recently started getting service airbag light. I just bought it recently and already spent too much in repairs (brake booster, used transfer-case, 1 ball joint plus a lower arm, rod ends and the joints and some bushes). service 4WD showing up now and then when hot i think as it goes away after ive switched off the vehicle for a bit. Think i got scammed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn