Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I bought our 2006 SV6 Montana brand new and got the extended warranty on it. They repaired the transmission with a few miles left on it! Like literally 1 to 3 miles till it expired. For some reason, they redesigned the power sliding doors and they were always working on them while we never had an issue with the other two Montana's doors.
GM does that: keep 'fixing' designs until they break them. Take AFM -> DFM for example. Problems with the lifters in AFM engines to the point that it damages your reputation as a brand? Time to double down! Literally!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM does that: keep 'fixing' designs until they break them. Take AFM -> DFM for example. Problems with the lifters in AFM engines to the point that it damages your reputation as a brand? Time to double down! Literally!
I've watched interviews with the guys who designed it. Guess they are stuck with it if they want to keep V8 engines and not run turbo V6s. They have endeavored to make it as reliable as possible, at least they were believable to me! The guy who did AFM, did the 4-6-8 Cadillacs back in the 1980s. Everyone makes fun of them but I knew a few that kept working into the early 1990s at least.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Sierra's new remanufactured transmission and torque converter were installed last week and the truck has been driving fine. Julia seems to think that it is holding in the 2000s a little longer than before but then she also thought my transmission wasn't shifting right. Mine is tuned, hers with 35s is not so it's going to act a little different. I'm waiting to heal up some before I can climb up and take it for a drive and see for myself. Been to the hospital two too many times this year already!

They said her coolant reservoir was cracked, we can't see it so I ordered a couple of new ones just in case. Going to change mine out since it is 13 years old when we do the coolant flush. My wife has been driving the Yukon lately so it was down 1/2 quart after about 2500 miles, she has a lead foot. Doesn't use any oil when I drive it. Oh, looking around the engine bay I could see that the #7 cylinder has an exhaust leak at the manifold now, wasn't there a few months ago.

We popped the hood of the Sierra looking for that broken exhaust manifold bolt and sure enough, number 7 as well.

Did you all know that the 5.3 and 6.2 Gen IV use the same manifolds and gaskets? We do however have different part numbers for the flange or header or exhaust manifold bolts. Bolts appear the same physically, they just have different thread sealer. 11547135 for my 2009 5.3 and 11546600 for the 2012 6.2. Probably going to go with the ARP 134-1102 or 434-1102 bolt kit.

Oh, here's a new one. Wife was driving and CEL came on. Julia checked it for me and it was a P1400, Cold Start Emission Reduction Control System. This happened a few days after Jaime and I replaced all 4 O2 sensors with GM OE. I only tightened one myself, she did the rest. Yesterday, Julia went under the truck and put a wrench on them all to make sure they were tight and they were. That's when we found the exhaust leak at number 7. It came on once more and was cleared. I haven't put the Tech-2 on it yet, runs and drives just fine, mileage is a little better than usual.

Speaking of mileage, $135 and change to fill up the other day, thanks Joe! That's a record, surpassing even 2008s prices.

Maybe I'll get in the truck today and take it for a ride, the funky idle from the spark plugs is still in my brain. Can't play around too much, grandson's 4th birthday party at our home tonight!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the trucks out to the drags last night for some evening fun. Weren't too many people and not many clunkers, only one blew up in the beginning of the night so even though we showed up after the start, we still got 5 runs in. Well, I made 4 with the Yukon and Julia made 5 with the Sierra.

This was the first time both trucks made runs on gasoline. Mine was half full of Chevron 93 with a bottle of Lucas octane booster. High negative trims, funky plugs and an exhaust leak and she still managed to get faster and faster with each succeeding pass, to 296 rear wheel horsepower. Short times were slower when power braking the truck, did it once in 4WD to get the jump on a Dodge, smoked him off the line but he caught me just before the traps. It was one of them new 5.7 Hemi motors with coil spring suspension. We chatted and he got her dialed in and dropped the truck into the 15s with a 2.3 60-foot. Mine were all 2.5s. The Yukon would have made a great bracket car tonight, it was pretty consistent, only .06 seconds between the slowest and fastest ET and .32 MPH.

