12 Month Review - 2021 Yukon XL AT4 – 13,594 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCdad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been lurking this forum weekly since last year when I took up an account to ask ‘should I buy a 2021 Yukon XL’ and the kind people responded that I should wait.. However, you know what they say about a happy wife..

In reality our family needed a bigger rig. 3 kids and a dog were not cutting it in the Acaida we had. For years the Yukon XL was our dream ride, and the refresh model was so attractive looking we ended up pulling the trigger on one. In April 2021 we paid MSRP for the AT4 to be my wife's daily driver. This was purchased to be a true soccer mom whip.

What we got was a 2021 Yukon XL AT4 with the ‘premium package’ finished in onyx black. This truck is the 7 seat configuration. Like all ’21 AT4s this truck has the GM 5.3 L84 engine with Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM) and the 10 speed GM Hydra-Matic Automatic Transmission. The build date stamped on the truck was 3/2021. There were no missing components on the window sticker and no factory credits.

PROs:

Looks amazing. Best looking rigs on the road right now in my opinion – which is worthless – but wow do you feel good driving it. The 5.3 matted to the 10 speed has never left me looking for more power. The transmission is amazingly smooth. It picks up and goes at highway speeds with no issues. The RSE has been incredible. It makes long rides a breeze with young kids. The seats are comfortable as can be for long rides. The Magnetic Ride Control makes you feel like you are driving on a cloud. This truck is smooth as possible on the highway and eats up back country roads that make my Silverado feel like a washboard. There is ample room for other people to ride. We have fit 2 adults along with 3 car seats in the back with no complaints. HD surround vision has been so cool. Never have to worry when parking. I’ve stuffed this thing in some tight spots in parking garages that would have been closer to impossible without the technology.

CONs.

DFM – annoying. Wife says she cant tell the difference.. so people like her may not care.. I am here to tell you.. you can feel the difference when the truck is deactivating cylinders. There is a subtle feel the truck gives when DFM is activated. The old Acadia had Active Fuel Management (AFM) which would show you when the car was in v4 or v6 mode. The DFM does not tell you on the dash when it is working or what it is doing. I called Range Technologies however they do not offer the DFM delete for the SUVs, only the pickups. The auto stop is annoying. It is too quick to judge, leaving your truck going on and off fast at stop signs or intersections where your intention is not to fully ‘stop’ and wait. This can easily be turned on and off but you must do it each trip you take. I do use it when I know there is a long stop light though, because the last con is the gas mileage. I knew what I signed up for when getting this rig, but none the less, the gas mileage is not good. I have not once measured it properly but the dashboard reading leaves you feeling lousy about it if you are brave enough to look.

SERVICE:

I feel lucky and fortunate that this thing has treated my family exactly how I hoped she would. We have had 2 oil changes done, swapped the winter tires on and off, and had a mandatory recall for the airbag software. Only other issue we had was I removed the SD card for the navigation, not knowing what it was, which did create an issue. We had to get it diagnosed and then bring it back when they got the new SD card. Other than that, which was user error, we have been thrilled with this truck. I am looking forward to and hopeful for many more years with this truck just like the one we had.

We put over 13k miles in year 1 on this beauty. I wanted to give an honest review and update on our ownership experience on this new rig and show off some pictures. There have been people with issues who I feel for. I hope they all get resolved and made whole. The forum, like any, tends to focus on the negatives. I hope my positive experience can help someone who may be on the fence. This truck is amazing and I would buy it all over again if I could. Here are some pictures I took over the course of the year. I had to add a pic of it dirty too.. :)

Attachments

• day1.jpg
    day1.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 74
  • skitrip.jpg
    skitrip.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 71
  • picnic.jpg
    picnic.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 66
  • dirtroad.jpg
    dirtroad.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 62
  • site1.jpg
    site1.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 66

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! We're closing in on 12k miles on our slt and absolutely love it, excellent family vehicle. The only real difference between your experience and mine is I don't feel the fuel mileage is that bad at all considering this is a huge 6K pound box we're driving around. I've said this a few times before but our yukon is one of my most fuel efficient vehicles

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice review! I always like reading reviews of a product after 1 year+ of ownership. By then the excitement or buyer's remorse have worn off and now the review is less "emotional." Looks like your family gets out on lots of fun adventures!

OP
OP
G

GMCdad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome! We're closing in on 12k miles on our slt and absolutely love it, excellent family vehicle. The only real difference between your experience and mine is I don't feel the fuel mileage is that bad at all considering this is a huge 6K pound box we're driving around. I've said this a few times before but our yukon is one of my most fuel efficient vehicl

OP
OP
G

GMCdad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
oh yes i was definitely reaching for that con.. didnt have many to go with. love this rig!

OP
OP
G

GMCdad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice review! I always like reading reviews of a product after 1 year+ of ownership. By then the excitement or buyer's remorse have worn off and now the review is less "emotional." Looks like your family gets out on lots of fun adventures!
yes we are putting this truck to good use! i wanted to give a long term review as this is still a new truck and there is not a ton of info available!

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, nice to hear about positives.. despite some issues, I'd say the very vast majority are over the moon with their vehicles. We certainly are. I also agree about the camera system. Can't imagine how we lived without it. Same with camera rear view mirror. My list of positives are far longer than list of negatives...
I also agree with the service I have received. I have needed an out of state dealer to help me twice and each time they have done all they could to help me, get me an equal rental, and get me back in gear, at no charge to me. They didn't know me from Adam. Probably many bad ones out there, but more probably many good. Most are hamstrung by parts. That doesn't make them a bad dealer... So far so good....

Another point to make is if you want one and find one you can swing, don't wait. Life's to short. 2-3 years ago we thought these vehicles were expensive then too, now look where they are.... 2-3 years from now MSRP's will be higher yet, plus you will lose those years of enjoying it. They don't manufacture any more time.....

Marc Marc

Reaction score
My Yukon AT4 with a build date of 03/21 just turned over 36K miles so now is out of warranty. My experience has also been great, with no mechanical warranty claims to date. Love the ride, the room, the solid feel and safety. We regularly drive up and down the west coast. Have driven it safely through snow that had many other vehicles stranded and wrecked.

I really wanted a bigger engine but I must admit I have pulled my Ranger bassboat all over with no problem. Freeway entry has never left me wanting more power or speed so that was a pleasant surprise.

Was lucky enough to get all the chips so I have the full package of options and they all work well.

Just drove to SoCal from Seattle area and averaged 18 mpg. Not too bad but sure not as good as my previous 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid, which also had the bigger 6.0L engine. Wish GM had kept the hybrid versions in the lineup as I would have bought that instead.

My biggest complaint is the blackened chrome bumpers and grill. Constant road trips causes rock impacts that remove the black coating and letting the chrome come through.

Has anyone found a good touch-up treatment to cover these spots?

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swapped the winter tires on and off
I have a question, you purchased the AT4 which according to GMC is their most capable off-road offering in the marketplace (other then the AT4x). What tires came on the AT4 and what winter version did you go with?

Mashpeewamp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been lurking this forum weekly since last year when I took up an account to ask ‘should I buy a 2021 Yukon XL’ and the kind people responded that I should wait.. However, you know what they say about a happy wife..

In reality our family needed a bigger rig. 3 kids and a dog were not cutting it in the Acaida we had. For years the Yukon XL was our dream ride, and the refresh model was so attractive looking we ended up pulling the trigger on one. In April 2021 we paid MSRP for the AT4 to be my wife's daily driver. This was purchased to be a true soccer mom whip.

What we got was a 2021 Yukon XL AT4 with the ‘premium package’ finished in onyx black. This truck is the 7 seat configuration. Like all ’21 AT4s this truck has the GM 5.3 L84 engine with Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM) and the 10 speed GM Hydra-Matic Automatic Transmission. The build date stamped on the truck was 3/2021. There were no missing components on the window sticker and no factory credits.

PROs:

Looks amazing. Best looking rigs on the road right now in my opinion – which is worthless – but wow do you feel good driving it. The 5.3 matted to the 10 speed has never left me looking for more power. The transmission is amazingly smooth. It picks up and goes at highway speeds with no issues. The RSE has been incredible. It makes long rides a breeze with young kids. The seats are comfortable as can be for long rides. The Magnetic Ride Control makes you feel like you are driving on a cloud. This truck is smooth as possible on the highway and eats up back country roads that make my Silverado feel like a washboard. There is ample room for other people to ride. We have fit 2 adults along with 3 car seats in the back with no complaints. HD surround vision has been so cool. Never have to worry when parking. I’ve stuffed this thing in some tight spots in parking garages that would have been closer to impossible without the technology.

CONs.

DFM – annoying. Wife says she cant tell the difference.. so people like her may not care.. I am here to tell you.. you can feel the difference when the truck is deactivating cylinders. There is a subtle feel the truck gives when DFM is activated. The old Acadia had Active Fuel Management (AFM) which would show you when the car was in v4 or v6 mode. The DFM does not tell you on the dash when it is working or what it is doing. I called Range Technologies however they do not offer the DFM delete for the SUVs, only the pickups. The auto stop is annoying. It is too quick to judge, leaving your truck going on and off fast at stop signs or intersections where your intention is not to fully ‘stop’ and wait. This can easily be turned on and off but you must do it each trip you take. I do use it when I know there is a long stop light though, because the last con is the gas mileage. I knew what I signed up for when getting this rig, but none the less, the gas mileage is not good. I have not once measured it properly but the dashboard reading leaves you feeling lousy about it if you are brave enough to look.

SERVICE:

I feel lucky and fortunate that this thing has treated my family exactly how I hoped she would. We have had 2 oil changes done, swapped the winter tires on and off, and had a mandatory recall for the airbag software. Only other issue we had was I removed the SD card for the navigation, not knowing what it was, which did create an issue. We had to get it diagnosed and then bring it back when they got the new SD card. Other than that, which was user error, we have been thrilled with this truck. I am looking forward to and hopeful for many more years with this truck just like the one we had.

We put over 13k miles in year 1 on this beauty. I wanted to give an honest review and update on our ownership experience on this new rig and show off some pictures. There have been people with issues who I feel for. I hope they all get resolved and made whole. The forum, like any, tends to focus on the negatives. I hope my positive experience can help someone who may be on the fence. This truck is amazing and I would buy it all over again if I could. Here are some pictures I took over the course of the year. I had to add a pic of it dirty too.. :)
Got a 21 AT4 too with 50K miles, yeah we drive a lot. We call it the condo it's so big inside. No issues so far, other than a kinked roof drain that flooded my drivers side floor. Been very reliable and can pull our 5000 lb boat like a champ.