Engine knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely looks like engine time, sorry.
When I had my shop I was a Jasper installer and had great success with them. I haven't been in business for some time but the salesman lives near me and we stay in touch and it seems they are still the quality product they were back then. You can contact them directly and they will sell to you or direct you to a selling dealer.

OP
OP
east302

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The previous owner put a Jasper in my Tahoe years ago, it has maybe 50k on it and has been just fine.

Considering whether to sell it as-is or do the swap myself. Has anyone pulled a 350 in a garage with an 8-ft ceiling height? I guess it’ll depend on the hoist dimensions plus chain and leveler, but I’d need to come over the fender instead of the front. I’d pull the tires and leave the transmission in.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never pulled over the fender. I have pulled them without taking the hood off with no problem, I put a piece of plywood in front of the radiator to protect it. Going in a little grease on the motor mounts helps and I try to keep the trans a little high, drop the motor on the points and then just go under and the trans can be moved a little to line up.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little tip for lining up the trans with the engine: I keep a factory scissor jack (Chrysler, I think) in my tool arsenal because it has a flat jack plate. When you're under the car, you can easily fine-tune the trans and/or engine angles up or down with a twist of the jack. It's much more maneuverable and compact than a floor jack and lowering is easier than twisting open a hydraulic valve and hoping you don't crack it too much.

I scored my scissor jack from the side of I-49. They're one of the items I see regularly on the side of the highways.

OP
OP
east302

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. For this one, I think we’re just going to cut bait and try to sell it. He needs something more practical to take to college this fall (i.e, something newer and in better condition that I won’t get calls about and have to try to “fix” over the phone on a Monday morning).

If it was my Tahoe or other 98, I’d drop a GM crate engine in at my leisure. It’d probably be fun to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC