GM 6L80 Transmission Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monz11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions
Nick,

Can We swap our ****** 6L80s FOR A 8L90 or something more beefier? I alraedy hv the Enhanced, but now that I hv it boosted, it's gonna take a dump sooner than I want!

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions
Nick,

Can We swap our ****** 6L80s FOR A 8L90 or something more beefier? I alraedy hv the Enhanced, but now that I hv it boosted, it's gonna take a dump sooner than I want!
HA! If I was going to swap in a diff trans, I'd go with a 4L80E or 4L85E...the 8Ls are very finicky and the factory converters grenade on folks...Lots of lawsuits against GM because of those 8 speeds.

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To convert an awd trans to rwd, is it as simple as using the Camaro tail housing extension and having a driveshaft made? I live in south florida so there’s absolutely no need for awd but if it’s a huge hassle then I’ll just remove all the awd stuff and buy a 2wd trans. Just trying to avoid pulling the trans
I've never done this myself but seen on the net where folks will simply remove the 4x4 ext housing from the transmission, drill out the plugs on the back of the case to enable lube to pass to the extension housing then install the Camaro extension housing and go.

That said pulling the trans is easy, doesn't take very long once the driveshafts and transfer unit are all out of the way so if you're going to go this route, I'd first try to determine the condition of your existing unit by dropping the pan and taking a look at what's on the bottom...If there's burnt friction material, etc I'd plan on yanking out everything rearward of the engine and installing a 2wd transmission...Now, if you do swap transmissions, you need to validate that the TEHCM part number that's in the new trans matches the one on the TEHCM in your existing trans (another reason to drop the pan). Otherwise, you'll have to reprogram the replacement transmission's TEHCM (reprogramming =/= fast adapt relearn).

Monz11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hv circle D in mine as well, any other options I should consider to make sure this POS doesn't blow up, with my lead foot

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's more than likely a 2-3 flare if you're flaring in that part of the drive cycle though a 1-2 flare could happen as well. A 1-2 flare happens when the 2-6 clutch fails to come on timely when TEHCM commands a 1-2 upshift. Mechanical problems with the 2-6 clutch are relatively rare. Most often, a 1-2 flare is either TEHCM or valve body. 2-3 flares are usually base welds at the 3-5-R drum leaking, causing 3-5-R clutch pack slip & burn-up.
When it happens if not under warranty by then, is monster transmission still any good?

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it happens if not under warranty by then, is monster transmission still any good?
Monster is a bit overpriced for what you get but beyond that I have had no dealings with them or direct experience with any of their transmissions in any of my own vehicles. Im going by what I've seen when tearing down one of their units.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any hard part differences between an 08 and a 13 transmission? I know the valve body and TEHCM are different.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the OP is cammed and supercharged....
He is going to need the best internal parts avail for a 6l80E imo
Before I supercharged mine, I contacted circle D - the trans co, not the converter co
Our vehicles are just so heavy that they take a beating under high power

That being said I threw all the best stuff I could at mine. Just the rebuild kit with
all the best stuff was about 3K (pre-covid) . Then I had my local trusted shop pull
it and rebuild it. I used a stock core torque converter from PATC
I had the stall bumped a hair to 1800 (should have went 2000) but it has HD lock up
converter clutch in it.
My main goal was heavy towing and longevity. Have really enjoyed this 6l80e

To add: 8l80E's suck, period... and even in the new LT5 trucks with the 6.6L
they use the 6L80E/6l90E, not the 10 speed...

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the OP is cammed and supercharged....
He is going to need the best internal parts avail for a 6l80E imo
Before I supercharged mine, I contacted circle D - the trans co, not the converter co
Our vehicles are just so heavy that they take a beating under high power

That being said I threw all the best stuff I could at mine. Just the rebuild kit with
all the best stuff was about 3K (pre-covid) . Then I had my local trusted shop pull
it and rebuild it. I used a stock core torque converter from PATC
I had the stall bumped a hair to 1800 (should have went 2000) but it has HD lock up
converter clutch in it.
My main goal was heavy towing and longevity. Have really enjoyed this 6l80e

To add: 8l80E's suck, period... and even in the new LT5 trucks with the 6.6L
they use the 6L80E/6l90E, not the 10 speed...
Parts I like specifically for high perf are

- Transgo Unbreakable pump ring kit
- Billet rotor
- Sonnax 3-5-R HP apply ring
- Sonnax 4-5-6 piston kit-Powerglide spec
- Sonnax 4-5-6 Powerglide spec billet steel hub
- Billet drive plate on rear planet
- Alto reds and kolene steel module

Its prudent to tig-weld reinforce the two other hubs as they can snap like the 4-5-6 hub under serious power/torque.

Also, I dont have a supercharged, cammed engine (I'm the OP) - perhaps you're referring to another member?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts