Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just finished an eleven hour run to rescue our two youngest daughters and their friends after the transmission in the Sierra went out. They made it to the truck meet but nobody had diagnostic tools. P0796 and she went into limp mode. It's under warranty so this won't be a kitchen table rebuild of the TECHM and valve body. Will know more later on, going to hit the rack soon.

View attachment 363765
Dad to the rescue.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished an eleven hour run to rescue our two youngest daughters and their friends after the transmission in the Sierra went out. They made it to the truck meet but nobody had diagnostic tools. P0796 and she went into limp mode. It's under warranty so this won't be a kitchen table rebuild of the TECHM and valve body. Will know more later on, going to hit the rack soon.

View attachment 363765

Did it have any prior symptoms or it just quit, cold turkey?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it have any prior symptoms or it just quit, cold turkey?
Appears to have been cold turkey, as soon as they got off the highway. They pulled over, called me, I told them to try M4 which she did and about 5 minutes later the CEL came on with reduced power mode. They kept driving another few miles to the car show/truck meet and later moved it to an empty parking lot for loading. Drove it onto and off the tow truck. I cleared the codes on scene and ran some tests with the Tech-2 but need to get the code to reset when we take it in to the dealer this week. Also have to read up on this warranty she has too. As much as I want to tear into it myself, it's probably going to get a new one as she does not now care about originality. Want to see the fluid myself, she said it was brown (in the dark) which would be odd since it was changed about 20K miles ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped the Sierra off at the GMC dealership, Garber in Fort Pierce. They called later and said the transmission is on national backorder which GMPartsDirect and some others seem to have confirmed for me. Warranty company is sending someone out to check and approve claim within 48 hours.

They cleaned the throttle body and could not get the P0121 to repeat which seems odd to me.

They also discovered that the coolant reservoir was cracked (apparently not where it would leak) and a broken exhaust manifold bolt. They told my wife and daughter that the bolt repair is $2500 because you do "other stuff" while fixing it. Can't imagine what that might entail!

The bumper to bumper warranty is craftily worded, it mainly covers parts that are lubricated but also would have included the throttle body but not the broken exhaust manifold bolt.
Dealership is saying that the transmission is toast and needs to be completely overhauled or the unit replaced. The saga continues...

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adjuster came out and approved the replacement of the transmission. Apparently, they have their own stock of 6L80s and will be sending one to the dealership on Monday. Interesting huh? Of course, since GM is not providing it, the only warranty it will have is the balance of the one my daughter purchased when she bought the truck. The company is called APEX if anyone is wondering. Do not know about the torque converter or testing of the transmission cooler. If I understood correctly, they are also replacing the coolant reservoir and maybe the exhaust manifold bolt and providing a rental car for 5 days. My wife likes getting involved in this stuff so I'm just an observer and advisor on this one! LOL

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Adjuster came out and approved the replacement of the transmission. Apparently, they have their own stock of 6L80s and will be sending one to the dealership on Monday. Interesting huh? Of course, since GM is not providing it, the only warranty it will have is the balance of the one my daughter purchased when she bought the truck. The company is called APEX if anyone is wondering. Do not know about the torque converter or testing of the transmission cooler. If I understood correctly, they are also replacing the coolant reservoir and maybe the exhaust manifold bolt and providing a rental car for 5 days. My wife likes getting involved in this stuff so I'm just an observer and advisor on this one! LOL
So in your opinion was the extended warranty worth the extra money? It's not your daughter's fault that GM isn't supplying the transmission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in your opinion was the extended warranty worth the extra money? It's not your daughter's fault that GM isn't supplying the transmission.
Well, we might have to wait until the truck is back in the driveway to answer that one! My wife and daughter are already cryptically saying, "See? I told you so"! They wanted it, they're happy that it seems to be paying off.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well, we might have to wait until the truck is back in the driveway to answer that one! My wife and daughter are already cryptically saying, "See? I told you so"! They wanted it, they're happy that it seems to be paying off.
I always bought extended warranties myself. The majority of the time they lost money on me lol. I used it alot when I had my Typhoon and T-Bird SC.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always bought extended warranties myself. The majority of the time they lost money on me lol. I used it alot when I had my Typhoon and T-Bird SC.
My wife and I bought our 2006 SV6 Montana brand new and got the extended warranty on it. They repaired the transmission with a few miles left on it! Like literally 1 to 3 miles till it expired. For some reason, they redesigned the power sliding doors and they were always working on them while we never had an issue with the other two Montana's doors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo