Does any use a Fumoto oil pan drain valve?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting design. I can see it in some applications. On others, no. I like the Fumoto for it's ability to immediately stop the flow with a flick of the lever. On my truck for example, I use one gallon jugs. I'd be leary of twisting the hose/connector to stop it quickly.
I fill my Blackstone Labs oil analysis containers precisely. It flows pretty slow, it’s easy to control. Just unscrew a little bit and it closes. A gallon jug would be easy but I’m not gonna lay there and wait to fill a jug. That’s why I use a drain pan and just leave it draining after I get the sample. I come back in a half hour or so. It’s easy to put it into gallon jugs from the drain pan.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used a similar one for years. I pop the hose onto mine that starts the drain process and poke the filter with an awl and walk away for awhile. When I come back, both the block and filter are both drained with no mess.
Damn I can live with the drain plug the way it is, but stabbing the filter prior to removal is something I didn’t think about…. I’ll have to try and remember that next oil change. Filter removal is the worst part.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we have these on a few older equipment at work, as said they work fine and never seen one leak. but honestly they are only on the equipment you can't get a pan under or on a lift. so they all have a hose that run to a drain area. very useful but not something I'd put on my own car. after years of maintenance jobs, a few drops of oil here and there I don't even think about haha.

we do pop a hole in the bottom of a few of the filters thou, these are big like 3qt filters and they gotta turn side ways to get around stuff. so that's worth doing forsure on the filter.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fill my Blackstone Labs oil analysis containers precisely. It flows pretty slow, it’s easy to control. Just unscrew a little bit and it closes. A gallon jug would be easy but I’m not gonna lay there and wait to fill a jug. That’s why I use a drain pan and just leave it draining after I get the sample. I come back in a half hour or so. It’s easy to put it into gallon jugs from the drain pan.
Drain it into a DEF jug... why transfer oil twice?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drain it into a DEF jug... why transfer oil twice?
It’s easier for me. For one, I don’t use DEF, I use gallon milk jugs. An oil change doesn’t fit into one gallon, it’s 5 quarts. Plus the oil from the filter drains into the same drain pan after I poke it with an awl a few times, and when I unscrew it more drips out, into the pan. I got it down, believe me. We all have our own way. I’m 63 years old, I know what works for me. ;)

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My wife's Subaru is a super easy filter change, but the drain plug was super messy. So that was my first Fumoto valve install and I was hooked. I have them on the Suburban, Subaru, Jeep. I'll have to try Rocket Man's awl trick on the filter for the Suburban.

M Stewart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've used these on several trucks, cars, and SUVs since 2006. They are great for simple, clean and quick maintenance. I have NEVER had any issues with leaks or issues even with some serious off roading. Just get the correct one and look at clearances with a nipple or 90 deg if needed.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's Subaru is a super easy filter change, but the drain plug was super messy. So that was my first Fumoto valve install and I was hooked. I have them on the Suburban, Subaru, Jeep. I'll have to try Rocket Man's awl trick on the filter for the Suburban.
I love our Our Subaru for the top mounted filter, but hate the mess the pan drain makes. Who ever invented under chassis panels never changed oil.
We had a BMW long ago with the top mounted filter and I am guessing that the copycats caught on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts