6.2 swap thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any battery recommendations?

My original OEM battery lasted like 7 years. The second one (Interstate) lasted 5 years.

I bought a NAPA Legend AGM (Johnson Controls, I think) a few years ago and have mixed feelings. I replaced my alternator recently as the original was really starting to whine. The dash voltmeter didn't show any charging problems, but when I checked my battery voltage (even after I started disconnecting it from the truck to check it), the voltage seemed a little low (like 12.3v, never over 12.4v). I don't know if the old alternator was leaving my battery undercharged and taking a toll on the relatively new AGM unit, so it seemed like that battery was not going to go anywhere near the 5-7 years of the previous units.

I bought a CTEK charger/maintainer and did a hardwired thing and I plug it in most nights. It has done wonders for that battery, now when I check it in the morning, after driving it the day before, but not charging it over night, voltage is usually above 12.8v (which my chart says is really good).

I think if I was doing it over, I would have bought another Interstate from Costco and skipped the pricey AGM option, but also bought that CTEK charger maintainer. I am convinced it will give me the best shot at a long battery life.

Here is a link to the charger (like everything else, the price has jumped almost 10% since I bought mine in Feb.) :(

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD44RQO/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My original OEM battery lasted like 7 years. The second one (Interstate) lasted 5 years.

I bought a NAPA Legend AGM (Johnson Controls, I think) a few years ago and have mixed feelings. I replaced my alternator recently as the original was really starting to whine. The dash voltmeter didn't show any charging problems, but when I checked my battery voltage (even after I started disconnecting it from the truck to check it), the voltage seemed a little low (like 12.3v, never over 12.4v). I don't know if the old alternator was leaving my battery undercharged and taking a toll on the relatively new AGM unit, so it seemed like that battery was not going to go anywhere near the 5-7 years of the previous units.

I bought a CTEK charger/maintainer and did a hardwired thing and I plug it in most nights. It has done wonders for that battery, now when I check it in the morning, after driving it the day before, but not charging it over night, voltage is usually above 12.8v (which my chart says is really good).

I think if I was doing it over, I would have bought another Interstate from Costco and skipped the pricey AGM option, but also bought that CTEK charger maintainer. I am convinced it will give me the best shot at a long battery life.

Here is a link to the charger (like everything else, the price has jumped almost 10% since I bought mine in Feb.) :(

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD44RQO/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Interesting. I have Duracell AGM batteries in both of my Denali's. So far, so good. But either truck will drain its battery if left in the garage for more than 2 weeks or so, so I also use a battery maintainer with an AGM mode when I'm not driving it. Solved my problem.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have Duracell AGM batteries in both of my Denali's. So far, so good. But either truck will drain its battery if left in the garage for more than 2 weeks or so, so I also use a battery maintainer with an AGM mode when I'm not driving it. Solved my problem.

I am normally a serious skeptic of "miracle cure" products.

Seeing what that battery charger/conditioner did to restore my battery was a real eye opener. Before I got it, my Yukon (likely the old alternator) just seemed to be wearing the battery down, along with the parasitic drain that clearly also works its magic. It definitely wasn't recovering to "fully charged" when tested after a night of sitting.

After using that charger, I can come in after running a bunch of errands, let the truck sit over night and when I disconnect it and test it, it always is over 12.8v (just like new).

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha np. I have a bit of OCD so I obsess about shit I cant figure out until its figured out. I could never tune for a living.

Everything is pretty solid now so im happy. Not OCD enough to go yankin heads off for the noisy lifters at least. Ive made peace with it.

Well that peace lasted a few months at least lol. I think I was expecting it to be much better in the warmer weather and it's just as bad so now I am pissed off lol.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was real bad this morning, there is just no way this is piston slap. Way too mechanical in nature. If it's piston slap, then this motor will eat itself.

After I repair my A/C myself, I am going to drop in these stock lifters I have laying around.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was real bad this morning, there is just no way this is piston slap. Way too mechanical in nature. If it's piston slap, then this motor will eat itself.

After I repair my A/C myself, I am going to drop in these stock lifters I have laying around.
Yeah, something is wrong if it's loud on EVERY startup. I started my 2012 with the Morels in it yesterday after 2 weeks of sitting in the garage, and it was quiet from the start. Bummer you gotta do that work, man. :-(

I wonder if it's worth putting in new OEM lifter trays when you replace the lifters this time?

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, something is wrong if it's loud on EVERY startup. I started my 2012 with the Morels in it yesterday after 2 weeks of sitting in the garage, and it was quiet from the start. Bummer you gotta do that work, man. :-(

I wonder if it's worth putting in new OEM lifter trays when you replace the lifters this time?

I had new lifter trays. I had the morels in my 5.3 and they were quiet too. Maybe I should just go with those instead of my used lifters. I wanted to rule out any aftermarket issues though.

And some people asked why I was so hesitant on changing the cam in the 6.2

Hope all works well out for you Mike.

Thanks. Yeah I've done dozens of cam swaps, never had this happen. I mean it could very well just be the bottom end since it was a junkyard motor too. But it just doesn't sound like it. I had piston slap on the 5.3 and it's very hollow sounding and only happens as you accelerate, not with no load at idle and it goes away quickly. This lasts for 25 minutes every cold start, seems like an oiling issue to the valvetrain. I have read Johnson lifters lowered oil PSI by 10.

My G8 had the shorter travel linkbar Johnson lifters..they were $600. That sucker was quiet as can be for 40k miles not a single issue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667