Engine knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
east302

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Pulled all plug wires with no change in the noise. All plugs are torqued to spec and boots are on good at both ends. I meant to swap the plug and wires from #2 to another but got sidetracked. Will keep that misfire on the list as well as the heavier oil.

Checking again, it’s definitely loudest coming from the bellhousing with the inspection cover held back. I’ve read of cracked flex plates at the bolts…maybe that’s the culprit? I couldn’t see anything from my limited view, but believe those cracks may not be visible without sliding the transmission back?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I almost said that earlier but it just was too rhythmic and did not sound like that but hell, anything is possible. You can see without pulling transmission back. Remove the inspection shield. Get a flashlight that is bright. The crack could be anywhere in the circle. You may have to inch around that plate with the teeth. Look for a discolored/dark/black looking crack radiating out from the center and typically from an attaching bolt area. May be able to see clearly by using a small mirror, like dental mirror size or even the bigger ones if can get in there.

OP
OP
east302

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roger that, will take a better look tomorrow and get the whole cover off - it looked like the starter may need to come out so I didn’t get very far with it.

I do have a camera similar to that…never would have thought to use it, that’s a good idea.

OP
OP
east302

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the flex plate was inconclusive, I just couldn’t see the area inside the bolt circle. Since the noise is rhythmic and only when warm, I’m thinking it may be a red herring but it sure seems louder right there around the end of the oil pan at the bellhousing. Hell, I don’t know, it’s just kind of “there” and everywhere, lol.

Using a timing light, I get one knock per flash which (per GM) should point to the valve train.

165D0928-094B-4425-B964-63A7722B1DE4.jpeg

Pulled the right valve cover and watched the rockers. I’m not exactly sure what a collapsed lifter would look like, but they all seemed to move identically. The noise didn’t seem to be focused on any of them in particular. Is there a way to tighten/loosen the rocket nuts to verify if it is actually lifter issue?

Using a different stethoscope probe (a rod instead of the plastic cone), the #6 and #8 areas of the valve cover have more of a bell-like ringing or higher pitched metallic ping than the others. I need to compare it with my other 98s and see how they sound but called it a night instead.

Different oil is next, I suppose.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have the valve covers off at the same time, that would be a great time to watch the rockers and push rods at cranking speed instead of running speed. You can also lay your finger tips on the various parts to "feel" the noise.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From sound in video and descriptions, I think all you can do is feed it heavy oil till it blows. Think you have bent rod and it will get worse fast. Will be 5-8 cyl 9 of 10 times.
There are still a few under /around 100k L31 near me in the yards for 500 or so last time I looked. I aleays look for bad trans which usually means good engine. I don't like crash cars unless very fresh. Good Luck.

OP
OP
east302

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small update. Changed the oil to 15W40 and noticed a bit of “fuzz” on the oil drain plug magnet. Ran it for probably an hour over the last few days with no change in the noise.

Pulled the filter (Mobil) which had 230 miles on it and poured some in a bowl.

00D2637D-14B6-4EFE-81B5-271966504B1E.jpeg

Cut the filter open and do have metallic dust in the pleats (upstream face). None are magnetic and you have to hit the light just right to see it. The largest piece is this one on Abe’s chin, the majority are the size of the two pieces to the right above 2022.

3BFE397A-D4A0-4C9D-95BB-734366325FC8.jpeg

Would a compression test be academic at this point or what do y’all think?

To recap- the tapping doesn’t change when the plug wires are pulled one at a time. Using a stethoscope, tapping is loudest at the back of the engine in the oil pan near the bellhousing. The #7 and 8 lifters really ping with the rest just being “less” loud as you go forward. My other two 350s are sewing machines in comparison.

Just in case anyone is curious, the GM dealer here quoted me a smidge over $8,000 for a new 350. Local shop that I trust said around $7500 and no longer installs remans like Jasper and ATK - too much trouble to fool with, they said.

Local junkyard 350s range from $1000 with 200k miles up to $2000 with 126k on the engine.