Tahoe idle oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dougo

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! I'm hoping the o ring is the problem for me, I'll find out in the next week or so once my parts are here! Let me know how the oil pressure is once you get it started!
I questioned it my self but after finding a number of You tubers said that o ring was their solution I added it to my PM list figuring if it was not failing it would be soon and my engine noises were more frequent. It also a good opportunity to clean the pan and see the internals , I also drove 2k miles over Christmas .

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only relate my experience as I never pulled the oil pan to replace the ORing on my recently sold 09 Hoe. When my oil pressure dropped to below 30 at idle I simply took that as a sign to change the oil regardless if it had reached my 5k max or not. After it had reached +266k miles the oil changes with full synthetic were at around 3k but the oil pressure always returned with the fresh oil installed Note: I sold it recently.
I ran it around 40 to 50k using that method with no issues. Sounds like it is too late for this OP since he has the front diff hanging by 1 bolt LOL but I would do the oil change and see if that makes a difference. If it does I would just adjust my oil change interval to push this repair back a few years and a bunch of miles or at least wait until I WANTED to do it. Of course I had a rear main seal leak too so mine really was going to be a major time consuming project. I recently fixed everything by ordering a 2023 New Toyota Truck (some of my buds say I gave away my soul LOL) and it just came in. It purrs like a kitten and has no oil pressure problems or any other problems either Hahah.

Attachments

• IMG_3395.jpg
    IMG_3395.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW the 07-14’s generally run a much lower oil pressure at idle, 20-30 is common but the 02-06 generally run 40 or higher. There’s differences in the engines like @iamdub mentioned.

Also of note, I have dropped the oil pan on my 02 Denali twice using the method of removing the front diff mounting bolts and letting it hang. It made it pretty easy, I just pried it down a bit extra and stuck a block of wood in there to keep it down. It wasn’t in the way like that and there’s just enough room to slide the pan out.

robnarley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did an o-ring replacement this weekend on an ‘06 with the 5.3. Prior to it, my pressure was about 25 at idle. Now I’m at 40 when warm, 45 when oil is cold. Engine is significantly quieter now, also.
To add to what others have said about just lowering the front diff instead of removing it, the factory manual says to just lower it, which is what I did.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 07 (309K), pressure dropped from normal of 32-35 at idle to 25. However, I was also having issues with the timing chain so I pulled the timing gears, oil pump and replaced as well. Did the pick-up tube o-ring too. I just lowered the diff. like Rocket explained.

One thing I would add to this conversation. I used to use high end puralator filters which I put on when I did the replacement. But I think I either got a bad one or they changed the back pressure valve/process in them because my oil pressure was lower than it should have been. I removed it, put on an AC-delco and the oil pressure was immediately what is should be - FWIW.

dougo

Reaction score
Some days I believe anything is possible i use the same oil and filters for years so that not my issue having diff out of the will make it a lot easer , check and clean you ground wire driver side while your under their having the diff out will make that very accessible,
190k Most of its life Mobil 1 Tahoe 190k .jpg

robnarley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Some days I believe anything is possible i use the same oil and filters for years so that not my issue having diff out of the will make it a lot easer , check and clean you ground wire driver side while your under their having the diff out will make that very accessible,
190k Most of its life Mobil 1

Did you have to remove any of your steering parts to get the differential out?

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have to remove any of your steering parts to get the differential out?
I did not! It was VERY, VERY tight to get out, lots of choice 4 lettered words came out of my mouth. The key was turning the steering wheel all the way to the right, that allowed just enough clearance to maneuver it around enough for it to come out.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thinking about putting the differential back on after I'm done with everything, I'm considering just removing the whole steering linkage that goes through it, the tie rods, idler arm and pitman arm bolts. It would make it juristically easier to get in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n