Which Oil filter do you use.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I don’t believe brand matters much anymore, so many brands are cross licensed or made by one factory producing a bunch of different names, with specifications that are ever changing. What *may* matter is choosing something that’s not the lowest tier in any given brand; that will get you better anti drain back valves and bypass typically.

And what matters most is how often oil is changed. I’d rather do 5k intervals with Walmart oil than 10k with any of the boutique brands.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Fram XG3675 or Amsoil EAO64

Both *very* high quality synthetic filters w/ the long can. Wouldn't touch the rest of Fram's lineup with a 10ft pole, but their ultra synthetics are on point. And well.. Amsoil is Amsoil.

IMO, better filter > better oil. Even the best oil will do you no good if it has floating particulates and contaminants in it

Reaction score
Fram XG3675 or Amsoil EAO64

Both *very* high quality synthetic filters w/ the long can. Wouldn't touch the rest of Fram's lineup with a 10ft pole, but their ultra synthetics are on point. And well.. Amsoil is Amsoil.

IMO, better filter > better oil. Even the best oil will do you no good if it has floating particulates and contaminants in it
Agree. I use Amsoil signature and matching filter.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With all my years in shops and all my own vehicles, including Harley's, I have used WIX quality with never a problem and will continue to do so. The application of your filter is the same as mine and I still use them but I like a little more oil capacity and use the WIX 51522XP that is slightly over 1" longer than the 51042XP. The other dimensions and specs are the exact same. Yes, they are hard to get though.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use WIX as well. Either the 51042 or 52042XP, whichever is in stock. I talked with a guy at O'Reilly about a year ago about them not having the regular 51042 and he said it was a nationwide issue, so I shelled out the extra couple of bucks for the XP.

I used to use the AC Delco PF46 filters when I had oil changes done at the dealership and through my first couple of oil changes because I got them for next to nothing. Once they switched to the E cores, I went back to WIX.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I use WIX as well. Either the 51042 or 52042XP, whichever is in stock. I talked with a guy at O'Reilly about a year ago about them not having the regular 51042 and he said it was a nationwide issue, so I shelled out the extra couple of bucks for the XP.

I used to use the AC Delco PF46 filters when I had oil changes done at the dealership and through my first couple of oil changes because I got them for next to nothing. Once they switched to the E cores, I went back to WIX.
I think you meant 51042xp, correct? No such number as 52042xp at the Wix site.

OP
OP
corvette744

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
With all my years in shops and all my own vehicles, including Harley's, I have used WIX quality with never a problem and will continue to do so. The application of your filter is the same as mine and I still use them but I like a little more oil capacity and use the WIX 51522XP that is slightly over 1" longer than the 51042XP. The other dimensions and specs are the exact same. Yes, they are hard to get though.
That filter is not avail in the usa either very strange they dont have any oil filters in stock for a 5.3.I know wix was bought out by another company awhile back.