Black bear tune anyone increase MPG???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work here (obviously), and once I got my vehicle tuned, I just wanted to drive faster, it improved responsiveness, it's a lot of fun to drive. That, of course does not help my gas mileage necessarily. Someone said this a long time ago, they are getting "smiles per gallon" I thought that was great!

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short - you will lose mpg with custom tune. I lost 1-2 doing 93 octane custom on my 13, but it drove much better.
No matter what you do, you wont come close to getting K2 direct injection mpg in a gmt900 without losing a thousand pounds. Im seeing almost 5 mpg improvement going from the 13 to 18, and love it...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work here (obviously), and once I got my vehicle tuned, I just wanted to drive faster, it improved responsiveness, it's a lot of fun to drive. That, of course does not help my gas mileage necessarily. Someone said this a long time ago, they are getting "smiles per gallon" I thought that was great!
I like that! I get a lot of smiles out of my tuned Denali! Haha. And that’s way better than worrying about fuel!! :D

OP
OP
Seamus

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys! Its a second vehicle here and we are loving it, but was a little shocked at seeing 13-14 at one point! Its been a long time since seeing that. There is no comparing my 2017 Denali XL to this truck. The Denali was very fast and got great gas mileage. If I was driven by just mileage I would have kept it. But I hated the truck otherwise. Quality, ride comfort and seats were inferior at that price point. Tons of warranty work on both of them. The new ones are crap. No regrets other than going from a 15 Denali to a 17 Denali!! Finally gave up and traded it for an S550. Big win, but still needed a truck for the dog, kids and traveling Gymnastics meets!

This truck is awesome, comfortable seats, great ride quality. I actually got 18.4 roundtrip to Fort Lauderdale today. 75-82 mph. Its an hour each way mostly TP. I am pretty happy with that. I agree with the one post that the price of the tune will not pay for the fuel savings in many years. Very true. But if I can get this trans a little sharper and maybe pick up 1-2 mpg on an 87 tune I think it would be a big win and make the ride a bit nicer. I am going to confer with Black bear and my needs and wants to see if it will be an 87 or 91 tune? Thanks Guys

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, ...I found a 2013 suburban LTZ , white diamond, with heavy duty tow package and 3.42 gears, 2wd.

I got 17.5 mpg driving her home 250 miles. Around town I am getting 14 mpg. Well after all my service and new tune up parts I figured I pick up a little mpg???.........Well I was wrong!! I am getting 17.6

I guess I have been spoiled with better mileage these last years in the new trucks. Hated the trucks but loved the mileage. I figured with the sticker stating 21 mpg maybe 19 mpg wasn't an unreasonable expectation?

I have read many are in the 17 mpg range? Am I correct? Anything I can do?

The trans although shifting well ,never seems to be in the right gear for my acceleration. I am considering a black bear tune to get better shifting and a little power but those of you that have it can I expect to gain any MPG or will I lose MPG?? I just want better drivability and MPG. Love the truck otherwise, very happy to be back in the saddle. Newer is not always better, lesson learned...expensive lesson.

What MPGs are the 2wd guys getting?

Sorry for the long story, thanks for your experience and help

That version was rated for 15 city, 21 highway and 17 combined. On Fuelly, the average for all GMT900 SUVs with the 5.3 is 14.3 MPG.

Compared to mine, your motor has VVT and that was good for a 1 MPG improvement in city and highway.

Slow down. If you want better mileage, slow down. I'm an hour or so north of you so our terrain is about the same, our hills being highway overpasses and the local dump!

Here is my Yukon's MPG profile with an 8% alochol content burning 93 octane gasoline:

upload_2019-9-12_21-55-34.png

Note: RPMs are mathematically calculated. My truck has AFM turned off and was tuned in person by Justin @ BlackBear.

The truck has been averaging 15.5 MPG in combined city and highway driving. Not bad for a 4x4 with 3.42 gears and All-Terrain tires.

My favorite part of the BlackBear tune is the improved performance of the transmission. I was happy with the truck before the tune, no complaints, but she drives now completely different and for the better afterwards.

Edit: When I drive it, my average has been 16.2 MPG at an even slower speed than my wife's 15.5 average! LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seamus

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today the weather is pretty good and no wind. There has been a lot of wind lately with the recent storms. Driving 74-80 mph with an easy acceleration I got 19.6 mpg on the turnpike over an 82 mile span. Got off did a little city driving and then drove home same route a little more traffic. 18.4 mpg roundtrip. I am pretty happy with that. The only things that I haven't touched yet are the throttle body and MAF sensor. I think with 2 PSI in the tires and a BB tune I may get to a good number. But 18-19mpg is awesome for this truck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today the weather is pretty good and no wind. There has been a lot of wind lately with the recent storms. Driving 74-80 mph with an easy acceleration I got 19.6 mpg on the turnpike over an 82 mile span. Got off did a little city driving and then drove home same route a little more traffic. 18.4 mpg roundtrip. I am pretty happy with that. The only things that I haven't touched yet are the throttle body and MAF sensor. I think with 2 PSI in the tires and a BB tune I may get to a good number. But 18-19mpg is awesome for this truck.

My truck gets better mileage than gasoline running low mixtures of Ethanol, between 15% and 20%. You've got some Racetrac's down there that sell E85 pretty cheap and there are a few stations selling Unleaded 88 which is E15. Less expensive than 87 and delivers better mileage in my engine than Chevron's 93 octane.

fastscirocco

Reaction score
Shannon,

I have a 2014 GMC Yukon xl Denali that I would like to learn what tuning options there are.
I live in Kalamazoo, MI and don't believe you do tuning in my area.
The truck is in great shape with ~ 95,000 miles on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518