Ran the Tech-2 on three runs which saved the last two. Recorded Engine Load and Torque which I extrapolated to calculate horsepower which coincided with the math from the timeslips and the weight of the truck. Spot on. Second recording was for knock retard. I was surprised so much knock was detected running 93 and octane boost. The most knock retard was 2 degrees at varying times. I plotted it out in Excel, maybe I'll clean it up later so you all can look at it and give me some feedback.

My wife recorded the runs as did the dash cam too.

Another end of an era is coming up. The track will be closing this this month, we have 2 more test-n-tunes left. I was at Miami-Hollywood in '92 on its last test-n-tune night too. Now we'll have to run at Orlando Speed World or Sebring, nearly 2 hours away and not 30 minutes anymore. Good thing we have the VC-200! LOL

I'm of mind to replace the exhaust manifold gasket on the driver's side, replace all the bolts on both sides and the studs and nuts and gaskets that connect to the Y-pipe. But it's heating up fast and such a project may just have to wait until fall.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, has anyone ever had their nav radio blank out for a second and then resume like nothing happened? Has happened thrice in two days and the codes said it was a voltage spike, more than 16V for like 200 milliseconds or something like that. The mirrors and seats also had related codes. Alternator getting tired? ECM or BCM? Wiring? Haven't really looked into it yet. These are the codes: C0900-00, B2375-06, B1544-04, B1605-04 and B2474-07.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh, has anyone ever had their nav radio blank out for a second and then resume like nothing happened? Has happened thrice in two days and the codes said it was a voltage spike, more than 16V for like 200 milliseconds or something like that. The mirrors and seats also had related codes. Alternator getting tired? ECM or BCM? Wiring? Haven't really looked into it yet. These are the codes: C0900-00, B2375-06, B1544-04, B1605-04 and B2474-07.
I have but it seemed to be related to a current drop when my abs activated. I did some battery cable work to correct it. I should look for codes…

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a late start today at the house, everyone slept in. With a big storm about two hours away my daughter and I went outside to change out the coolant reservoir and flush the cooling system.

Neither of us could access the lower radiator hose from above so we turned the passenger front wheel all the way to the right and peeled back the fender liner. Still made for awkward placement of the hose clamp pliers and with my busted thumb, could not get a tight enough grip to compress the hose clamp. Youngest daughter to the rescue! She got it clamped down but now we couldn't move it anywhere. The solution was to remove the bracket that the air cleaner and coolant reservoir bolt to, 6 bolts, and move it out of the way and then we got the hose off. And of course at that moment it began to drizzle so the flush went out the window and we put everything back together and filled it with 2 gallons of ACDelco Dex-Cool 50/50 coolant. Cleaned up under a light rain while the motor was coming up to temp, revved it up to 2500 for a few minutes and then took it for a drive. No leaks, temp looks about the same. Old coolant had been in there for 59K miles and 5 years and was not too dirty, much cleaner than the Sierra's!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For Christmas little sister gave big sister this cool sticker of the Grand Teton mountain range for the Sierra. To recap, the Sierra was purchased in Idaho and the girls flew out and drove the truck home through the Grand Tetons.

So a little while earlier Julia put the carbon fiber wrap on her dash trim pieces and then put the Teton mountain stickers over that and finally sent me photos to post here. She also got her dash mat in today, it is Carhartt and was laid up on the dash in the afternoon, the sun will flatten it out over the next few days.

IMG_2563.jpgIMG_2564.jpgIMG_2565.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
For Christmas little sister gave big sister this cool sticker of the Grand Teton mountain range for the Sierra. To recap, the Sierra was purchased in Idaho and the girls flew out and drove the truck home through the Grand Tetons.

So a little while earlier Julia put the carbon fiber wrap on her dash trim pieces and then put the Teton mountain stickers over that and finally sent me photos to post here. She also got her dash mat in today, it is Carhartt and was laid up on the dash in the afternoon, the sun will flatten it out over the next few days.

View attachment 367315View attachment 367316View attachment 367317
Looks really good. I wonder how the radio bezel would look with the cf look.......

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 367315View attachment 367316View attachment 367317

I like that sticker idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr