6.2 swap thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sure has some kick ! Stalling at 2-2200 , you like that ZL1 converter now ?

Yeah for what it is, I'm pretty happy with it. Not sure how far I wanna take it, I always need more but there comes a point where "more" creates too many headaches.

Yeah the ZL1 converter was a good budget choice, feels the same as the stock one. Gas mileage not affected too much either. I burned through my entire tank of gas in 3 days though with all these WOT runs lol.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New water pump is in but had a terrible scare. Thought I was good after filling up radiator and letting it idle so I went for a drive, the temp gauge immediately spiked to 260. I shut off the engine and coasted.

I started it back up to see if maybe if it was just a giant air pocket and luckily it was. The temp came rushing back down to the normal 200-210. Whew.

The quality of the OEM water pump vs the crappy chinese one I had in there was night and day. The pulley was already sounding terrible on the chinese one. Just the overall finish of it was trash by comparison.

I bought this along with a chinese a/c delco professional alternator back in 2019, before my "buy once, cry once" motto I now live by. I am going to tear that alternator off too and just put on a new OEM one. Sucks paying twice, but it's pointless to risk it if I am going to take long road trips with this thing.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked and my battery is the original from 2012, amazing. I will replace that too. Adds up quick!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New water pump is in but had a terrible scare. Thought I was good after filling up radiator and letting it idle so I went for a drive, the temp gauge immediately spiked to 260. I shut off the engine and coasted.

I started it back up to see if maybe if it was just a giant air pocket and luckily it was. The temp came rushing back down to the normal 200-210. Whew.

The quality of the OEM water pump vs the crappy chinese one I had in there was night and day. The pulley was already sounding terrible on the chinese one. Just the overall finish of it was trash by comparison.

I bought this along with a chinese a/c delco professional alternator back in 2019, before my "buy once, cry once" motto I now live by. I am going to tear that alternator off too and just put on a new OEM one. Sucks paying twice, but it's pointless to risk it if I am going to take long road trips with this thing.

Weekend before last, I replaced the "GMB" brand water pump on my bro's truck. It lasted about 14 months. He went with an AC Delco Original this time. The GMB wasn't leaking, but that pulley was squealing and had 1/4" of slack in it. He's lucky that it failed while he was close to home.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weekend before last, I replaced the "GMB" brand water pump on my bro's truck. It lasted about 14 months. He went with an AC Delco Original this time. The GMB wasn't leaking, but that pulley was squealing and had 1/4" of slack in it. He's lucky that it failed while he was close to home.

Yup they're junk!

I just data logged my truck and it doesn't go above 198 now. 20 degree difference. and it's 40 degrees hotter today.

My oil pressure was also 3 PSI higher fully warm, I guess keeping things a lot cooler.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I would knock out a quick polish with menzerna 2500/3800 two step and Jescar power lock sealant. What a pain in the ass on such a large vehicle. Came out OK, I didn't do a meticulous job, just went over it once with each pad and didn't obsess about the results since it sits outside anyway. I will try to do this twice a year from now on.

Now that it looks great, I need to get it to sound great. I am still 90% sure it's valvetrain noise what I am dealing with, just seems too tappy to be piston slap. I am emailing BTR about the Delphi lifters to see if they're the same as the GM LS7. If they are, I will drop those in. Thinking about switching to GM blue springs and just a super mild .500 dropin cam as well.

I find with this vehicle, I'd rather have comfort over power anyway

20210518_095714.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog