Thoughts from a 2018 owner to a 2021

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tool2269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curiosity question from a full time detailer. Are you guys saying with the folding running boards that there’s no way to keep them while I the vehicle is off? I always keep them down on equipped vehicles the entire time I’m working a detail, to use as a step, to be able to properly clean them, and to avoid unnecessary battery strain on the system while I’m working. It seems like it’s getting harder and harder to utilize this function. I have a client with a brand new top of the line ram 1500 and the setting to keep the automatic running boards deployed is buried in the menu on the infotainment screen with seat controls. It makes no sense why they would do it that way. Like why out the running board setting there?! I miss they days of a simple push button on near the main drivers controls. Lol
From Bigmanny in a post above..."When parked they should stay down for a longer period of time or until you lock the vehicle. There is an option menu item to change this and keep them deployed while in park (in order to access the roof), but it is buried deep and it only works for a single use. "

OP
OP
Dogged

Dogged

Reaction score
You can leave them down until the next forward movement with the truck off. Yes, it's 5 keystrokes deep in the menu.

Dave Mathews

Reaction score
Curiosity question from a full time detailer. Are you guys saying with the folding running boards that there’s no way to keep them while I the vehicle is off? I always keep them down on equipped vehicles the entire time I’m working a detail, to use as a step, to be able to properly clean them, and to avoid unnecessary battery strain on the system while I’m working. It seems like it’s getting harder and harder to utilize this function. I have a client with a brand new top of the line ram 1500 and the setting to keep the automatic running boards deployed is buried in the menu on the infotainment screen with seat controls. It makes no sense why they would do it that way. Like why out the running board setting there?! I miss they days of a simple push button on near the main drivers controls. Lol[/
Went out and checked my high country and the boards have on/off and a 2nd option of deploy. What that does is deploys the boards so you can wax roof etc. but once you move more than a couple miles and hour they close. I guess you could unplug them which I’m betting will set off some kind of alarm.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can leave them down until the next forward movement with the truck off. Yes, it's 5 keystrokes deep in the menu.
Thanks for the tips! I’m sure I’m going to have a client that’s going to have one of these things soon so it’s good to know where to look when I’m ready to detail one hehe

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great review, thank you. GM did a great job with the new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngeloUCF

Reaction score
With the extra 6" in length, are you able to park it in a standard 20' deep garage?
I'm wondering this as well. It was tight with my '15 and '16 so I'm guessing it might be a total PITA with this one being 6" longer.

Great review OP, thanks.

So are you guys saying the parking cameras don't automatically turn on when you are parking in a spot?

gary645

Reaction score
When parking if you momentarily shift into reverse, the cameras turn on - then shift back to drive and they stay on. Very helpful because the larger body makes for poor visibility in tight spaces.

Leothecat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes! Totally agree. Every time I try to park close to curb, signs, etc; you must filter through the menu to find camera. A quick access button is needed. Especially now that they have a "offroad" version/AT4. I would hate to have to keep searching through menus on the trail...
Just switch to r on the tranny button and then the camera comes on even if you then switch to d works great for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beat Ta hoes