Which Oil filter do you use.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
corvette744

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Alright, this was done about 2018 or 2019:

View attachment 359877

I have personally used the PF63E, the M1-212A and the HP2011 on my truck. The Mobil One filter dropped my oil pressure about 2-3 psi compared with the other two. From the 1980s through the 2000s our family used FRAM filters without issue, even when we were broke and had to reset the OLM a few times. I used ACDelco filters in my muscle cars back in the day. Probably going to buy a case of PF63s for the Sierra since it goes through oil changes every two months. The K&Ns are probably the most expensive, they are about $15 each right now. The PF63s are $8-9 each.
So are those the only ones you have tried out specs look good-my oil pressure dropped with the royal purple from the mobil 1 by about 4 psi.That is what im most interested in oil pressure readings cold were i live its 2 degrees out now and only going to get colder soon.Also summer heat readings.All using the same oil and about the same mileage.Looking to see oil pressure differences and oil color at 1-3-4k miles.Only oil is mobil 1 full synthetic.5w-30

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are those the only ones you have tried out specs look good-my oil pressure dropped with the royal purple from the mobil 1 by about 4 psi.That is what im most interested in oil pressure readings cold were i live its 2 degrees out now and only going to get colder soon.Also summer heat readings.All using the same oil and about the same mileage.Looking to see oil pressure differences and oil color at 1-3-4k miles.Only oil is mobil 1 full synthetic.5w-30
Well, when the spreadsheet was started there were a few more which were dropped from consideration. The Napa was the same as WIX if memory serves. I did notice recently that RockAuto was selling both PF63E and PF63 filters, so did GM begin producing the older style again?

I used Mobil One synthetic since the 1980s. Until about 2010 it was a Group IV base oil. Now it is a Group III, not as refined. I switched vehicles but did not like the morning rattle on my truck. Made an even more exhaustive study of oil and settled on the new ACDelco Full Synthetic. Picked up a quarter mpg and no more rattle. Shell's Rotella Gas Truck has very similar numbers and if the oil becomes to difficult to obtain, I'll switch to that. Again, this research was done in 2018-2019.

Motor is aluminum, so tolerance are not as tight. With M1 filter, pressure on hot summer days would drop into very low 20s, sometimes saw 19 psi even. This was in gear, stopped at a light and after 4K miles. Still well within spec, just not used to it. K&N and new oil hasn't dropped below 24 psi that I've noticed during same conditions, usually a little higher.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Have you seen the videos by Project Farm where he’s testing cold flow of various oils?

OP
OP
corvette744

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Well, when the spreadsheet was started there were a few more which were dropped from consideration. The Napa was the same as WIX if memory serves. I did notice recently that RockAuto was selling both PF63E and PF63 filters, so did GM begin producing the older style again?

I used Mobil One synthetic since the 1980s. Until about 2010 it was a Group IV base oil. Now it is a Group III, not as refined. I switched vehicles but did not like the morning rattle on my truck. Made an even more exhaustive study of oil and settled on the new ACDelco Full Synthetic. Picked up a quarter mpg and no more rattle. Shell's Rotella Gas Truck has very similar numbers and if the oil becomes to difficult to obtain, I'll switch to that. Again, this research was done in 2018-2019.

Motor is aluminum, so tolerance are not as tight. With M1 filter, pressure on hot summer days would drop into very low 20s, sometimes saw 19 psi even. This was in gear, stopped at a light and after 4K miles. Still well within spec, just not used to it. K&N and new oil hasn't dropped below 24 psi that I've noticed during same conditions, usually a little higher.
So your recommendation is the k&n hp filters and ac delco full synthetic.If so i will test that next go around.What part number do you have for my filter.So the new ac delco oil is different than the old how old is the old oil i have some around.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your recommendation is the k&n hp filters and ac delco full synthetic.If so i will test that next go around.What part number do you have for my filter.So the new ac delco oil is different than the old how old is the old oil i have some around.
HP-1007 is the original size filter, not sure of the long one. The original oil was a synthetic blend. On ACDelco's parts website, they listed full synthetic for my year and 4x4s and synthetic blend for RWD, so to me a the time, that was new.

1641583445756.png

I have seen other part numbers for synthetic oil but these are the ones listed on their website for the 2009 and 2012. I've been buying it at RockAuto. I can get it about an hour south but RA is more convenient. The 5 quart bottles are package 3 to a box, you can buy less. Two boxes is 4 or 5 oil changes.

Reaction score
HP-1007 is the original size filter, not sure of the long one. The original oil was a synthetic blend. On ACDelco's parts website, they listed full synthetic for my year and 4x4s and synthetic blend for RWD, so to me a the time, that was new.

View attachment 359930

I have seen other part numbers for synthetic oil but these are the ones listed on their website for the 2009 and 2012. I've been buying it at RockAuto. I can get it about an hour south but RA is more convenient. The 5 quart bottles are package 3 to a box, you can buy less. Two boxes is 4 or 5 oil changes.
I thought the K&N short was HP-1017 and the long was HP-2011

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN