Which Oil filter do you use.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Some believe in Luck.. I believe in Metallurgy.

And lubrication theory. My best friend from High School built serious B drag race cars. Much later he became the manager of the Military Jet Engine development group at Pratt and Whitney. "Wow!", he said, "Now I finally actually understand about bearing clearances, oil films and pressure".

Tribology is an amazing, yet in-depth, subject.

TerryKing

Reaction score
"Tribology " - Yeah, I HEARD of it.. A bunch of woodworking guys talking about waxing jointer and saw tables. I DID that and it was good; also some rust protection. Lot of talk there about Stiction.

OldGuyStoryWarning:

OMG this all just reminds me of "Chick".. 1948 or 1949 my Dad would get the oil changed in our 1939 Chevrolet sedan. On Dixwell Avenue in Hamden Connecticut there was an old "Gas Station" run by an old guy named "Chick".. I remember watching the Chevvy go up on the lift (The kind with one huge central cylinder). While draining the oil, Chick would regale us with a little lecture that started, "The Viscosity of an Oil is Determined by...". Wow .. I had forgotten about that. I do remember my Dad standing there with his overcoat and his hat as we got back in the Chevy with the brown cloth upholstery that always smelled like cigarette smoke.

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my knowledge/experience

O'reilly's/Napa Filters=WIX
Advance Auto parts=FRAM
Autozone STP= Champion Labs JUNK
Walmart Supertech filters=Champion Labs JUNK
Pep Boys auto parts (if you have any left in business:rolleyes:) = Champion Labs JUNK !!

Personally, I'm running out of my Fram XG's :( So I got 12 of these Bosch 3332 filters for $33 after tax and shipped on eBay :cool::thumbsup:

They have VERY good reviews on Amazon and have a silicon ADBV!!! I plan to do 7000 miles
(2 3500 mile OCI's) drain and fill and see how it goes

Dave

1641908467318.pngThe Smart Choice

• Bosch filters are designed to fit your engine's specific application. Bosch filters meet all OEM requirements.
  • Premium engine performance requires a premium oil filter. Bosch Premium Oil Filters protect the engine by keeping out harmful particles and dirt to prevent premature wear and engine failure. Bosch Premium Oil Filters not only fit like OE filters, they utilize an exclusive blend of natural and synthetic materials in the media for superior oil filtration and increased engine protection.
  • With 99% efficiency* and a media that can hold up to 14 grams* of dirt and particles, the Bosch Premium Oil Filters traps both large and microscopic particles from entering the engine. Your customers can count on premium engine protection with Bosch Premium Oil Filters.

-91a9-f360987855f2.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

BENEFITS & FEATURES​

87fc-4e0ce5165b7b.__CR43,0,782,782_PT0_SX220_V1___.jpg946d-595807bc4269.__CR20,0,387,387_PT0_SX220_V1___.jpg7e5-e727565dfcef.__CR75,71,711,711_PT0_SX220_V1___.jpgb098-33535702c8f2.__CR0,46,383,383_PT0_SX220_V1___.jpg

ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT FIT​

Proper Fit:
Rest assured the filter will fit and stay on the vehicle the same way as the original filter that is put on during production of the car.

14 GRAM CAPACITY​

Holds on to engine-damaging particles:
Premium filtration media has the capacity to hold up to 14 grams of dirt* from entering the engine.

99% EFFICIENT​

Traps small engine-damaging particles:
A high glass content is woven into the blended media, providing greater efficiency and strength.

SUPERIOR OIL FILTRATION​

Premium engine performance:
Bosch Premium oil filters utilize an exclusive blend of natural and synthetic materials in the media.

Last edited:
OP
OP
corvette744

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Well, when the spreadsheet was started there were a few more which were dropped from consideration. The Napa was the same as WIX if memory serves. I did notice recently that RockAuto was selling both PF63E and PF63 filters, so did GM begin producing the older style again?

I used Mobil One synthetic since the 1980s. Until about 2010 it was a Group IV base oil. Now it is a Group III, not as refined. I switched vehicles but did not like the morning rattle on my truck. Made an even more exhaustive study of oil and settled on the new ACDelco Full Synthetic. Picked up a quarter mpg and no more rattle. Shell's Rotella Gas Truck has very similar numbers and if the oil becomes to difficult to obtain, I'll switch to that. Again, this research was done in 2018-2019.

Motor is aluminum, so tolerance are not as tight. With M1 filter, pressure on hot summer days would drop into very low 20s, sometimes saw 19 psi even. This was in gear, stopped at a light and after 4K miles. Still well within spec, just not used to it. K&N and new oil hasn't dropped below 24 psi that I've noticed during same conditions, usually a little higher.
So i am about to buy the rotella gas truck 5w-30 and see that it is being discontinued.Suprising since the test i seen against mobil 1 was impressive and close.I dont get why company's discontinue a very good product.I have this oil and amsoil to try and my testing will be done.Looks like im buying 3 gallons of rotella before its all gone.Amazon

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So i am about to buy the rotella gas truck 5w-30 and see that it is being discontinued.Suprising since the test i seen again mobil 1 was impressive and close.I dont get why company's discontinue a very good product.I have this oil and amsoil to try and my testing will be done.Looks like im buying 3 gallons of rotella before its all gone.Amazon

Yes, it's been pulled from any local stores. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll need to order some myself.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i am about to buy the rotella gas truck 5w-30 and see that it is being discontinued.Suprising since the test i seen again mobil 1 was impressive and close.I dont get why company's discontinue a very good product.I have this oil and amsoil to try and my testing will be done.Looks like im buying 3 gallons of rotella before its all gone.Amazon
My local oriellys was discontinuing carrying conventional pennzoil two years ago. I picked up 2 cases of hd40 weight for my old ford for 78 cents a quart.
Employee said that corporate was told Pennz was going to stop all conventional oil and just have semi and full synthetic.
Whatever i got 4 oil changes for 20 bucks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i am about to buy the rotella gas truck 5w-30 and see that it is being discontinued.Suprising since the test i seen against mobil 1 was impressive and close.I dont get why company's discontinue a very good product.I have this oil and amsoil to try and my testing will be done.Looks like im buying 3 gallons of rotella before its all gone.Amazon
Ahh that stinks! Rotella Gas Truck is very similar to the oil I use and better than Mobil One. I had a nice stock of oil, couple years worth until my daughter found out about it! Yeah, Maybe we'll pick up some too. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit, $30 a bottle on Amazon!
Edit again, well, even the ACDelco oil went up at RA too! $26+ before shipping!

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm having second thoughts about getting any. My oil gets changed once a year whether it needs it or not (I average probably 4K miles on an OCI) so I'll just make do with NAPA full synthetic when it's on sale, or something else. Just changed my neighbor's oil on her Fusion when they had the full syn for $20/5 quarts sale.

OP
OP
corvette744

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Ahh that stinks! Rotella Gas Truck is very similar to the oil I use and better than Mobil One. I had a nice stock of oil, couple years worth until my daughter found out about it! Yeah, Maybe we'll pick up some too. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit, $30 a bottle on Amazon!
Edit again, well, even the ACDelco oil went up at RA too! $26+ before shipping!
Everytime i use rock auto im dissapointed i cannot find anything im looking for on that site.:flame::flame::flame: After further digging i found dexos 1 i assume this is the oil your talkng about.6 quarts im at 32.64 before tax and shipping am i missing a discount somewhere.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission