Black bear tune anyone increase MPG???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
New to the forum but not to GM trucks. I have had many Gm trucks over the years and remember when 13 mpg was average. My last truck of this generation was a 2007 Sierra CC 5.3 w/ 3:42 gears averaged 14-15 mpg. Sold it in 2012 and have since owned a 2014 Silverado CC 5.3 3.08, -2015 Sierra CC 5.3 3.42, -2015 Denali XL 6.2 3.23 and then a 2017 Denali 6.2 3.23. The Denali got impressive fuel mileage. 23 mpg on the highway. 21mpg driving aggressively. Florida is 80 mph all day on the Turnpike. Surprisingly the 5.3 6 speed in the new trucks gets less mpg than the 6.2 w/ the 8 speed.

I was really disappointed with the new generation trucks. Too long of a story but the seats and the ride were terrible. Many other issues also. I loved the older LS trucks and started my search going back. I found a 2013 suburban LTZ , white diamond, with heavy duty tow package and 3.42 gears, 2wd. Dealer serviced since new, insane service records. 94k on her. A great find. Just did a lot of serviceable items, belts, tensioners, pulley, synthetic fluids rear, trans and engine, new Michelin defender tires, spark plugs, wires, air filter, brake fluid flush, and all 4- o2 sensors.

I got 17.5 mpg driving her home 250 miles. Around town I am getting 14 mpg. Well after all my service and new tune up parts I figured I pick up a little mpg???.........Well I was wrong!! I am getting 17.6

I guess I have been spoiled with better mileage these last years in the new trucks. Hated the trucks but loved the mileage. I figured with the sticker stating 21 mpg maybe 19 mpg wasn't an unreasonable expectation?

I have read many are in the 17 mpg range? Am I correct? Anything I can do?

The trans although shifting well ,never seems to be in the right gear for my acceleration. I am considering a black bear tune to get better shifting and a little power but those of you that have it can I expect to gain any MPG or will I lose MPG?? I just want better drivability and MPG. Love the truck otherwise, very happy to be back in the saddle. Newer is not always better, lesson learned...expensive lesson.

What MPGs are the 2wd guys getting?

Sorry for the long story, thanks for your experience and help

Last edited:

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BB tune gets your trans sorted.
As far as better mileage.....its so much fun to drive harder after the tune. I honestly have no idea.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant tell you MPG on BB tune, I am trying to get mine done at their event in dfw this fall.

I have a superchips cortex now... With afm off, I average high 17s to 18s with ac on... ac off 19-21 on my bridge filled 35 mile commute one way. K&n drop in filter helped about .5 mpg honestly. I have 3.08 so it breathes better at 85 than it does at 75 and blows through hills and bridges there. But best mileage is 60-65 also, pulled 23 average running down there but I don't do it often and traffic dictates that to me most days. The burb is heavy... bb tune should help alot with it fixing the trans control to hold gears and work better.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
14 mpg in the city is typical. 17.5 about right. 5500 lb vehicle.....Your not going to get great mpg...

The new DI engines are more fuel efficient, no doubt.

The BB tune will help a little. It will make it more responsive but tell them you want an economy tune.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run an 89-octane BBP custom tune in my 2008 LT3 and average 14.5 MPG around town. I never get over 18 MPG on highway. Don't recall what I was seeing before the tune, but it was comparable.

Pretty sure that if I ran it strictly like a grandma around town I'd see 16 MPG. But the boredom and/or frustration of driving in that manner would NOT be worth the few bucks I'd save in fuel economy---and I'd probably piss-off a few other drivers around here with such slow operation.

OP
OP
Seamus

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed points guys. Keep them coming.

Yes I forgot to mention it is Africa hot here and the AC is always on. So my MPGs are normal it seems ? I did see on one youtube video of a guy doing a AFM delete kit on a 5.3 with a stuck lifter stating they pick up 1-2 mpg??

To be honest getting 17 mpg in this truck running regular fuel compared, to getting 21 mpg in my '17 Denali running premium is not a big difference in money. It would take 2 lifetimes to get a return on fuel mileage to make up the 50k difference in price too!! I can tell you the new trucks are a nightmare and everyday felt this truck is not worth this money period. Then every month bringing it to the dealer was salt in the wound.

Thanks guys

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Seamus I’m not in a 2013, but I have a long wheel base truck. 2006 6.0 denali xl. With AWD. My truck is black bear tuned. I live in SoCal and lately have been traveling the freeways a lot. Almost two years on my blackbear tune. I think that the biggest thing that helps with fuel economy is the transmission aspect of the tune. With the transmission being in the correct gear and not searching its shifts a lot less which I think I helps fuel economy. Plus it keeps your trans a lot cooler which helps in the long run for transmission life! I consistently see 18-20 mpg on long highway drives given there’s no traffic. I can sometimes see 21ish if I keep my door out of the throttle and keep cruise control at 70..... lol. But that’s hard to do especially since the tune my rig holds 75-80 with ease..... lol. But I have a 6.0, AWD and require 91 octane fuel. Given a blackbear tune I think your 2WD 5.3 burb will see better fuel economy! Either way the BBP tune is worth every penny as it makes these trucks so much more enjoyable to drive! You won’t regret having them tune your truck!

MajorJakkov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove the same route to work and around town for 2 years before I got the BB ECM + TCM tunes on a Tahoe. Averaged 13.8-14.0 mpg, then averaged 15.1-15.3 mpg after it was tuned. I ran the 91+ octane tune only until I was getting ready to trade it, then dropped it back to the 87/89 octane tune for the next owner.

I had a Corsa Sport catback and liked to hear it, especially after it was tuned and moved a little better, so my mpg average may have been a little on the low side. In my opinion, the tuning did help with the mpg but more importantly it helped with power, shifting and removed AFM.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Black Bear Performance tune on both the ECM and TCM for my 07 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2.

When advising Black Bear regarding my tune preferences, I stated that I was looking primarily for performance improvements using 93 octane gas, and that I had no concerns or preferences whatsoever regarding changes in gas mileage, since this is not my primary vehicle, but rather my 'fun' vehicle.

After the Black Bear tune was installed, I lost about 2 mpg in the city and 1 mpg on the highway. Now, I have to admit that I have a heavy foot, so with the tune, in the city, I average 10-11 mpg, and on the highway, I average 15-16 mpg (18 mpg, if the wife is in the truck with me, LOL).

My understanding is that if your primary preference is increased gas mileage, Black Bear Performance can also support that preference with a custom tune, though I do not know how much of an improvement is possible through the custom tune.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll take years of vehicle operation to see enough savings in fuel cost to offset the cost of the tune itself.

If fuel economy is that important, get or trade into a different and lower-cost vehicle altogether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy