6.2 swap thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer. I know you took much more care in your swap than I did on mine. I took things apart enough to fix the oil pump o-ring and swap lifters, valve springs, and cam. Went with the LS9 cam provided by Texas Speed and I'm having no engine issues except my original 5.3 starter isn't happy turning this 6.2 so I know I'll have to upgrade.

I do keep getting a P0230 fuel system error. I had that before the swap. I want to put my Tahoe up on my buddy's lift and check things out. I read somewhere on the TYF it could be chafed wires near the trans. I had my trans replaced a couple of years ago and they could have messed up the wire routing. Or it could be because my fuel pump controller is laying on my spare tire with no mounting.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was in your shoes Mike..... Johnson short travel linkbar $600 for the win.

They were DEAD quiet on the G8. I felt this was a less radical build, so I figured the dropins would be just as good. If the used lifters prove to fix the noise, at least I'll have ammunition to go back to Johnson and see if they will do an exchange.

Bummer. I know you took much more care in your swap than I did on mine. I took things apart enough to fix the oil pump o-ring and swap lifters, valve springs, and cam. Went with the LS9 cam provided by Texas Speed and I'm having no engine issues except my original 5.3 starter isn't happy turning this 6.2 so I know I'll have to upgrade.

I do keep getting a P0230 fuel system error. I had that before the swap. I want to put my Tahoe up on my buddy's lift and check things out. I read somewhere on the TYF it could be chafed wires near the trans. I had my trans replaced a couple of years ago and they could have messed up the wire routing. Or it could be because my fuel pump controller is laying on my spare tire with no mounting.

I did take care, however, I also used an engine sight unseen/unheard. I am 95% sure it's valvetrain noise though. We shall see soon!

I almost gave up and said I am just going to cut my losses and buy a newer truck. Opened up Autotrader and NOPED right out of that. Cannot believe the used market right now. I make good money too, but I absolutely refuse to spend $60k for marginal upgrade.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to update this

I got about 75k on the new motor when it blew a head gasket. I believe it was my fault because I used a roloc disc to clean the decks of the block and heads.

Do not do this! It definitely removes aluminum no matter what the internet says. My block looked horribly scratched up everywhere when I pulled the heads off, so I got the leak fixed by lightly sanding it and then using a fel pro head gasket which has a special coating on it designed to help imperfect sealing surfaces.

I also put in the GM caddy lifters and they sound way better than the morel drop in lifters. I will always be using these from now on for my builds. Much better cold start sound.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also put in the GM caddy lifters and they sound way better than the morel drop in lifters. I will always be using these from now on for my builds. Much better cold start sound.

What do you mean sound better? I put the Morels in mine and on a cold start, they make a little metallic click/clack noise; at least I suspect it is the lifters. About 60 seconds after, it goes away. After that, no noise or clatter. (04 L59)

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to update this

I got about 75k on the new motor when it blew a head gasket. I believe it was my fault because I used a roloc disc to clean the decks of the block and heads.

Do not do this! It definitely removes aluminum no matter what the internet says. My block looked horribly scratched up everywhere when I pulled the heads off, so I got the leak fixed by lightly sanding it and then using a fel pro head gasket which has a special coating on it designed to help imperfect sealing surfaces.

what are caddy lifters? part # ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t recall the part number. It was the drop in lifter that cost less than 200

They just sounded like shit on cold start and took forever to pump up. But this motor definitely has looser than normal lifter bores because I had noise with expensive johnson lifters too

The caddy lifters are gm lifters designed for more radical applications. They’re in my c7 spinning to 7300

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’m late to the party and only read the last page on engine noise in cold start. Sounds like my past 08 Denali L92 and its piston slap. 40K+ miles from ‘14 to ‘20 and sold @ 140k mi. Zero issues just a lotta slap’n going on when cold because of the design of the early uncoated piston skirts.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah likely some of that too. But the noise is significantly less with the GM lifters. I have a little noise but its the normal cammed/headered LS engine noise on cold start now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700